Frank Rosolino

Tom 1960

Since I admire jazz trombonists like Curtis Fuller and JJ Johnson, a friend recommended to me to look into Frank Rosolino. This album in particular sounds quite good. AMG gives this recording 5 stars. e772288sif2.jpg

Any thoughts on this release or any of Rosolino's other dates? Comments are appreciated.

Rosolino is my favorite trombonist. This album is good, but I like "I Play Trombone" (Bethlehem) better, and I'm especially fond of a 2-CD live set on Sackville entitled "Thinking About You."

Coming in a few months is a Rosolino/Carl Fontana live date on Uptown. It was recorded in Vancouver, August '78.

:party::g:party::g:party::g:party::g:party::g:party::g:party::g:party::g

Great news Chuck!

And yes, marcello, I've also been waiting for Conversation to come out on CD. There are several alternate takes, additional tunes and extended versions that would make a nice length CD. Keep hope alive!

I'll post on some other favorite Frank sides when I get a chance- gotta run!

Coming in a few months is a Rosolino/Carl Fontana live date on Uptown. It was recorded in Vancouver, August '78.

Great news Chuck!

And yes, marcello, I've also been waiting for Conversation to come out on CD. There are several alternate takes, additional tunes and extended versions that would make a nice length CD. Keep hope alive!

I've been listening to Rosolino for a long time. You can find him all over the place, especially on several of the Howard Rumsey Lighthouse Allstars discs on Contemporary. If you're looking for his own sessions, I'd especially recommend "Free for All" recorded for Specialty in December 1958 and reissued on cd on Original Jazz Classics (OJCCD-1763-2). Rosolino's version of "Star Dust" on that disc is to die for, the sound is excellent, and the group is fine: Harold Land on tenor, Victor Feldman on piano, Leroy Vinnegard on bass, and Stan Levey, drums.

I too would like to see "Conversation" on cd. Mosaic has been issuing some RCA material. Assuming there were enough alternates and additional tracks, it might interest them for one of their new singles series.

Frank Rosolino has some great moments on the following recordings:

Buddy Rich - This One's For Basie (Verve) 1956

Benny Carter - Jazz Giant (Contemporary) 1957

Barney Kessel - Let's Cook (Contemporary) 1957 including a terrific "Tiger Rag"

Bill Holman Big Band - In A Jazz Orbit (Andex) 1958

Louie Bellson - 150 MPH (Concord) 1974

Bobby Knight's Great American Trombone Co. - Cream Of The Crop (Jazz Mark) 1978

and I second the recommendation for "Free For All"

Looks like most of the best sides have been mentioned already. I'm loving GregM's idea of issuing Conversation as a Mosaic single. Might be time to start a campaign.

Also another vote for his fine playing on Stitt's I Remember Bird. An overlooked side to be sure.

There is also a recording of Frank w/the Metropole Orchestra that had a limited release called "Fond Memories of...". It came with a book of transcriptions of Frank's solos from the recording. Great stuff if you can find it. He plays a long solo on All The Things You Are that's pretty amazing.

And of course his Jazz Scene USA segment is one of the best of that series IMHO.

Great to see all the love for Frank.

EDIT: I just thought of a couple more noteworthy Rosolino sideman appearances- on Frank Strazzeri's A View From Within and Don Menza's First Flight. Also Buddy Collette's Jazz Loves Paris.

Edited by Free For All

Guest Bill Barton

Too bad this one's not on CD:

candolirosolino.jpg

Great session!

Great news Chuck!

I've been listening to Rosolino for a long time. You can find him all over the place, especially on several of the Howard Rumsey Lighthouse Allstars discs on Contemporary. If you're looking for his own sessions, I'd especially recommend "Free for All" recorded for Specialty in December 1958 and reissued on cd on Original Jazz Classics (OJCCD-1763-2). Rosolino's version of "Star Dust" on that disc is to die for, the sound is excellent, and the group is fine: Harold Land on tenor, Victor Feldman on piano, Leroy Vinnegard on bass, and Stan Levey, drums.

I too would like to see "Conversation" on cd. Mosaic has been issuing some RCA material. Assuming there were enough alternates and additional tracks, it might interest them for one of their new singles series.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Conversation is one of my all-time favorite albums and most definitely deserves a quality reissue in digital format.

This is quite good:

Frank Rosolino

The Last Recording

SeaBreeze 3080

1. Misty (Radio Edit)

2. I Thought About You (Radio Edit)

3. Waltz For Diane (Take Two)

4. Misty

5. I Thought About You

6. Waltz For Diane (Take One)

w/Larry Willis (piano), Kevin Brandon (bass) and Billy Higgins (drums).

Recorded August 1, 1978

post-522-1190470341.jpg

This is quite good:

Frank Rosolino

The Last Recording

SeaBreeze 3080

1. Misty (Radio Edit)

2. I Thought About You (Radio Edit)

3. Waltz For Diane (Take Two)

4. Misty

5. I Thought About You

6. Waltz For Diane (Take One)

w/Larry Willis (piano), Kevin Brandon (bass) and Billy Higgins (drums).

Recorded August 1, 1978

Caveat:

Frank is playing with an electric attachment similar to a Varitone or Multivider on this. He still plays his ass off, but some may find the gizmo distracting. :beee:

Edited by Stereojack

I became aware of Rosolino's art viz 'The Music of the M Sqaud' on RCA which I enjoy quite a bit. Yeah, it has a little bit of TV kitsch to it, but it is still some pretty fine jazz music. I read a terrible outcome of Rosolino's final year in the 4th edition of the Penguin guide to jazz where he murdered his kids, wife then himself in the late 70's because he was depressed. Jesus, that was heartbreaking to read :(

I became aware of Rosolino's art viz 'The Music of the M Sqaud' on RCA which I enjoy quite a bit. Yeah, it has a little bit of TV kitsch to it, but it is still some pretty fine jazz music. I read a terrible outcome of Rosolino's final year in the 4th edition of the Penguin guide to jazz where he murdered his kids, wife then himself in the late 70's because he was depressed. Jesus, that was heartbreaking to read :(

Not that it's any less sad, but one of Frank's sons survived (but with some permanent damage including blindness). Frank's wife Diane was not home at the time.

Speaking of films, Frank was also in "I Want To Live" (in the band w/Mulligan).

Caveat:

Frank is playing with an electric attachment similar to a Varitone or Multivider on this. He still plays his ass off, but some may find the gizmo distracting. :beee:

It's a Conn Multivider. Electronic gizmo or not, however, to me some of Frank's performances in this CD are among his best ever. His solo in "Misty" is incredible (and the rhythm section is a pleasure to hear) :D