Interesting shows in Los Angeles

Adam

This coming weekend at the MAK Center (The Rudolph Schindler House in West Hollywood) - Joseph Jarman:

Friday & Saturday, September 19 & 20, 2003

Joseph Jarman

A co-founder of the AACM and member of the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Jarman brings a mastery of Aikido and Zen meditation to his work with horns, woodwinds and percussion.

Doors open at 7 p.m. Shows begin at 7:30 p.m.

Parking is available in the public structure at the northeast corner of Kings Road and Santa Monica Boulevard. $ 12 advance ticket purchase / $15 at the door $9 students; Friends of the Schindler House and SASSAS members.

Seating is very limited. Advance purchase is strongly recommended.

For further information, visit www.soundNet.org. For tickets, the public may contact (323) 651-1510

http://www.makcenter.org/programs.html

Friday is solo; Saturday is with Alex Cline & Henry Grimes!

And buried in an article yesterday in the LA Times Calendar section about the Cal Arts REDCAT Theatre in the Walt Disney concert hall:

Highlights of the upcoming season, in February - Anthony Braxton!

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/c...,2,769502.story

"A musical series opens with Morton Subotnick and Tony Martin on Nov. 19 and includes 18 other concerts, with perhaps the biggest name being saxophonist-composer Anthony Braxton on Feb. 21. The longest run in the first season will be devoted to "Peach Blossom Fan," staged by Chen Shi-Zheng ("The Peony Pavilion" at Lincoln Center, 1999), based on a Chinese classic, April 9 to 24. It will be produced by the CalArts Center for New Theater, the school's professional producing arm that staged "King Lear" last year in Los Angeles and in France this year."

Edited by Adam

Hi Adam,

Hey, thanks for posting this! I would've never known about this show otherwise. I'll be at the Saturday show, since it might be one of the last times I get to see Henry Grimes play out here... word is he's moving to New York.

See you there?

Cheers,

Shane

I'm going Friday; I have to work at another event on Saturday for an arts group with which I'm involved. Otherwise, Saturday would be it.

I haven't heard that about Henry Grimes, but I wouldn't be surprised.

...it might be one of the last times I get to see Henry Grimes play out here... word is he's moving to New York.

Indestructible!,

Where did you hear this? A friend of mine is booking for the Seattle Improvised Music Festival and he was hoping to bring Henry Grimes to Seattle for the fest. If he's moving to NY this may negatively affect the feasibility of it happening.

If you know, when is he moving?

Hi Johnny,

All I can pass along is word "on the street"... I don't know of an actual date at which Henry might leave for NYC, but I've heard from a couple of different sources that he's seriously considering the move. Personally, I hope he sticks around!

I think others on this board would be more qualified to speak on this matter than me (Mike Fitzgerald?), so you may want to float it as a different thread and see what you come up with.

Also, when will the SIMF be held this/next year? I'd be interested in making the trek up there!

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

Hi Johnny,

Well, I got a chance to talk to Henry on Saturday night, and he is indeed moving out to New York... in fact, he already has! He said he's leaving Los Angeles on Tuesday (Sept. 23), but will be "back and forth" between LA and NYC.

I mentioned to him that your friend was interested in bringing him up to play the SIMF, and Henry seemed in to it! I have his phone number and e-mail address... if you'd like, send me a PM and I'll pass them along to you.

The show with Jarman was great, BTW! Two 45-minute sets, and a little celebration for Joseph's 66th birthday!

Cheers,

Shane

I was about to add the same note about Henry, but Shane beat me to it.

Grimes attended Friday night as well, but as an audience member.

I then saw Henry again Sunday afternoon at the Coffee Table cafe in Silverlake. He and his companion were talking with a third person, and I didn't interrupt.

Friday night was mostly songs, really, with Jarman's very Buddhist lyrics.

Not jazz (exactly), but I saw that the band Television is playing at the Henry Fonda Theater on 9/30. I just saw them up here in SF last night and it was a great show. If you've never seen them live before, check them out. They don't play that frequently and it's a real treat.

• 4 months later...

I don't know if I'll be able to see Hill this week. Must work on scheduling...

And Curtis Fuller again in 2 weeks at the Bakery.

Here are some of their upcoming:

April 6 - 11 Pat Martino

April 13-18 Dave Frishberg with himself!

April 20 - 25 Andy Bey Quartet

April 27 - May 2 Larry Coryell Trio

May 3 - 5 Dizzy Gillespie Alumni All-Stars

Roy Hargrove

Slide Hampton

Benny Green

John Lee

May 6 -9 Dave Douglas Quartet

May 8 Ryoko Moriyama. Saturday 2 Matinees, first at 3:00 PM, tickets $30.

To note - Ryoko's new album "The Jazz Singer" features Michael Brecker on tenor sax amd The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra.

May 18 - 23 Cyrus Chestnut Trio

• 3 weeks later...

Walt Disney Hall announced their Jazz Series for next year. It appears we will finally get to see Ornette Coleman again! - Nov. 12, 2004

The other shows are Sonny Rollins (March 16, 2005); Dianne Reeves with Terence Blanchard & Paul McCandless (Jan 29, 2005); and the San Francisco Jazz Collective (who?) with artistic director Joshua Redman (April 8, 2005).

And as a non-subscription add-on, James Moody's 80th Birthday invitation, April 30, 2005.

the San Francisco Jazz Collective (who?) with artistic director Joshua Redman (April 8, 2005).

It's a touring group put together through the auspices of the SF Jazz Festival:

Redman, Bobby Hutcherson, Nicholas Payton, Miguel Zenon, Josh Roseman, Renee Rosnes, Robert Hurst & Brian Blade.

"Possibly the biggest event to happen in the jazz world in years, the SFJAZZ Collective takes the stage for their world premiere with four performances in San Francisco. This first resident band for SFJAZZ features eight all-star musicians who are consistently ranked among the top artists performing today. The group will focus on jazz music from the 50’s to the present, this year featuring the work of master innovator Ornette Coleman. The group will also debut new pieces composed by each artist. Don’t miss this historic launch!"

http://www.sfjazz.org/concerts/spring04/ar...collective.html