Happy Birthday, Jazzbo!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mes amis. . . . .

Scott, I need those wishes for a better year. . . because it's looking to be a nightmare, with my wife now diagnosed with MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) from all the chemotherapy she's had and we're in a matter of weeks facing the beginning of treatment for an unmatched donor bone marrow transplant. . . .According to our doctors I have a one in three chance of having a cured healthy wife after about six or more months in Houston at M. D. Anderson and environs.

I'm not really putting much effort into celebrating my birthday, just trying to keep myself grounded one day at a time as I struggle to do as much work as I can while also preparing for what's ahead.

Sorry to hear that too. I hope a donor match appears somehow for your wife. It probably goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway - I admire how you've supported and stood by her throughout all of this. I'm sure that's made a positive difference for her :)

Thanks E! I know I'm appreciated, I just wish I could do more for her. I've been crazy about Helen since 1973 and I need her.

Through more than a year of querying the database and paying big dollars for testing only one donor has ever appeared. . . a 9/10 match. . . which guarantees host vs. graft disease of some extent, making this a risky procedure. The donor has agreed to the process this week, has been tested, and will probably within the next few days give the hospital a "collection" date, and then we'll know when to show up in Houston.

Happy birthday, Lon! I can't imagine what you and Helen are going through, but I hope you know that you've got a host of friends here for you. This one, anyway, is merely three hours away north on I-35, (and I'm sure there are others geographically closer than me) so if you need anything, we're here for you & Helen. Y'all are constantly in my prayers.

Thanks all. . . I'm getting ready to take Helen to the clinic for a test and most likely to the hospital for a platelet transfusion. . . and checking my phone and email for work as well. . .if I get through all this in the next ten hours or so tomorrow will feel like a birthday indeed.

Yes, sharing a birthday with Louis is great. . . I can always celebrate his with a hearty enthusiasm!

Been thinking a lot about you since your last update - I know it looks bad but I remember how bad it looked for my brother before his BMT, and its over ten years now that he's been healthy. Hang in there, and spin some Louis if you need some spirit lifting! Or if you don't ... :g