Obscure records you love which never get a mention

David Ayers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joanne Brackeen - ANCIENT DYNASTY (Tappan Zee 1980) - Brackeen, Joe Henderson, Eddie Gomez, and Jack DeJohnette, all on fire. How could it miss? Never on CD to my knowledge.

That IS a nice album.

Herb Geller - "Rhyme & Reason": a very interesting semi-electric album, featuring the vocals of Mark Murphy like you've never heard him before.

Cecil McBee Sextet - "Compassion": with Chico Freeman, Joe Gardner, Dennis Moorman, Steve McCall & Don Moye. Worth it for the side-long title cut alone! Probably never been issued on CD.

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - "Gypsy Folk Tales": the Bobby Watson/David Schnitter/Valeri Ponomarev edition. This semi-obscure album on Roulette(!) is really smokin' and a tight-as-hell front line.

Kenny Clarke's 1955 album Bohemia Afer Dark. A CD was released on Japanese Savoy ten years or so ago.

I think, but would have to double check, that this material was released as part of the Jazz in Paris box, but another a different musician's name. I know it's surfaced somewhere recently. But yes, a good date.

Charles Tyler's "Saga of the Outlaws". Yes, I know this was issued on my label, but I bought the tape from Charles and have never had the money to reissue it. I just don't want Charles and this record forgotten.

I haven't forgotten about it, Chuck!

ejp: I think it was pointed out a ways upstream, but yes, the Clarke date was included on the 2-CD Savoy Adderley SUMMER OF '55 set that came out several years ago.

Some picks from me:

Oliver Nelson, NOCTURNE

Jimmy Lyons/Andrew Cyrille, BURNT OFFERING

John Dennis, NEW PIANO EXPRESSIONS

Albert Dailey, THE DAY AFTER THE DAWN (pretty sure somebody here hipped me to this one)

Charles Tyler's "Saga of the Outlaws". Yes, I know this was issued on my label, but I bought the tape from Charles and have never had the money to reissue it. I just don't want Charles and this record forgotten.

I had never heard of this album before reading your post. After taking a look at AMG this sounds like a session I would really like to hear.

Have you ever considered doing some sort of subscription thing where people could prepay for an album and, once you had enough orders to go ahead and press 500 or 1000 copies you would start in on it? I have no idea if that would be remotely feasible or not, but it would be nice for a date like this to have a shot at appearing on cd and getting some wider exposure.

Charlie Rouse--"Soul Mates" (1988)

A great album, but nobody seems to have heard of it.

I have and I have a few hundred of them right here. I also have the labelmate recording of Social Call by Rouse with Red Rodney, Albert Dailey, etc. I think these are Rouse's best dates by far. They are also primo examples of RVG at the top of his game.

I had never heard of this album before reading your post. After taking a look at AMG this sounds like a session I would really like to hear.

I have cherished that 'Saga of the Outlaws' ever since its release.

An essential album!

When will Tyler gets the recognition he deserves?!?

Keno Duke, Sense of Values on Strata East. Nothing earth shaking but a personal favorite of mine with Frank Strozier, George Coleman, Harold Mabern and Lisle Atkinson.

Also, on Accurate Records a date by the Consuelo Jon Quintet called Last Sunday Morning. Featuring Consuelo Candelaria - piano, John Hazilla-dms., Billy Pierce- saxes, Tom Varner-Fr.Hrn., Ron Mahdi-bs. Everyone I've turned on to this date likes it. Varner doesn't get much solo space but other wise a great date with interesting tunes and arrangements in a straight ahead vein. Interestingly, the Accurate website lists Candelaria as vocals, she doesn't sing on this but she does play piano.

Edited by Tom in RI

ejp:  I think it was pointed out a ways upstream, but yes, the Clarke date was included on the 2-CD Savoy Adderley SUMMER OF '55 set that came out several years ago.

You are right. Classic stuff that needs to stay in print.

What I was actually thinking of was

Eddy Louiss Bohemia After Dark

which is part of Jazz in Paris set, disk 35.

Kenny Clarke is again the drummer.

However, this is not the Savoy material.

It was recorded in 1972. I didn't remember that part.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether a court of law would regard this as legally obscure, but it certainly deserves to be more widely known - Kenny Clarke's 1955 album Bohemia Afer Dark. A CD was released on Japanese Savoy ten years or so ago. An outstanding swing-meets-hard bop line-up including the Adderley brothers. Listen out for some sublime Jerome Richardson flute solos.

I wouldn't call this obscure.

Everybody has heard this record, just not with the original title.

cba

Ralph Moore - Images

Don't hear much about Moore, but this is a great disc:

Moore, tenor

Terence Blanchard, trumpet

Benny Green, piano

Peter Washington, bass

Kenny Washington, drums

I don't think he does much besides play every night of the week with the Tonight Show Band.

Not a bad gig if you ask me.

• 2 months later...

sidewinder 

Posted: Oct 31 2004, 04:42 AM

The Denny Zeitlin 1960s Columbias come to mind. 'Zeitgeist', 'Cathexis' and 'My Shining Hour - Live at the Trident'. All deserving of wider mention.

Up as I just discovered some of this material myself - picked up the CARNIVAL and SHINING HOUR - LIVE AT THE TRIDENT LPs last weekend. Really, really remarkable stuff - Zeitlin is amazing, really sounds - well like nobody I've heard. And Charlie Haden and Jerry Grannelli were really sympathetic partners. I am eager to track down the other dates including the two sidewinder mentions ZEITGEIST and CATHEXIS.

This material would make a nice Mosaic Select...

• 3 years later...