LOCKJAW

Chuck Nessa

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up...

Ordered a couple of the out-of-print (and increasingly hard to find) Lockjaw discs from True Blue today: 'Smokin' and 'Jaws In Orbit'. Both of these go for ridiculous prices on the second hand market. Grab 'em quick if you want 'em and don't have 'em!

Edited by street singer

• 2 years later...
  • 12 years later...

The Jug-A-Thon transformed into a Lock-A-Thon. This one is so well-recorded. Rudy got the bass level just right. The music in total is fabulous:

NzctMzg2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Weird thought—sometimes Lock reminds me of Eric Dolphy. Not the interval leaps, but the smearing of certain phrases (Lock's "cork" moments?) that are notes/not notes at the same time. I actually think a Dolphy/Lock frontline pairing, at least for one album, would've worked.

7 hours ago, Late said:

The Jug-A-Thon transformed into a Lock-A-Thon. This one is so well-recorded. Rudy got the bass level just right. The music in total is fabulous:

NzctMzg2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Weird thought—sometimes Lock reminds me of Eric Dolphy. Not the interval leaps, but the smearing of certain phrases (Lock's "cork" moments?) that are notes/not notes at the same time. I actually think a Dolphy/Lock frontline pairing, at least for one album, would've worked.

That´s some interesting remark, really ! 

Eric Dolphy was the first alto saxophonist I ever heard, when I was in my early teens. And I loved him from first hearing. I mean I heard Dolphy before Bird, before Jackie McLean. I admired that musician so much that when my beard started to grow I let it grow like Dolphy had it. Looked terrible, but that´s how I was. 

And.....though a complete other style, I loved Jaws playing from the first moment. My first listening experience was the session where he plays in an allstar Birdland line up with Miles Davis. And shortly afterwards I saw Jaws life. 

though I don´t think there would have taken place a record with them both, I think the times was not ripe for that, but if Dolphy had lived longer, who knows.......

13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Dolphy and Jaws with Mingus is what I want to hear.

Me to, though I doubt it would have happened. I´m not sure if Jaws would have been open for it, but at least in the hard swinging passages of his long compositions Jaws would have been an interesting voice.

Mingus was ....I could say so.....my center of jazz understanding. At an age, where I just had heard only one jazz record (I think it was Davis´ "Milestones" from the late 50´s" , Mingus with the 1964 touring band really was my "guide". It was '"Parkeriana" that led me to search Bop´n Bird, it was the Jakie Byard stride section that let me listen to Fats Waller and Art Tatum, and it was Dolphy´s outbursts, that led me to listen to Free Jazz....., so it was "everything" for me and a living memory when I finally saw Mingus live....

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Me to, though I doubt it would have happened. I´m not sure if Jaws would have been open for it, but at least in the hard swinging passages of his long compositions Jaws would have been an interesting voice.

Mingus was ....I could say so.....my center of jazz understanding. At an age, where I just had heard only one jazz record (I think it was Davis´ "Milestones" from the late 50´s" , Mingus with the 1964 touring band really was my "guide". It was '"Parkeriana" that led me to search Bop´n Bird, it was the Jakie Byard stride section that let me listen to Fats Waller and Art Tatum, and it was Dolphy´s outbursts, that led me to listen to Free Jazz....., so it was "everything" for me and a living memory when I finally saw Mingus live....

I am not so sure it would have been a matter of who would have been "open" for what only in the direction that you seem to hint at.

There is an interesting account of a candid moment with Eric Dolphy and his avantgardism in the Norman Granz biography by Tad Hershorn (p. 311):
"Granz related a conversation with Eric Dolphy, then on tour for him, when he heard the avant-garde saxophonist playing straight-ahead blues after hours at a nightclub with some of Gillespie's musicians. He asked Dolphy why he couldn't play like that on the tour. 'No, people say I have a reputation for being modern, so I have to play modern.' "

Who knows ... maybe Dolphy would actually have enjoyed an occasional recording date in a more straight-ahead setting with the likes of Lockjaw Davis after all?

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I am not so sure it would have been a matter of who would have been "open" for what only in the direction that you seem to hint at.

There is an interesting account of a candid moment with Eric Dolphy and his avantgardism in the Norman Granz biography by Tad Hershorn (p. 311):
"Granz related a conversation with Eric Dolphy, then on tour for him, when he heard the avant-garde saxophonist playing straight-ahead blues after hours at a nightclub with some of Gillespie's musicians. He asked Dolphy why he couldn't play like that on the tour. 'No, people say I have a reputation for being modern, so I have to play modern.' "

Who knows ... maybe Dolphy would actually have enjoyed an occasional recording date in a more straight-ahead setting with the likes of Lockjaw Davis after all?

Well, of course he had one with Roy Eldridge:

large_550_tmp_2F1563828706941-vdhb075bp9

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I have grave doubts that Dolphy, who I do believe was playing with those guys, really said that. It sounds too much like the kind of things that anti-modernists fantasize that avant gardists really say in private. Dolphy was too dedicated to what he was doing, IMHO, to act as though it was all a pose.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Dolphy touring for Granz? Details please!!! 

I wonder if it was in his Chico Hamilton days. But I don't know if Hamilton worked for Granz.

46 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Granz booked some European tours for Coltrane - documented on Pablo.

More precisely, november 1961 in this case. The Gillespie and Coltrane bands toured Scandinavia and shared the stage together for concerts in Denmark, Sweden and Finland. There seem to be recordings of a Coltrane concert in Copenhagen from that tour where the announcements by Norman Granz also were recorded.

4 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

More precisely, november 1961 in this case. The Gillespie and Coltrane bands toured Scandinavia and shared the stage together for concerts in Denmark, Sweden and Finland. There seem to be recordings of a Coltrane concert in Copenhagen from that tour where the announcements by Norman Granz also were recorded.

11/20/61 has the announcement by Granz.  I have it on this set:

186.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=76bc0e4d4bb08706e

Yes, 20 November 1961 was the Copenhagen date during that Scandinavian tour.

And, FWIW, re- earlier questions about the Granz/Dolphy hookup, these concerts actually WERE a JATP event.

Below is the promo ad from the November, 1961 isue of ESTRAD, and further below is a page from the Stockholm concert coverage in the December, 1961 issue of ESTRAD.

45402640rr.jpg

45402645kc.jpg

(Sorry for that OT ;))

Edited by Big Beat Steve