How many rvgs remasters do you own?

Soulstation1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 32. Most of them are the first time I heard these albums in any incarnation.

But I don't how Blue Note can call these 'audiophile releases'. I certainly didn't think that was the main purpose of them. Compared to the MoFi versions of BNs I own like 'Something Else' or 'Night in Tunisia' they are not in same league. 24 bit or 2bit, compressed sound is a no no if you are going for an audiophile market.

As a relative newcomer, I don't have that many of the previous releases of these titles. I've probably "upgraded" to RVGS about 5 times so far, and already have the previous versions of Our Man in Paris and Adam's Apple, so I'll have to think about those two.

I haven't picked up any of the August or September RVGs (unless you count the Blue Train SACD, since the CD layer is supposedly the same as the RVG) yet, but of all the remaining RVGs I'm only missing the two Thelonious Monk cds.

Edit - I'm also sans In Pursuit of the 27th Man. Had it, didn't click with me (only RVG so far with that problem), traded it.

Edited by Aggie87

38. I'm pretty much of the same opinion as Daniel A- it's been awhile since I bought one for the purpose of upgrading the sound. It's not that I think that's completely unnecessary, but with so many other CD's I want to buy, I just can no longer afford to buy every sonic upgrade. I've had all this music for so many years on old LP's, reissue LP's, and early CD's, that I've really gotten tired of rebuying everything. I'll do it mainly when I'm getting at least some tracks that aren't already in my collection. Plus, like Daniel I've got a lot of TOCJ's that I really like (and spent a LOT of money on)...

I am at 27 and plan to add many more. My upgrades are Wayne Shorter's "Speak No Evil" and Monk Vol 1 & 2. After comparing them to the older McMasters versions, I have no regrets. Usually I avoid repurchasing music so that my limited funds can go further in building my library.

For those of you who have upgraded frequently, which are the biggest improvements?

I've got somewhere in the upper 70s

20 or so upgrades. (I'm the sucker Blue Note made this series for)

Plan on upgrades of Mode for Joe, Search For the New Land, Our Man in Paris, and even Blue Train

My only upgrade regrets are The Sermon and Houseparty. Should've at least kept the McMasters for the extra tracks.

61. More than I expected. 38 were first acquisitions, 23 were upgrades. I give away the old versions to folks that are curious about jazz but have few, if any, titles.

Great series, but as others have noted elsewhere, it causes me to hesitate picking up non-RVG items in the back catalog (Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers, anyone?).

61. More than I expected. 38 were first acquisitions, 23 were upgrades. I give away the old versions to folks that are curious about jazz but have few, if any, titles. I also refrain from purchasing any RVGs, especially upgrades, for more than $9 delivered (this has gotten a bit tougher given the Tower demise).

Great series, but as others have noted elsewhere, it causes me to hesitate picking up non-RVG items in the back catalog (Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers, anyone?).

Edited by Patrick

I haven't counted them, but I have the whole series up through the ones just released in August and Sept, and I have picked up 4 of those so far. Will eventually get them all. The majority were upgrades from crappy late 80's jobs by McMaster and some others.

So what's not to like? Cheap, nearly always improved sound over other U.S. (and to my ears many Japanese) editions, and uniformly great music. One of the best bargains in jazz reissues.

Edited by DrJ

68, yet I'm not a completist by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe about half of these were upgrades. I hate doing that though.

I guess I fall into the camp of those who like the remastered versions over the originals, but I still hate having to spend money on something I've already got. I like the added liner notes too.

55 RVG's. Funny story.

Several years ago (as a result from buying eds 2 and then 3 of the AMG) I drastically buffered up my Jazz collection and BN cd's were no exception. This was prior to the RVG series, or at least around 98 or early 99. Anyways, after this surge in activity, I went off jazz for a while into other interests. By the time I started picking up some of the RVG's I realized that all of the older editions I had were among the first to be remastered. That list contained Idle Moments, Out To Lunch, Speak No Evil, PoD, Somethin' Else, Maden Voyage, Soul Station, Real McCoy and Unity. The rest of the stuff I gradually sold off. I have only upgraded a few of those (Somethin Else, PoD, Soul Station and now STFNL). Baically i want to upgrade everything. I upgraded my Rush, Genesis and Floyd collections and am gradually upgrading my Tulls as well! I think its a necessary process, but how far does it have to go.

Now I have to worry about my Dylan collection and the Costello Reissues are now all released!!