August 2007 RVGs

mgraham333

The Quebec is a great session. I love Kenny Burrell's playing on that.

I'll probably get the Duke Jordan. I've always been intrigued by the cover - Reid Miles almost never used serif type - the cover almost looks like a Riverside rather than a BN. I have the others - the Morgans on the Mosaic box. I don't particularly care for the Chambers - too much solo bass; it's just not that interesting a lead instrument.

The Quebec is a great session. I love Kenny Burrell's playing on that.

I'll probably get the Duke Jordan. I've always been intrigued by the cover - Reid Miles almost never used serif type - the cover almost looks like a Riverside rather than a BN. I have the others - the Morgans on the Mosaic box. I don't particularly care for the Chambers - too much solo bass; it's just not that interesting a lead instrument.

Agreed. My favorite Quebec session!

I wont buy any of these - have them as TOCJ (Chambers - good one, in my opinion!), Conn (Quebec & Davis), part of a Mosaic (Morgan) and the Jordan I have from an Italian Blue Note Magazine issue. That Jordan is a hell of a fine album, by the way! Dizzy Reece is great on it, as is Stanley Turrentine!

Still a rather underwhelming bunch, to me...

I wont buy any of these - have them as TOCJ (Chambers - good one, in my opinion!), Conn (Quebec & Davis), part of a Mosaic (Morgan) and the Jordan I have from an Italian Blue Note Magazine issue. That Jordan is a hell of a fine album, by the way! Dizzy Reece is great on it, as is Stanley Turrentine!

The only ones I have from this bunch are Bass on Top and Morgan Vol. 3. This is the most exciting RVG batch since I started buying them about three years ago.

I also have the Chambers TOCJ and agreed that the sound is terrific on that one, so I probably will not upgrade it. If anyone missed out on the early conn's and cc's though, there are a lot of those in this and the upcoming batch. I'm planning on grabbing the Davis since I passed on this one when it was reissued 12 years ago.

I also have the Chambers TOCJ and agreed that the sound is terrific on that one, so I probably will not upgrade it. If anyone missed out on the early conn's and cc's though, there are a lot of those in this and the upcoming batch. I'm planning on grabbing the Davis since I passed on this one when it was reissued 12 years ago.

Has it really been 12 years since Davis Cup came out as a Connoisseur? Jeez...

The only ones I have from this bunch are Bass on Top and Morgan Vol. 3. This is the most exciting RVG batch since I started buying them about three years ago.

Ok, that's a point of course! Anyway, I'm young too and started buying jazz around the time when the first batches of Conns were already impossible to find, still in the meantime I was able to get what I wanted in most cases, as far as BN is concerned, and while the Conns still hold some surprises, the RVGs as a series of reissues of stuff already on CD has turned more and moring to me... there were some cases, like that Lee Morgan disc with Frank Mitchell on tenor, The Sixth Sense, where the old CD edition had been out for just two years or so (and can still be found today), but already it was RVGed... it's just that I don't get the reissuing again and again of the same stuff... they could instead just keep some of it a bit longer in print and reissue other things instead that have become rarer to find (where's Reuben Wilson's "Blue Mode"? I didn't try really hard, but I never found that, for instance...)

Those are nice albums, but...

Got the Mosaic Select...

Got the Connoisseur Edition...

Got the Connoisseur Edition...

Got the Japanese edition... (could've been the old Mosaic set just as well)

Got the Japanese edition... (could've been the old Mosaic set just as well)

Got the Japanese edition... (could've been the Conn just as well)

Just a little correction: Flight to Jordan was out twice (once as an early cd, one as a "Collectors Classic" reissue) in the US, but never as a Connoisseur.

I have all this material. . . but I really like the RVG series, I think the sound, the covers and the layout are better than earlier issues, and I've bought every item in the series so far so I'll be getting these. I wait and get them as cheaply as possible for the most part.

Just a little correction: Flight to Jordan was out twice (once as an early cd, one as a "Collectors Classic" reissue) in the US, but never as a Connoisseur.

You're right, my mistake. I thought it was one of those early Conns without the typical transparent spine.

You're right, my mistake. I thought it was one of those early Conns without the typical transparent spine.

As a matter of fact, my copy has the white spine typical of the first few Connoisseur issues. Go figure.

As a matter of fact, my copy has the white spine typical of the first few Connoisseur issues. Go figure.

Mine does, as well. Very nice record, sort of similar to "True Blue" in the sense that it's nothing revolutionary, just really well-played hard bop.

Mine does, as well. Very nice record, sort of similar to "True Blue" in the sense that it's nothing revolutionary, just really well-played hard bop.

There's something so "in the groove" about this session; I love it. In the sense you mention of being really well-played, melodic, hard bop, True Blue, Flight To Jordan, and Davis Cup are among my favorite Blue Notes.