It's a Wonderful Organissimo Board

ghost of miles

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I really don't know what to say. I don't want this board to not exist....hell, I don't even like thinking about this board not existing. To say its been an invaluable resource is a gross understatement, and even more sadly, I wouldn't have met so many good people (whether in person or in cyberspace) if it wasn't for this board. This has me thinking about how I may have really taken this place for granted alot of the time, and that makes me sad.

Count me in as someone who would be a paid subscriber.....I really don't care how much the fee is. This place is very important.

If this place does go, I would like to extend my sincerest thanks to Jim for keeping this wonderful community around for the last 5 years, and to all of you for teaching me so much.

Wherever we go, there's got to be a live chat function! I can't fully annoy others unless it's "live!" :g
Well.........yeah! Conn speaks the truth.

I'll miss this space - it always seemed like a good combination of free speech without heavyhanded moderation. Must be a LOT of hard work keeping it going - both hardware-wise and software-wise.

As far as live chats, Google has some sort of "Chats" module as part of their GMail service. I haven't tried it out, but it might be worth looking into. For that matter, we could probably start a "Google Group" that could function as a message board without the hardware/software headaches of something like this.

I sent my email to Chris, BTW.

Hey Conn, don't sell yourself short, you can annoy people in many different ways ;)

I understand Jim's decision but I'm still BUMMED about it. This is the first board I ever joined and easily the best. Great folks here and a body of knowledge that is unmatched. If $$ is what's needed I'll ante up on a yearly/monthly/whatever basis. if it's too late for that kind of rescue, well I hope to meet up with you folks somewhere else. And Jim,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Edited by PHILLYQ

I'm sorry to see this forum go and hope it can be saved. Lots of great posts here ranging from the informative to the entertaining to the eccentric. While there's a few blow-ups from time to time, I've always preferred the tone here to other forums. Thanks for all your great work, Jim.

Edited by B. Clugston

You know- I don't blame Jim.....family come first. Frankly I'm surprised he did it this long. I don't visit as much because of a few individual dampened the positive vibes for me.

It would be nice to have a few trusted people moderate each forum and it can be watched more closely for potential trouble. I visit ford-trucks.com and each forum has a moderator. Regarding cost- if every member did a one-time donation of $25.00, that'll keep it going.

I've met some very nice people here and I have grown as a person because of them. You all are a part of my life and I will never forget it.

Jim and Organissimo- come and visit Richmond, VA!! Or at least DC where perhaps I can see you if I get approval from my wife!

See y'all around!

Mike Kelly Powhatan, VA mgkelly@deq.virginia.gov

Wow. I know I haven't been as active on the board in the past 4 months as I was in the previous 4 years, but one of the things I look forward to when coming home from work is reading what all of you have to say. It's a great community and I've learned a ton. You guys are awesome!

Jim, I really hope you reconsider. But even if you don't, you deserve our deepest gratitude for keeping this thing running for as long as you can. All the fun we've had is a testament to your dedication and patience.

Guy

This news is really heartbreaking, although it's not hard to understand Jim's frustration with the strain on his time and finances. Like others here, I have no problem with a membership fee or dues of some kind to keep this thing going. If it doesn't happen, I'd like to join the group of people who have expressed their gratitude to Jim and the band for providing this forum. I lurk at another forum, but post a lot more here.

Chris, my e-mail is stereoj@comcast.net

I've contributed very little in the last couple of years, but I've been here since day 1 and have taken much more from this board than I'll ever be able to give back. Jim, count me in for a contribution if you decide to keep the board going. I appreciate your work and efforts in making this an internet home for myself and so many others.

Steve

slbrown_hk(at)yahoo.com

Just a note to inform you that there are now 58 of us on the list and (because a couple of you have expressed some concern) to assure all that none of this information will go from here until a decision is made. I started the list because I thought it would be important for all of us to have contact information in case the board suddenly disappears. With the list, we can at least reach everyone in case we find a new place. If the ideal solution is found (i.e. there is a way to keep the O going), the list can be purged. While some of you gave me more information, I think all we need is the handle and an e-mail address.

Thanks to all for being so responsive, and THANK YOU JIM for giving us a board so good that we cannot imagine it gone.

That e-mail address, again: BigOalumni@mac.com

e-mail : joe@futurshock.com (notice no 'e' in futurshock-- I was never good at spelling.)

Wow. I'm stunned . Like to thank Jim a lot. Like to help set up a new forum but right now I have no time-- starting a new film which means 16 hour days and now no Organissimo to look forward to when I get home. Can still send money if needed.

And if nothing comes of attempts to revive or replace the board I''m going to miss all you guys. I've come to regard this board as my facebook page. I may have to get a real one.

While there's a few blow-ups from time to time, I've always preferred the tone here to other forums. Thanks for all your great work, Jim.

I don't even think the blow-ups were all that bad. Hell, my family is more dysfunctional than this place! :lol:

For the very short time I've been here, what I've learned from this board has been indespensible and invaluable. This board is simply one of the best, if not the best when it comes to jazz.

If the board doesn't survive this crisis, thank you Jim for maintaining such a great place to hang.

Bill

Let me join the large chorus thanking Jim for all of the time, effort, and resources he spent creating and maintaining this jazz board. As the good ship BNBB was taking on water, I wondered how successful anyone would be at transforming that situation (great collection of knowledgeable and friendly participants, flawed corporate ownership/oversight) into a new venture. Jim really delivered!! Deep gratitude and respect for all of the non-music effort being expended by a guy with a young family trying to make it as a professional musician. [Repeat that last sentence again!] Perhaps the source of that energy was all of that clean living in Michigan :) .

Like a few others that posted earlier in this thread, my time spent here largely was as a lurker [‘cept maybe when a thread’s focus turned to a couple of small market sports teams stationed along the north coast, or the next great CD fire sale]. Way too many items from this board to be thankful for, but just a few representative items that spring to mind as I type now (in no particular order): getting hipped to Frank Hewitt, Maria Schneider, Mingus’ East Coasting, Jazz in Paris, the Nessa AEC box; news of the bigtime Concord/OJC firesale, Night Lights, CD shop recommendations in various towns and online (esp StereoJack’s and Dusty Groove), getting hipped early to forthcoming BN reissues, reading eyewitness stories about jazz greats from yesterday and today. Besides all of Jim’s hard work, the key ingredient here is the community of individuals willing to share their knowledge, stories, passion for the music, etc. Thanks again Jim for fostering this in such a tremendous way.

Like others, I am willing to pay an annual fee for the privilege, but I suspect that it is more than $$ here. [Repeat that sentence above one more time!] At the very least, let us know how we can keep up with the activities of that great jazz organ trio Organissimmo! Gotta catch you live again when you next past through DC, and maybe even introduce myself to some of the connoisseurs from my neck of the woods--folks with monikers like Bertrand, Stefan, mr jazz, weizen, …

And what about the next big O recording project?

Jim, it was a great ride for these four years, but I also think it's time to pack it in now. Even if Jim decides to change his mind, it won't be the same. It's been great reading all the great information and posts everyone, I'll remember this experience fondly, thanks for everything, but I'm gone.

Jim, it was a great ride for these four years, but I also think it's time to pack it in now. Even if Jim decides to change his mind, it won't be the same. It's been great reading all the great information and posts everyone, I'll remember this experience fondly, thanks for everything, but I'm gone.

Matthew - I hope you'll reconsider, if the board ends up staying open or we migrate somewhere. I enjoy your posts and your insight to the music.