British jazz reissues

RogerF

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Hi, it was reissued by Emanem in 2014. I haven’t heard the original or the earlier reissue but this CD sounds very good to my ears. http://www.emanemdisc.com/E5046.html

regards 

Anthony

London

unfortunately Martin has no more copies of his recent rerelease of Karyobin & is not considering reissue at this stage. Contacted him earlier this year regarding this CD.

http://www.emanemdisc.com/cd-stevens.html#5046

Edited by romualdo

On 11/7/2022 at 9:28 PM, romualdo said:

I'm surprised Tony Oxley's first Incus LP (#8, 1971 & 75) "Tony Oxley" has never been reissued - what a lineup - Rutherford/Parker/Bailey/Oxley - I'd say Tony Oxley owns the master tapes - maybe he isn't happy with the recording?

I asked Martin Archer who had recently released (CD) on his label (Discus) the later Oxley Incus LP "February Papers" (#18). He claimed that someone will be releasing this in the near future but no details (what about Corbett vs Dempsey?) were forthcoming

Also the RCA album "Ichnos" from the same period & with a stellar lineup has never made it to CD either

Have both on LP and they certainly are very deserving of reissue. The master tapes for Ichnos reside with a label owner and collector, but I don't know whether they are in usable condition. 

I'd like to see more John Stevens material but Emanem seems to -- rightly -- be slowing down and I'm not sure who could pick up the mantle. Once Alan Bates dies maybe we'll finally get to hear the double trio with Rashied Ali and more of the quartet with Carr, Clyne, and Watts, or the Peter Lemer "Local Colour" band with Stevens in for Hiseman.

18 hours ago, romualdo said:

unfortunately Martin has no more copies of his recent rerelease of Karyobin & is not considering reissue at this stage. Contacted him earlier this year regarding this CD.

http://www.emanemdisc.com/cd-stevens.html#5046

Interesting, thanks. Shame it is out of print as this is a great sounding reissue. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, romualdo said:

anyone listened to the Jazz In Britain Tubby Hayes 2CD set "Live At The Hopbine '69?"

Track 4 on disc 2, "Walkin" with outro/band intro appears to be duplicated ie tagged onto the end of track 3 "Vierd Blues"

On both the CD release plus the download

Yes, same thing on my CD copy.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a reissue but Sky Arts on UK Freeview TV is currently broadcasting the Charlie Watts Orchestra Live at Fulham Town Hall video from 1986. Such a great lineup of musicians, many of whom sadly are now no longer with us. The lineup is very diverse - from a young Courtney Pyne to veterans such as Bill Le Sage and Jimmy Deuchar. Watts on drums also flanked by John Stevens and Bill Eyden.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone order the Tippett double LP "How Long This Time" - i missed out on the CD version so had to opt for the vinyl

I ordered in mid November but havn't received any shipping details - IIRC it was supposed to have been shipped round December 23 - have messaged Matt Parker

https://britishprogressivejazz.com/album/how-long-this-time-live-1970

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, JIB are currently selling the Splinters ‘Inclusivity’ book and 3CDs for £10, a discount of 66% !

I guess that the edition of 600 sets can’t have been selling well, which is a shame. It’s the definitive release of this music.

Wish they would do the new Rendell/Carr 2CD set of music recorded at the Highwayman Pub, Camberley at a similar deal (just issued). That one looks to be a cert buy.

On 1/6/2023 at 6:55 PM, adh1907 said:

My copy of the Harry Beckett Flare up reissue arrived today! 

I’d be interested to see how it compares with the original Philips LP and the CD reissue of some years back.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, JIB are currently selling the Splinters ‘Inclusivity’ book and 3CDs for £10, a discount of 66% !

I guess that the edition of 600 sets can’t have been selling well, which is a shame. It’s the definitive release of this music.

Wish they would do the new Rendell/Carr 2CD set of music recorded at the Highwayman Pub, Camberley at a similar deal (just issued). That one looks to be a cert buy.

I’d be interested to see how it compares with the original Philips LP and the CD reissue of some years back.

Thanks for the Splinters info! I've been on the fence forever on this release, failed to get it (domestic US) from Dusty Groove when they had it in stock, which would have saved a lot on postage. Maybe an int'l order will make sense now.

I have the aforementioned CD reissue of Flare Up! For some reason (perhaps my poor taste), that session never knocked me out. Will spin it again when I get home from work.

No probs re: Splinters CD. I bought it from them a while back, well worth it at the full price with decent sound and a very good book essay by Simon Spillett. I recall that here in the UK the shipping wasn’t cheap and no doubt the US will be worse but £10 is an absolute steal really.

