Mosaic sale, ending October 14

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mosaic needs to regenerate its catalog. All the offerings now seem much too bourgeois for my tastes. Whither the avant-garde? Protest? Revolution? All the remaining options seem like they were churned out by the same mill.

Sorry to throw cold water on your suggestion, but if Mosaic's current offerings are selling slowly, I can't imagine that the ones you suggest will exactly fly off the shelves. I can understand Mosaic's caution.

I agree. I don't think the avant-garde etc. will sell any better than the "bourgeois" stuff, on the contrary.

Maybe, maybe not. You're probably right. All I know is that the catalog is looking awfully stale these days, from my perspective, and I've bought more than 20 of their sets, counting Selects and boxes. They keep offering these sales and I keep looking at what's available and thinking, "Nah, I'll pass." I'd like it if they came out with something that would surprise me a little bit, maybe target a different audience, maybe bring in some new customers, even.

Mosaic needs to regenerate its catalog. All the offerings now seem much too bourgeois for my tastes. Whither the avant-garde? Protest? Revolution? All the remaining options seem like they were churned out by the same mill.

Sorry to throw cold water on your suggestion, but if Mosaic's current offerings are selling slowly, I can't imagine that the ones you suggest will exactly fly off the shelves. I can understand Mosaic's caution.

I agree. I don't think the avant-garde etc. will sell any better than the "bourgeois" stuff, on the contrary.

Maybe, maybe not. You're probably right. All I know is that the catalog is looking awfully stale these days, from my perspective, and I've bought more than 20 of their sets, counting Selects and boxes. They keep offering these sales and I keep looking at what's available and thinking, "Nah, I'll pass." I'd like it if they came out with something that would surprise me a little bit, maybe target a different audience, maybe bring in some new customers, even.

I think that's what Mosaic Contemporary is all about. Not necessarily YOUR type of music - but an attempt to bring in new customers.

I think that's what Mosaic Contemporary is all about. Not necessarily YOUR type of music - but an attempt to bring in new customers.

I've thought Mosaic Contemporary was a mistake for a while (well, since they announced it, actually). People who might possibly like that kind of music surely aren't going to be attracted to Mosaic by the availability of a few things when there is so much that's as good (from that point of view) available anyway, at lower prices.

It's not generally my kind of music, but I think Face's idea isn't bad.

MG

I've thought Mosaic Contemporary was a mistake for a while (well, since they announced it, actually). People who might possibly like that kind of music surely aren't going to be attracted to Mosaic by the availability of a few things when there is so much that's as good (from that point of view) available anyway, at lower prices.

MG

I doubt they'd recoup the investment needed for the licensing, research, mastering, etc. of an avant-garde set or something similar.

Edited by J.A.W.

MG

I doubt they'd recoup the investment needed for the licensing, research, mastering, etc. of an avant-garde set or something similar.

Maybe...I'm not an expert at all on the business. But today I've been listening to the wonderful Jimmy Lyons box set on Ayler Records and wishing that Mosaic had done something similar along the way. I mean, there's a ton of stuff out there from the 1970s or 1980s that could be packaged together as a box, and that's besides the oft-rumored Braxton Arista set.