Impulse Original thoughts?

MichL

Hi all:

So far I have purchased Sonny Rollins on Impulse, Out of the Cool, and Blues and the abstract truth. All sound very good. The only one I already had was BATAT in the 20 bit SBM remaster. While I have always liked the sound of this remaster I felt it was a bit soft sounding. The new remaster sounds very different. The sound is more focused and the bass a bit more defined. If you like the RVG remasters of the Prestige etc. albums you should like this one. Out of the cool is a great session and sounds very good. Interesting to listen and follow the musical lines going on. Sony Rollins on Impulse is a fine set too. Maybe not one of his best, but very rewarding non the less.

I was wondering if any other members have bought or should I say re/re bought any of these albums?

Michael

These remasters were coming out on CD around the time I started listening to jazz (10 years or so ago), so they are the only versions I know. They sound great to me. BATAT is one of my favorite sessions of all time, and Sonny Rollins on Impulse is very fine as well.

well it is good to have stanley clarke's "children of forever" on CD since the only previous issue was on one way and way out of print.

this is from when fusion was still sort of spiritual and it is a bit soft compared to what people like herbie hancock were doing at the time but still worthy.

It's different than what Hancock was doing, more Clarke's answer to 'Light As A Feather'. Chick Corea, Andy Bey and Dee Dee Bridgewater on it, great stuff, especially "Sea Journey". Recorded early (1972), before the rot set in. I love it. I missed that this one was coming out again. I'll definitely pay to upgrade from my One Way CD of it.

felz-the version of sea journey on gary burton's "passengers" album is very good. not sure if you have heard it....that's got the band with both swallow and weber on bass and pat metheny on guitar.

Adam, have not heard it, will look to check it out. I love the tune. It's also done very well on that Corea/Lionel Hampton recording that shows up on hundreds of labels.

i was surprised to see it at the store myself....

so do any gato barbieri fans like "ruby ruby" or is it just terrible?

It's not terrible, but you don't need it. He uses that approach much more effectively on 'Caliente', one of the tiny handful of great contemporary "smooth" (Barbieri's playing is anything but on it) jazz albums.

I'm also very satisfied with the 20 bit remasters that came out 10 years ago or so. So I'm not sure if it make sense to upgrade those. The only 20bit that I didn't care for the sound on was Hub's Artistry of Freddie Hubbard; Art Davis's bass is too boomy in the low notes and barely audible in the high notes. Was the earlier MCA issue any better? I would actually consider buying the older version, since it doesn't seem that this is in any reissue plan in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

These remasters were coming out on CD around the time I started listening to jazz (10 years or so ago), so they are the only versions I know. They sound great to me. BATAT is one of my favorite sessions of all time, and Sonny Rollins on Impulse is very fine as well.

Sal

I believe you are confused here. I think that the series being discussed here has just come out in recent weeks.

I am also interested in whether people think the sound is better than the 20 bit versions that have been around 10 years or so.

I think the sound is better on the Coltrane titles, which I have been able to compare with several other versions. Is it worth upgrading for? Possibly, if you are one who likes to have "the best sound." My favorite two cd versions of these that I have heard: the new ones and the K2 Impulse versions from Japan. To me the new ones are a bit more dynamic than the K2 Impulse versions from Japan, if not quite as mellow.

Edited by jazzbo

I think the sound is better on the Coltrane titles, which I have been able to compare with several other versions. Is it worth upgrading for? Possibly, if you are one who likes to have "the best sound." My favorite two cd versions of these that I have heard: the new ones and the K2 Impulse versions from Japan. To me the new ones are a bit more dynamic than the K2 Impulse versions from Japan, if not quite as mellow.

Hi Jazzbo:

Thanks for your comments. I have been sitting on the fence on the new Coltrane set. I already have the Japan K2 of Africa/Brass (jewel case) and Ballads (gatefold). How does "Coltrane" deluxe edition of 2000? compare to the new one? The only title I lack is Live at the Village Vangaurd. I have the Duke and Coltrane in a 1996? issue.

Thank you for your help.

Michael

for all I know, the newer it gets, the LOUDER it gets with some not-so nice effects for the headphone listener. The early (late 80s/early 90s) issues be them from Japan, Germany or the US all seem to have used the same master and although there are some differences in overall volume, these are all very nice on the ears. The Labson mid-90s masters (I guess that includes MichL's Duke&Trane) have everything, but mainly bass and highs pumped up. This usually means more detail where previously there was little, namely highs and lows and it *may* lead to too much detail which can freak you out (listening on headphones). Now this is not so much of a problem with the Labsons, at least for me; I know others think differently about those. The RVGs of Coltrane, Ballads and Love Supreme suffer from too much and listening to those I feel like I have just downed 4 liters of black coffee on an empty stomach. I can't tell you where the K2s stand here nor whatsup with the new ones. But if Lon says these new ones are "more dynamic" and "less mellow", I fear for the worst and will abstain.

As for live at the VV, do yourself a favour and do get the box. It's all good.

Well, I'm not a headphone listener to cds, now MP3s of cds, yes, and they're compressed and don't present those same problems.

I'm not that happy with the Labsons, not awful, just a bit too "digital" sounding to me and not exciting. The new ones and the RVGs sound exciting to me on my system. Every one has a different system and a different taste.

These new ones are if I remember not as "loud" as they possibly could have been.

Yes, the Village Vanguard box is excellent material. But in these instances where I've lived with the LP for a long time, I personally also like to have a cd that duplicates the original LP material.

Edited by jazzbo

Well, I'm not a headphone listener to cds, now MP3s of cds, yes, and they're compressed and don't present those same problems.

if you do good encoding, you will be challenged to tell the difference between mp3 and uncompressed. Try it and let someone burn some mp3s and direct cd track copies to CDr and play it (blind) on your main or any system.

I'm not that happy with the Labsons, not awful, just a bit too "digital" sounding to me and not exciting.

yes, just that I would call them a tad "too exciting" in places. But that's nervous me. ;)

These new ones are if I remember not as "loud" as they possibly could have been.

a "new" reissue that is not louder than its predecessor? Hard to believe in this day and age! ;)

I haven't heard any of these discs, so I cannot judge.

Yes, the Village Vanguard box is excellent material. But in these instances where I've lived with the LP for a long time, I personally also like to have a cd that duplicates the original LP material.

Just saw that the box still sells for about 30$. So if you really need to have it in original album format as well, at least ALSO buy the box. It's cheap and filled to the brim with awesomeness.

John, I'm not disputing you on the MP3. . . it's just I use compressed formats of smaller size (for storage reasons) and I do hear a difference between those and larger size, but it sounds good enough for my portable use and that's all I use the MP3s for, portable and noncritical use.