Caveman

caveman.jpg

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman.

I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists.

Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic makes me want to get out of my BMW and run off to the hills or whatever. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine I wonder, Did little demons get inside and type it? I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

But there is one thing I do know. When a man like my client slips and falls on a sidewalk in front of a public library, then he is entitled to no less than two million in compensatory damages and two million in punitive damages.

Thank you."

(R.I.P. Phil Hartman :( )

I thought Cavemen was enjoyably eccentric and wonderfully earnest, with some fairly witty dialogue. It wasn't all that funny and I'm not sure if the premise can have lasting appeal, but I'll give it a chance. Glad that it had no laughtrack.

Remember that great 1970s sitcom starring the guy from the "I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing" commercials?

Oh, right, there wasn't one.

And people say the 1970s sucked?

Take off the nostalgia-colored glasses and current TV beats the 70's stuff all to hell.

I think it's bit of an apples-and-oranges thing. Many of the current shows sort of stand on the shoulders of the earlier shows. I remember seeing the early SNL shows when they were first broadcast- at the time they were contemporary and cutting edge, very much like the Monty Python series of the same time. Now when I see the reruns they seem much more tame and dated, although still with some great moments. I think the loosening of what gets by the censors has helped too- the fact that broadcast TV has to compete with the uncensored cable networks has definitely had an influence there. The older shows paved the way for current ones- just think of some of those old Richard Pryor routines (on TV and in his movies) and the controversial nature of some of his material. We don't blink an eye at stuff like that anyomore.

The 70s shows were a reflection of the times, and times are very different now, so many of those shows haven't aged so well. I watch some of the old shows (lately things like St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues [80s shows, I know]) because they are period pieces and a reflection of an era to which I had a connection. I can see where people who weren't around then might have less interest.

Edited by Free For All