"Jazz and Jack Kerouac" tonight on Night Lights

ghost of miles

Jazz and Jack Kerouac

...includes info about the program, a link to the entire 26-minute underground film Pull My Daisy (narrated by Kerouac, jazz score by David Amram), Larry Kart's excellent essay on the topic (which he posted here in a Kerouac thread on the board), a video clip of Kerouac reading from On the Road on The Steve Allen Show, a talk by Sam Charters about Kerouac and jazz, and more. The program will air this evening at 11:05 p.m. EST on WFIU, at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN, and at 10 p.m. EST Sunday evening on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio. The program will be posted for online listening Monday morning in the Night Lights archives.

Next week: "The Incomplete Sonny Berman."

Edited by ghost of miles

• 10 months later...
  • 13 years later...

Upping this today in honor of Jack Kerouac’s centennial:

Jazz and Jack Kerouac

In addition to the description in my initial post, the program includes commentary from Indiana University musicologist Phil Ford, author of the book Dig: Sound and Music in Hip Culture (and these days co-host of the fascinating podcast Weird Studies).

Edited by ghost of miles

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Upping this today in honor of Jack Kerouac’s centennial:

Jazz and Jack Kerouac

In addition to the description in my initial post, the program includes commentary from Indiana University musicologist Phil Ford, author of the book Dig: Sound and Music in Hip Culture (and these days co-host of the fascinating podcast Weird Studies).

Did you refer to the "Jazz and Jack Kerouac" chapter in my book?

19 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Did you refer to the "Jazz and Jack Kerouac" chapter in my book?

It’s been a long time since I listened back to the original program, but I’m pretty sure I quoted from it at some point. I also linked to your online posting of your essay in the program’s web post and at the top of this thread. It’s definitely the best piece I’ve read on the topic.