Phil Woods videos

brownie

Phil Woods and other members of the Quincy Jones big band in 1960. With Woods are Clark Terry, Quentin Jackson, Sahib Shihab, Patti Bown, Buddy Catlett and Joe Harris

Ornithology

Undecided

Woods is the featured player on this 1968 video

And When We Were Young

Other musicians on that one include Jimmy Owens on trumpet, Slide Hampton on trombone, Lee Konitz on alto, Gato Barbieri on tenor...

Thanks for the links, brownie! Great music!

I hadn't seen that '68 set before. Jimmy Owens playing the rotary-valve trumpet! I forgot he did that.

It sure sounded like one of Slide's arrangements. It's always a trip to see him play the trombone left-handed- I'm left handed too, but learned to play the horn right-handed.

I have no idea if this is way off base, but in '67-'68 Slide did some recording with Henri Texier (bass) and Daniel Humair (drums). Are these by any chance the guys on this session? Who's the other trumpet?

Phil sure sounded great, on all of it.

Great stuff! :)

I have no idea if this is way off base, but in '67-'68 Slide did some recording with Henri Texier (bass) and Daniel Humair (drums). Are these by any chance the guys on this session? Who's the other trumpet?

Definitely not Texier or Humair! Can't identify the other musicians although I think I recognize Stu Martin on drums but can't be certain about it. The pianist might be Joachim Kuhn!

I have a Polygram VHS tape from Brazil recorded in France sometime in '89 (that I've since made a DVD-R copy of) whcih consists of a tribute to Bird. Woods is not only on many of the tracks of this all star date but he is featured with Jackie McLean on a tremendous version of "Cherokee" in which the two alto masters really show off their wonderful mastery of the bebop idiom. Anyway here are the details of the tape which is part documentary in that most of the musicians are also interviewed between performances.

TRIBUTE TO CHARLIE PARKER; France, 1989; 57 mins (Verve Polygram VHS source)

featuring in a variety of settings: Dizzy Gillespie (tp); Jackie McLean, Phil Woods (as); Stan Getz (ts);

Milt Jackson (vb); Hank Jones (p); Percy Heath (b); Max Roach (d)

Musician interviews (subtitles in Portuguese) interspersed with rehearsal and stage

performances of the following titles:

Steeplechase

Groovin’ High

The Very Thought of You (HJ solo)

Con Alma (features DG & SG)

‘Round Midnight (MJ, DG, JM)

Confirmation

Cherokee (features JM & PW)

A Night in Tunisia

Yardbird Suite

Definitely not Texier or Humair! Can't identify the other musicians although I think I recognize Stu Martin on drums but can't be certain about it. The pianist might be Joachim Kuhn!

May 31, 1968

Studio 10, Grosser Sendesaal des NDR Funkhauses, Hamburg

And When We're Young (Phil Woods)

Jimmy Owens (tpt, flh); Ack Van Rooyen (tpt); Slide Hampton (tb, arr); Lee Konitz (as); Phil Woods (as); Gato Barbieri (ts); Volker Kriegel (g); Joachim Kühn (p, org); Günter Lenz (b, g); Barry Altschul (d); Aldo Romano (d)

May 31, 1968

Studio 10, Grosser Sendesaal des NDR Funkhauses, Hamburg

And When We're Young (Phil Woods)

Jimmy Owens (tpt, flh); Ack Van Rooyen (tpt); Slide Hampton (tb, arr); Lee Konitz (as); Phil Woods (as); Gato Barbieri (ts); Volker Kriegel (g); Joachim Kühn (p, org); Günter Lenz (b, g); Barry Altschul (d); Aldo Romano (d)

Many thanks, Eloe :tup

Should have recognised Altschul, sted of Stu Martin! Could not remember for sure Kuhn's sideburns :blink: Aldo Romano is not visible in the video!

Edited by brownie

Many thanks, Eloe :tup

Should have recognised Altschul, sted of Stu Martin! Could not remember for sure Kuhn's sideburns :blink: Aldo Romano is not visible in the video!

