James Leary, III – bass

Reginald Johnson – bass

William Henderson – electric piano

(unknown) – drums

(unknown) – percussion

March 11 RVGs

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 1

Jimmy Smith – Live At The Baby Grand V. 2

Very nice, those are on my shopping list! :) I got all the other upcomg RVGs on Conns

and the like but it's a great batch nonetheless - some of my favorite Blue Note albums there!

May 13 Connoisseurs

Stanley Turrentine – Return Of The Prodigal Son (the June 23 & July 28, 1967 sessions)

Louis Smith – Smithville (first time in stereo with two bonus tracks)

Bobby Hutcherson – Head On (includes three previously unissued tracks)

Art Farmer – Brass Shout (includes Aztec Suite)

Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody with Gil Fuller & The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra (includes Moody's Night Flight album)

Smithville! Finally! :excited:

Also "Hooray!" for the other half of the Turrentine material from the recent Connoisseur

release! Actually I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up all of those except maybe the last one.

These are very good news, Kevin. Thanks!

Louis Smith – Smithville (first time in stereo with two bonus tracks)

:excited::party:

First RVG in a long while I've been interested in getting. I have the mono TOCJ without bonus tracks, and this is a given upgrade. Usually I already have what has been RVG'd and don't want to play the upgrade game. I'm all over the Connoisseurs, though.

Smart move from Cuscuna to release both Louis Smiths months after the Silver Newport CD with Smith on trumpet has come out. That release will hopefully pique many listeners' interest in seeking out more recordings by this brilliant trumpeter.

In any case: Thanks, Kevin, for posting the lists. With four non-BN albums among the Connoisseurs, this year's offerings seem a bit more varied than usual. If Cuscuna wants to, there should be quite a bit more non-BN material to release in future Connoisseur batches (if there will be any).

Baby Grand!!! Baby Grand!!! Baby Grand!!!

I wonder if there'll be bonus tracks? There are lots of unissued tracks listed as rejected in the discography, including 3 untitled blues (surely ONE of them must be a blinder?) and "Tunisia", "Joy spring" (now that would be an interesting one) and "Red sails in the sunset" (would love to hear how he did that one).

MG

I'm going from memory here, but I think we were informed some time ago that unlike in the case of the Smalls' Paradise sessions, there is no surviving extra material from the Baby Grand gig. So what was originally released (which also has been out on TOCJs) is all we will get. Another case like that is Stanley Turrentine's Up At Minton's session with Grant Green. Lots of unissued material listed in the discographies, but no tapes to be found.

Wayne Shorter – The Soothsayer

Hopefully with that annoying shrill-ness taken out of the sound?

Looking forward to those 3 bonus tracks on the 'Head On'. :excited:

But it was only earlier copies of The Soothsayer that were affected, right? This was discussed many years ago, probably on the old BNBB. I know my copy doesn't have any sound problems.

As for the Head On bonus tracks, I suppose they are the three unissued tracks from the same sessions:

Bobby Hutcherson - Harold Land Band

Oscar Brashear (tp, flh) George Bohanon, Louis Spears (tb) Fred Jackson (picc) Harold Land (ts, fl) Delbert Hill, Charles Owens, Herman Riley, Ernie Watts (reeds) Bobby Hutcherson (vib, mar) Todd Cochran (p, arr) James Leary III (b) Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, Nesbert "Stix" Hooper, Woody Theus (d) Warren Bryant (cga, bgo) Robert Jenkins (unknown inst.) Donald Smith (vo)

Poppi Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA, July 2, 1971

Togo Land Blue Note unissued

Jonathan -

Bobby Hutcherson - Harold Land Band

Oscar Brashear (tp, flh) George Bohanon, Louis Spears (tb) Fred Jackson (picc) Harold Land (ts, fl) Bobby Hutcherson (vib, mar) Todd Cochran (p, arr) Reggie Johnson (b) Nesbert "Stix" Hooper, Woody Theus (d) Warren Bryant (cga, bgo)

Poppi Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA, July 3, 1971

Hey Harold unissued

but there are also unissued Hutcherson tracks from later that year:

Bobby Hutcherson Band

Blue Mitchell (tp) Thurman Green (tb) Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Reggie Andrews, Clarence McDonald (key) Arthur Adams, Cornell Dupree (g) Chuck Rainey (el-b) Stix Hooper (d) King Errison (cga, bgo)

A&R Studios, NYC, December 21, 1971

(tk.8) Wichita Lineman unissued

(tk.6) Workin' On A Groovy Thing -

(tk.3) Inner City Blues Blue Note CDP 7243 5 21152-2

* Various Artists - Deep Blue (Blue Note CDP 7243 5 21152-2)

Bobby Hutcherson Band

Mike Deasy (g) Arthur Lewis (unknown inst.) replaces Dupree, Rainey

A&R Studios, NYC, December 22, 1971

(tk.6) Family Affair unissued

(tk.4) Brother Rap Blue Note [E] B1 97158

(tk.8) Brown Eyed Woman unissued

* Various Artists - Blue Juice, Vol. 2 (Blue Note [E] B1 97158)

I wasn't even aware of these latter tracks. Maybe they will be bonus tracks to the ensuing album Natural Illusions, if it ever is reissued.