I have the ‘Flare Up’ on a good original LP and on the CD reissue and will be interested to hear this reissue. To my mind, it is almost a stealth John Taylor session.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 10:45 AM, T.D. said:

Thanks for the Splinters info! I've been on the fence forever on this release, failed to get it (domestic US) from Dusty Groove when they had it in stock, which would have saved a lot on postage. Maybe an int'l order will make sense now.

I have the aforementioned CD reissue of Flare Up! For some reason (perhaps my poor taste), that session never knocked me out. Will spin it again when I get home from work.

I had the old, old CD of Flare Up (Jazzprint?) at one point and thought it sounded terrible. Scooped a NM original a few years later and was blown away. I'd bet the reissue LP also sounds good. It's an excellent session but needs to be heard properly from a decent source.

• 1 month later...

a0146475903_65

This fine new release is warmly recommended. Both tribute to and debut leader release for the late Trevor Tomkins. ‘Sextant’ was an early 80s co-operative group with the likes of Jimmy Hastings on woodwinds, Chris Pyne on trombone and Phil Lee on guitar. A very cohesive band playing some lovely music over four sets recorded for BBC Radio and in good sound. 

All topped off by a lovely tribute essay from Simon Spillett, covering both the band and Tomkins’ stellar working career (and musically active until quite recently). I’ve got the feeling that I saw him in Spillett’s quartet and also in a fairly recent Henry Lowther group paired again with Dave Green.

41 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

This fine new release is warmly recommended. Both tribute to and debut leader release for the late Trevor Tomkins. ‘Sextant’ was an early 80s co-operative group with the likes of Jimmy Hastings on woodwinds, Chris Pyne on trombone and Phil Lee on guitar. A very cohesive band playing some lovely music over four sets recorded for BBC Radio and in good sound. 

All topped off by a lovely tribute essay from Simon Spillett, covering both the band and Tomkins’ stellar working career (and musically active until quite recently). I’ve got the feeling that I saw him in Spillett’s quartet and also in a fairly recent Henry Lowther group paired again with Dave Green.

I onlt know Hastings from his excellent work in his little brother Pye's group, Caravan.  What was his jazz work like?

28 minutes ago, felser said:

I onlt know Hastings from his excellent work in his little brother Pye's group, Caravan.  What was his jazz work like?

Good that you mention Jimmy Hastings - his work on this album is a real ear-opener. I recall seeing him play in a much more mainstream style with Humphrey Lyttelton and that was mainly on clarinet but here he is largely featured on saxes and flute on these sessions and in a much more contemporary style. The style sort of reminds me of a British Frank Foster, if you can picture that. His playing here is a real highlight, along with that of the fine trombonist Chris Pyne (ubiquitous on BBC Radio jazz of this vintage).

Yes, as you say, he also crops up on those Caravan albums.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just got a message to say that my copy of the Neil Ardley bio with the two CDs of Ardley material has been shipped by Jazz In Britain.

Earlier than expected - excellent !

Excellent.

But weirdly, I can't find any trace or announcement of this release on either JIB's website (which refers me to Bandcamp) or Bandcamp page. Even if it already sold out, I'd expect to see at least an image.

Edited by T.D.

34 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Excellent.

But weirdly, I can't find any trace or announcement of this release on either JIB's website (which refers me to Bandcamp) or Bandcamp page. Even if it already sold out, I'd expect to see at least an image.

They were indicating that deliveries were due to start next week but looks like mine is early. I did contribute some ‘source’ material so maybe it is priority service, perhaps.

The book can be ordered via the JiB Bandcamp page under ‘Merchandise’. There’s also a bit of info on it on their Facebook site.

27 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'll wait and see if Dusty Groove gets copies. I was so turned off by the Ray Russell vinyl fiasco, not to mention a couple of lost CDs another time, that I'd rather just deal stateside. Other Bandcamp experiences have been more than fine, and often with imprints as small or smaller than they are.

A rare example of where we on this side of the Atlantic benefit !  I must admit, the most recent CD order of the Rendell/Carr and Trevor Tomkins arrived literally overnight. Both are recommended.

Next order for me is probably the new Barbara Thompson. Net profits go to the Parkinsons charity so in a very good cause. There’s also Barbara’s memorial concert coming up in London in June I think.

With regard to the Ardley book, I think the size/weight pushes up the price of shipping, even here in the UK. Hopefully Dusty will order it in. It looks like a labour of love by Viv Ardley and JiB and comes with 2 CDs of previously unissued music from the Ardley archive, plus a download of the sold-out RFH ‘Kaleidoscopes’.

Edited by sidewinder