Dick Twardzik on WBGO tonight

ghost of miles

Thought I'd pass this along:

n the list of jazz’s might-have-beens, pianist-composer Dick Twardzik (1931-1955) ranks high. A genuine innovator, he left only a small body of recorded work, including half of a piano-trio LP and memorable sessions as a sideman with baritone saxophonist Serge Chaloff and trumpeter Chet Baker. Twardzik, brief as his career was, pointed the way towards important developments in the following decades.

The show will air this Sunday, November 25, from 11 p.m. to midnight, Eastern Standard Time. If you live outside the New York City metropolitan area, WBGO 88.3 also broadcasts on the Internet.

I still want to do a Twardzik Night Lights and am still waiting for Jack Chambers' bio to come out....which (through no fault of his) may be a long, long time.

• 15 years later...
On 11/25/2007 at 10:40 PM, ghost of miles said:

I still want to do a Twardzik Night Lights and am still waiting for Jack Chambers' bio to come out....which (through no fault of his) may be a long, long time.

Did the Twardzik Night Lights ever happen? (My googling tells me “no”.)

And was the WBGO broadcast archived? — is there a link out there? (Still looking for that myself, haven’t found it.)

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

And was the WBGO broadcast archived? — is there a link out there? (Still looking for that myself, haven’t found it.)

Second that one too & so would Stonewall (Dan S - another board member), both of us having communicated with Jack Chambers in the past

BTW Jack's bio of Dick T was published in 2008

https://www.amazon.com/Bouncin-Bartok-Incomplete-Richard-Twardzik/dp/1551281414

looks like it's OOP though second hand copies are circulating

On 3/21/2023 at 8:39 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, never got to this, though I suppose I still could—just pulled that Pacific piano-trio Mosaic Select off the shelf the other day, actually. And yes, the Chambers book did come out… I can’t even remember now what I’d heard about some possible indefinite delay. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2023 at 6:31 AM, romualdo said:

BTW Jack's bio of Dick T was published in 2008

https://www.amazon.com/Bouncin-Bartok-Incomplete-Richard-Twardzik/dp/1551281414

looks like it's OOP though second hand copies are circulating

Just did a check of my Amazon account which tells me I bought this book in March 2009! Wow ... THAT long ago?? Time sure flies ... :excited: This doesn't make me feel any younger now ... 😕😉