Art Farmer – Brass Shout (includes Aztec Suite)

Hmm. Hasn't Lonehill (or is it Gambit?) done a 'release' of this quite recently?

Yes, Gambit. It came out just a year or so ago. Some will have picked up that Gambit version obviously, but on the other hand Blue Note's selling point will be that the official release has better sound. If the release dates had been reversed, the Andorrans could just have ripped the BN CD.

Btw, I think Brass Shout has been out on a Japanese CD. I'm not aware of a previous CD reissue of Aztec Suite (other than the Gambit release).

But it was only earlier copies of The Soothsayer that were affected, right? This was discussed many years ago, probably on the old BNBB. I know my copy doesn't have any sound problems.

Not only "discussed" on the old BNBB, but it was our discovery of that tape distortion caused Blue Note to pull the master tape back out and re-do the CD to fix that nastiness. It was too bad that they never pulled the original mucked up discs. I bet I bought 3 copies of it before I got one that was "fixed". That was back in the days when the BN board was doing its thing to help BN succeed.

FWIW, Organissimo.org has taken over from that old BN board as the place to get the word to and from Blue Note for many years now. Another reason to be thankful to Jim and the guys.

Kevin

Not only "discussed" on the old BNBB, but it was our discovery of that tape distortion caused Blue Note to pull the master tape back out and re-do the CD to fix that nastiness. It was too bad that they never pulled the original mucked up discs. I bet I bought 3 copies of it before I got one that was "fixed". That was back in the days when the BN board was doing its thing to help BN succeed.

Thanks - yep, I vaguelly remember the discussion of this, back in the say. I must say that I think the sound on the old 'Rainbow' series LP was pretty shrill as well so will look forward to an upgrade.

I never got a fixed Soothsayer, since they made no indication on the fixed copies that it was fixed - probably to liquidate the bad ones to unsuspecting non-audiophiles; pretty slimy in my view.

I am willing to buy one fixed copy, but not three.

I am assuming the RVG will not be fucked up, but I'll wait for board member comments.

I'm happy about the Redd - I have the TOCJ, so I'm missing the bonus cuts.

I thought Head On was on the Mosaic but I was wrong - now I have to get both in 2008.

Bertrand.

Kevin,

Could you ask Michael for more info about the Silver Newport date (or maybe I'll call him eventually)?

I assume it is from the VOA collection at the Library of Congress (which also yielded the Monk/Trane). They have a bunch of the Newport stuff.

The reason I asked is that I told him about some Blakey dates from that archive, but I don't know if he ever followed up.

1) Newport '59 (with Morgan and Mobley). This circulates among collectors, but it would be nice to have an official release. It's 30-35 minutes.

2) Newport '61 (which must not have been the usual festival, because of the mess in 1960 - I don't know where it was held). One track has circulated, but the sound is poor. Wayne Shorter is on board. Lee Morgan couldn't make it, so KD subbed for him. There are very few recordings of Wayne and KD - exactly none other than this one. The tape I heard had two tracks for about 20 minutes, but the listing in the database showed a third, unidentified tune. I asked about this and was told it was a mistake, so it was deleted from the listing. But a Newport set was more like 30 minutes, not 20. So something doesn't add up.

The two sessions together would make for a 50 minute CD at least, and possibly as much as 60-65. If Michael were to pursue this, I would make sure to let him know that more research would be needed to look into this bonus track. I would hate to see the CD come out and later find out the track is out there. The bummer is that the tapes are now out in the boonies so it will be harder to research. I know who the first person I would talk to would be.

So please let me know if this is something he might pursue. PM me if you want more details; there's a little bit more to the story that I don't want to post here.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Baby Grand!!! Baby Grand!!! Baby Grand!!!

I wonder if there'll be bonus tracks? There are lots of unissued tracks listed as rejected in the discography, including 3 untitled blues (surely ONE of them must be a blinder?) and "Tunisia", "Joy spring" (now that would be an interesting one) and "Red sails in the sunset" (would love to hear how he did that one).

MG

I'm going from memory here, but I think we were informed some time ago that unlike in the case of the Smalls' Paradise sessions, there is no surviving extra material from the Baby Grand gig. So what was originally released (which also has been out on TOCJs) is all we will get. Another case like that is Stanley Turrentine's Up At Minton's session with Grant Green. Lots of unissued material listed in the discographies, but no tapes to be found.

A pity. Oh well, I'll be glad to get the complete album - I have 3/4 of it on a cheapo compilation.

MG

I thought Head On was on the Mosaic but I was wrong - now I have to get both in 2008.

Bertrand.

It's totally unlike any of the other Hutcherson Blue Notes of the period - quite adventurous and free-form, particularly the 'suite' on side 1. The vibe sort of reminds me of Shorter's 'Super Nova', also of 'Total Eclipse' in the quieter moments (although it's a more 'out' album than Eclipse). A very serious 'feel' to this album, unlike the more relaxed grooves from the slightly later material put out on the Mosaic. Some very good Harold Land too - no suprise there.

Land and Hutcherson together were just wonderful. Add Joe Chambers in the mix, and it was Nirvana.

Spiral/Medina is the only official recording of this 'trio' with Stanley Cowell plus one track on an Enja live compilation (Total Eclipse has Corea instead, not a big fan), but there is a JMY bootleg and some stuff on the site that can't be named.

One of the greatest bands there ever was.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand