Nelson's Stolen Moments

porcy62

Oliver re-recorded it for East Wind, in 1975. Issued in the US on Inner City.

The other members of the band were

Bobby Bryant - tp, flg

Jerome Richardson - picc, fl, sops

Buddy Collette - fl, ts

Bobby Bryant Jr - fl, ts (I think this was his first recording)

Jack Nimitz - bars

Mike Wofford - p, el p

Chuck Domanico - el b

Shelley Manne - d

I love that session. Thanks for reminding me.

MG

That's an excellent version and a really good cd.

Good luck finding a copy though .

Where's the smiley for "smiles smugly"?

MG

Inner City released a licensed version in America that might be easier to find.

^

Swot I sed Guv :)

MG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And don't forget J.J. Johnson, on his RCA album which is available in a couple CD versions (including a Mosaic Select). I think Nelson arranged that one.

Wow, ever since I first heard this version I just assumed it was JJ's rendition, it has his concept all over it. I looked it up 'cause I thought you were mistaken...

So it's really Oliver's re-arrangement! Cool! He really "re-thunk" it for the occasion. I love all the charts on that JJ Single.

My copy of LORD indicates that there are 102 recorded versions of Stolen Moments. I suspect that there have been quite a few more in the past few years since my version of LORD was published.

The latest version of the Lord lists 140 recorded versions of the tune!

Wow!

BTW I just noted that shortly it will realise the latest version on cd-rom.

http://www.lordisco.com/

Definitely a must have for any jazz fan.

My copy of LORD indicates that there are 102 recorded versions of Stolen Moments. I suspect that there have been quite a few more in the past few years since my version of LORD was published.

Wow!

I think the consensus is that it's good but not THAT good - sawfly spensiv.

MG

Wow!

I think the consensus is that it's good but not THAT good - sawfly spensiv.

MG

Didn't see the price... Yep 350 $ :wacko:

I wake up this morning with Stolen Moments' melody in my mind. I know that is on Nelson's The Blues and.., I've got it on a Zappa's record too.

Btw, the Zappa version (on Broadway the Hard Way) isn't bad at all. Nice trumpet solo by Walt Fowler. Funny how at the end of the tune the band starts to play The Police's Murder by Numbers, with Sting as a guest singer <_<

• 13 years later...

Just saw a comment in a Reddit thread saying what a perfect tune "Stolen Moments" is -- and I had to agree, and was about to start a brand new thread here just like this one I found from almost 14 years ago.  I also just confessed (there on Reddit) that much as I love it, I rarely cite "Stolen Moments" as one of my all-time favorite tunes. And then the more I thought about it, I realized it was because I have so few other versions of it in my collection. And I don't think I've ever heard it played out in the wild (live) -- not even once.

Oddly enough, I think the Frank Zappa version (from 1988) was actually the very first version I ever heard or owned), probably around 1989 -- which would have been less than a full year into my earliest personal interest in jazz (the summer between my sophomore and junior years in college).

But even now, the only versions I own -- apart from the version on Blues and the Abstract Truth -- are...

Zappa, Booker Ervin, Lockjaw Davis (mainly because I have the Dolphy box), and the Ahmad Jamal -- and I think that's it, just those four.  I looked carefully through the list of versions on Allmusic, and if I have any other versions, then they're not listed there.

I have heard the JJ Johnson version (years ago), and that's an album I probably should have, but just never got around to.  But that's the only obvious oversight I'm seeing, in terms of versions I should have, but don't.

I'm surprised more piano-players haven't taken on recording the tune, at least on piano-trio and solo-piano dates.  I agree with Jim's assessment (upthread) about players at jam sessions not wanting to take on tunes with lengthy heads -- but I wouldn't think that piano-players (in horn-less settings) would have that same bias.  It would seem like a perfect vehicle show show off just how lovely a tune it is, and how beautifully it can be played.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 9/27/2007 at 1:46 PM, brownie said:

FWIW, the Lord discography now lists 241 entries for "Stolen Moments."  Virtually all of those are surely the Oliver Nelson tune and not some other tune with the same title. All 241 may well be the Nelson tune but without looking at each entry I can't be totally sure. 

Coda: I always assumed that Blues and the Abstract Truth (2/23/61) marked the debut of the song but, in fact, it's first appearance is on the Lockjaw's Train Whistle (9/20/60)