The greatest film soundtrack is...

brownie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may have been mentioned before, but one of my favorite soundtrack albums has to be Sonny Rollins's for Alfie---though I think it was music inspired BY the film score, but whatever.

No, Rollins scored the film, though the LP was likely a re-record, and probably an opportunity to expand on the music.

rivers4981297568233400.jpg

When this film came out in 1987, it could have been made about my group of friends (although we didn't kill anyone). Lost, small-town outcasts, only connected by how we didn't fit in with anyone else other than ourselves...scared of life, scared of growing up...and full of misplaced anger and resentment.

The soundtrack made it even more authentic, bypassing the conventional wisdom of the time...it focused on primarily underground metal and punk bands...groups that sang about the same issues we shared. Slayer, Hallow's Eve, Fates Warning, Agent Orange, etc. To us, it was REAL.

Although I'm no longer the same person (well, of course part of me is)...I still have every frame of this film in my head and every riff and lyric to each song is forever etched in my mind.

My brother plays with Glows in the Dark, a saxophone, trombone, guitar, bass, drums quintet led by guitarist Matt Burton.

He focuses on reworking film score and soundtrack work.

Some of you might have an interest. Here is a link to his blog, featuring mp3s and interviews with other musicians, many of whom are discussed here frequently (looks like Jason Ajemian is next).

Click here to enter Glowing Realm