Got a valid passport?

I'm sure that photographic shops (where I've had mine taken) know the proper measurements. I had no issue when I renewed mine earlier this year.

Well, it's a shop in Canada, so they do the US photos frequently but not every day.

But really I am upset at the clear contradiction in the on-line instructions, the form itself and their little graphic. I hate situations that end up at the discretion of the clerk who ends up processing these things. On a good day, you get your passport. On a bad day, out comes the ruler...

I was going through some on-line forums to find out where to have the photo taken up here, and there are more horror stories than you might imagine, photos rejected because the forehead has too much glare, slightly incorrect measurements, etc.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a valid one. I had to present finger prints for the first time and that felt as a violation of my privacy, really. You'll have to present your ID anytime these days. One day I was getting my garbage can back from being emptied at the street and a car of town hall stopped. There was a dog next to me and they asked whether it was mine, he wasn't. My neigbour got a ticket for not having her dog on a leash ánd not carrying her id while she was just a couple of yards away from her home. I'm not going to get used to this.

I 've had a UK passport since I was in my teens and on my 3rd or 4th now. Also keep a Canadian passport and ID/citizenship card. So far the UK hasn't mandated compulsory ID card like most of the rest of Europe with the more 'Napoleonic' law systems - very controversial and likely to be delayed some years I think just on cost grounds (not to mention public objections on 'big brother' intrusion).

Didn't realise that US citizens now needed passports to enter Canada. Didn't it used to be just proof of address?

Yes, it used to be very loosey goosey at the Canada/US border, at least at the smaller crossings. It's coming back that you need it, I've forgotten and had to have them fedx'd to Saskatoon! Still better/easier at smaller crossings, but always unpredictable...I've seen everything from done in a minute with little to no wait in line to an hour in line and then having to go in to explain why my immediate family are dual citizens but I'm not or even getting the car (semi-) tossed or having to surender susage that was actually made in the States but bought in Canada (I took a big bite off both ends to make sure they didn't get any). Oh well, could be worse...

Crossing into Canada is usually quick and painless; getting back across the border is a pain in the ass. I've spent two minutes going north and an hour and a half going back south at the same crossing.

And a petty and personal complaint - I want a Swedish stamp in my passport! I've been to Sweden four or five times, depending on how you count, and nobody has ever once looked at my passport, much less stamped it. All my entries were from other Scandinavian countries, so I guess everyone just figured visitors from those countries were okay.

The border crossing just north of Lynden, Washington, where my brother-in-law lives, was the scene of one of those rare, immensely satisfying incidents that seldom happen in one's life. While crossing back into the U.S., I waited in a long, slow-moving line of cars for over an hour. When I was finally almost to the gate, a van zoomed up in the emergency lane on my right and pulled in front of me before I was able to close the gap with the car in front. I was mad. But a minute later, a very polite Canadian officer walked up and motioned for me to roll down my window. "Excuse me sir; did that car pull in front of you?" "Why, yes, officer; he did." "Was he driving in the emergency lane?" "Why, yes, officer; he was." The officer thanked me, walked up to the van, and, no longer polite, pointed to the driver and yelled, "Pull over!"

I cheered.

It has been very bad trying to get into the States by car the last two times I've tried it -- multi-hour delays and watching as the Customs inspectors went through quite a few items for the cars ahead of us. There is no better way to effectively shut down the border than to enforce everything strictly...

I often get hassled a bit for why I am working in Canada (from US agents).

I've generally had better experiences crossing over by bus.

Going back into Canada, things have basically always been smooth.

I'm a bit of a boring homebody, never particularly felt/feel the urge to travel, but when i do travel it's always like "wow that was amazing now i see why people like to travel i really need to pursue doing this more often" but eventually i settle back in to routine and forget about it and resist the next reason that i'll need to travel. S#$%, i remember when i was scheduled to go to Japan and then Croatia back in 2006, literally dreading it, traveling was the last thing that i felt like doing, i would have done anything to get out of it. But of course i went, and had my horizons broadened massively, came back and listened to nothing but the BBC world service when listening in the car, helped me to maintain that feeling that there was a wider world out there with things going on.

But yeah, over here having a current passport is a given, same as maintaining your drivers license or whatever. Interesting, although i guess not surprising consider the vast potential for internal travel, that it might not be as essential for US citizens. Going to the US and traveling around would be surreal as F@#$.

I've got a valid one. I had to present finger prints for the first time and that felt as a violation of my privacy, really. You'll have to present your ID anytime these days. One day I was getting my garbage can back from being emptied at the street and a car of town hall stopped. There was a dog next to me and they asked whether it was mine, he wasn't. My neigbour got a ticket for not having her dog on a leash ánd not carrying her id while she was just a couple of yards away from her home. I'm not going to get used to this.

I've got a gemeentelijke identiteitskaart for this reason (municipal ID card, let's you travel around the EU). I don't have a driver's license and don't feel like carrying a passport around. I suppose when it becomes time for me to own a passport again I am in trouble, since you're allowed to own only one or the other.

Edited by erwbol

I renewed mine earlier in the year and my first attempt got turned down at the 'check and send' stage at the post office because I was wearing my glasses. Went through OK after I had the photo retaken.

Strangely when I came back into Britain in October the customs chap didn't ask me to take my glasses off.