Here's the complete tracklist (it seems that a couple of CDRs are floating around somewhere...):

Disc 1

1 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 0:08

2 Never Subject to Change (J. Owens) 4:05

3 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 5:45

4 The Jazz Galeo (J. Owens) 10:24

Solos: Mangelsdorff, Lenz, Kriegel

5 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 2:45

6 Blue Mist (L. Hampton) 9:28

Solos: Van Rooyen, Barbieri, Hampton, Kühn

7 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 1:00

8 Western Meaning (J. Kühn) 11:24

Solos: Kühn, collective, Kühn

9 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 2:12

10 And When We're Young (P. Woods) 7:56

Solo: Woods

11 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 2:25

12 We Are Going Up (J. Owens) 8:34

Solos: Kühn, Woods, Owens, Barbieri

13 Unknown Title 7:08

Disc 2

1 String Tales 1 (G. Lenz) 4:52

Solos: Kriegel, Hampton

2 String Tales 2 (G. Lenz) 3:04

Solo: Lenz (g)

3 String Tales 3 (G. Lenz) 3:58

Solos: Kriegel, Lenz (g)

4 Tribute to Louis (L. Konitz) 6:49

Solos: Woods/Konitz, Hampton/Barbieri, Owens/Van Rooyen

5 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 3:51

6 Caen '68 (G. Barbieri) 7:48

Solos: Barbieri, Kühn

7 Introduction (Hans Gertberg) 1:00

8 Milan is Love (J. Owens) 4:17

Solo: Owens

9 Introduction (Hans Gertberg and Joachim Kühn) 3:19

Gertberg talks about the music then introduces Kühn, who describes the piece

10 Present and Future (J. Kühn) (inc) 10:11

Solos: Barbieri, Kühn (org), Kriegel

NDR Jazz Workshop No. 57 - "Present and Future"; produced by Hans Gertberg. "Never Subject to Change" and "Tribute to Louis" are included on the LP NDR Jazzworkshop '68/'69 (NDR 654 057).

I have a Polygram VHS tape from Brazil recorded in France sometime in '89 (that I've since made a DVD-R copy of) whcih consists of a tribute to Bird. Woods is not only on many of the tracks of this all star date but he is featured with Jackie McLean on a tremendous version of "Cherokee" in which the two alto masters really show off their wonderful mastery of the bebop idiom. Anyway here are the details of the tape which is part documentary in that most of the musicians are also interviewed between performances.

TRIBUTE TO CHARLIE PARKER; France, 1989; 57 mins (Verve Polygram VHS source)

featuring in a variety of settings: Dizzy Gillespie (tp); Jackie McLean, Phil Woods (as); Stan Getz (ts);

Milt Jackson (vb); Hank Jones (p); Percy Heath (b); Max Roach (d)

Musician interviews (subtitles in Portuguese) interspersed with rehearsal and stage

performances of the following titles:

Steeplechase

Groovin’ High

The Very Thought of You (HJ solo)

Con Alma (features DG & SG)

‘Round Midnight (MJ, DG, JM)

Confirmation

Cherokee (features JM & PW)

A Night in Tunisia

Yardbird Suite

This was picked up from French TV. I videotaped the show too.

The music was released on A&M as The Paris All Stars 'Homage to Charlie Parker'

paris.jpg

The concert from the videotape was held on June 14, 1989 at the Grande Halle de la Villette in Paris. Earlier in the day, all the musicians (plus Billy Eckstine) were at the French Culture ministry offices to be made Officers of the Order of Arts & Letters. The music on the released CD came from the folllowing day concert.

I attended the medals presentation. Most impressive gathering of jazz greats I attended!

I hadn't seen that '68 set before. Jimmy Owens playing the rotary-valve trumpet! I forgot he did that.

I'm certainly no expert, but is there any chance that's a rotary valve flugelhorn that Owens is playing??

My first thought seeing the clip was it sure looked more like a flugel than a trumpet to me...

...but maybe rotary-valve trumpets just look that way (more like flugels).

Woods is the featured player on this 1968 video

And When We Were Young

Other musicians on that one include Jimmy Owens on trumpet, Slide Hampton on trombone, Lee Konitz on alto, Gato Barbieri on tenor...

The session video of this NDR session has been up on 'the other site' and it is great. Owens is definitely playing rotary valve flugel on some of the numbers.

Must have been filmed very close timewise to the session Owens did with the Gillespie Reunion Big Band that year at the Berlin Fest.

Edited by sidewinder