BIG John Patton Is Da Shit

Soulstation1

Thanks for all the great info, Jim!

The combo approach (mic'ing of the Leslie plus a direct feed) doesn't surprise me and can be a very effective approach to recording in general (often works real well for creating a good guitar sound, with a nice crisp attack and transparency but also depth and room presence). Just would have been very surprised to hear that it was all "direct to the board," I would expect a rather different sound to result as you indicate.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS - I doubt that That Certain Feelin would be released as a Conn, both with the Select coming out and IMO the music is too straight-ahead by the standards of most Conns... I'm really glad to have the album, though, finally... due to the Select.

Let 'Em Roll would be a great RVG IMO.

And, to paraphrase a couple of our members... HELL YEAH BIG JOHN PATTON IS INDEED THA SHIT! :D:D:D:D:D

new stuff i need/have to buy

patton select X

hamilton mosaic X

all the new conns (just bought the gigolo's)

lakers tickets

scarface dvd X

sanford and son season 3 dvd (my all time fav show), got a 10% off coupon for the weekend @ bestbuy. i should get the set for less than $20

ss1

link about the organ

http://www.tonewheelrecords.umm.at/tonewhe..._organ_eng.html

Edited by Soulstation1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

and Mother Ship and...

B3 - if you don't have "Mother Ship" yet, make getting that a #1 priority. Seriously. You need to hear this one, more than you could ever possibly know. Put it on your next on-line order, or bite the bullet at Borders (ouch!).

Or maybe you have this on vinyl, or a burn or something. But if you've never ever heard "Mother Ship" before - git to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up "Let Em Roll" and "Got A Good Thing Goin" tonight, listening to "Let Em Roll" a second time. I really enjoy "Got a Good Thing Goin", I like the three other mid-late 60's Patton dates I've heard, which include that and "That Certain Feeling" and "Understanding". Damn, does "Latona" have a groove though, ouch!. Love the latin thing Grant is playing.

• 3 weeks later...

B3 - if you don't have "Mother Ship" yet, make getting that a #1 priority. Seriously. You need to hear this one, more than you could ever possibly know. Put it on your next on-line order, or bite the bullet at Borders (ouch!).

I have Mothership on the Larry Mosaic. Nice date... I've been listening to it for a few weeks now.

SPACEY!

I asked for the Patton Mosaic for Christmas! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...