Dave Holland Quintet

sal

I'm very surprised that there has not been more talk over here about this incredible album! This is an absolutely unbelievable recording! My girlfriend bought it for me a couple weeks ago, and I haven't been able to put it down. Its definitely the best album thus far by the Dave Holland Quintet, and I believe it has a very good shot at being the album of 2003. The live setting really allows this group to stretch out so much more than on thier studio recordings. If anyone has any doubts that this combo will go down in history as one of the greatest working bands in all of jazz, this album should dispel those doubts upon the first listen. The hottest track is the last song on CD 2, called "Metamorphos". WOW!!!! But all the tracks are blistering. For me, the best part is hearing that incredible chemistry between Chris Potter & Robin Eubanks, and the brilliant drumming by Billy Kilson. After seeing the quintet live, I didn't think that there would be anything that could capture that experience, but amazingly, this album does. This one gets my highest possible recommendation.

Has anyone heard it? Post your opinions here!

My girlfriend bought it for me a couple weeks ago.....

Marry that woman! :wub:

Yeah, the Holland is EXCELLENT. I read some remarks by Robin Eubanks (BTW, wasn't he great as host of the "Newlywed Game"?) at Jazz Corner where he said he wasn't happy w/his performance, but I hear nothing on the recording to support that claim. I think he and Chris play very well together, and the variety of textures the group achieves w/its instrumentation is really impressive. It's nice to hear some quintet playing that's more "organic" and not simply "horns vs. rhythm section" or "head/solos/trade/head". The integration and seamlessness of improvisation and ensemble playing makes for some inspired music, very different from much of what is out there currently.