Curtis Counce

Tom 1960

"Harold in the Land of Jazz" is a special record. And don't miss its first-cousin, Elmo Hope's "The Fox."

Huh? My CD copy presents The Fox as a Harold Land album.

Sorry -- you're right. And I reviewed "The Fox" for Down Beat when it first came out; you'd think I would know better. On the other hand, Al Hirt on trumpet there certainly sounds unusual. ;)

"Harold in the Land of Jazz" is a special record. And don't miss its first-cousin, Elmo Hope's "The Fox."

Huh? My CD copy presents The Fox as a Harold Land album.

Sorry -- you're right. And I reviewed "The Fox" for Down Beat when it first came out; you'd think I would know better. On the other hand, Al Hirt on trumpet there certainly sounds unusual. ;)

So THAT'S what happened to him!!!!

MG

Glad to see so much respect for Harold in the Land of Jazz. IMHO it is slightly better than the Fox which is the one most people cite when referencing Harold Land. He is such a great player.

I agree; despite the rare recorded appearance of Dupree Bolton, I have a slight preference for "Harold in the land of jazz".

MG

• 15 years later...

I must admit his name was not really familiar to me. I think if guys around me talked about bassists, have not mentioned him. 

But to my surprise, when I had a short look at a Bud Powell bio it was mentioned, that he played with Bud in early 1954, when Bud had a some weeks to play on the West Coast. But strange, if there was such a long tenure to on club, that there is no airshots or broadcasts. Not that I would be a completist, but I have not even known that Bud played otherwhere than in NY, and at Massey Hall in Canada....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I must admit his name was not really familiar to me. I think if guys around me talked about bassists, have not mentioned him. 

But to my surprise, when I had a short look at a Bud Powell bio it was mentioned, that he played with Bud in early 1954, when Bud had a some weeks to play on the West Coast. But strange, if there was such a long tenure to on club, that there is no airshots or broadcasts. Not that I would be a completist, but I have not even known that Bud played otherwhere than in NY, and at Massey Hall in Canada....

You can read James Harrod's sad story of Bud at The Haig here:

https://jazzresearch.com/the-haig-part-three/

It is given further coverage in Peter Pullman's excellent "Wail: The Life of Bud Powell" from page 205~