John Zorn's TZADIK Label

Seven Over Eight

I've given a couple of spins to the new Mark Feldman/Sylvie Courvoisier disc, "Malphas".

h18885w60jy.jpg

This disc just came out, and is beautiful. The music is composed by Zorn, in his Masada Book 2 - Book of Angels series. It's purely a duet album, and very engaging, IMO. I don't have the previous recordings in this series, but was wondering if anyone else does, if they're worth acquiring.

edit - I'm going to keep an eye out for the Rashanim discs, thanks for the intriguing write-up, PhillyQ.

Edited by Aggie87

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a night last week where I could actually go out and catch some live music(A rarity for me.), so I searched listings at everyplace in Manhattan, and I came up with nothing that caught my fancy. I decided to check out what was at The Stone, and they had a group called Rashanim, who are described as 'Jewish jazz-rock'. Intrigued, I hunted around and listened to a full tune of theirs and I really liked what I heard, so I decided to go to The Stone. Besides, I figured if they stunk I was only out $10 and the $ went to the musicians, so no great loss. The Stone is a small room, no drinks for sale, no stuff up on the walls, plastic folding chairs and a capacity of about 70-80. When I came in they had both Rashanim discs for sale at $25 for the two, so I bought them.

THESE GUYS ROCKED!!!. They are a trio of guitar, bass & drums, and what they play certainly owes a lot to jazz, rock, and some of the melodies they played sounded klezmerish. Some of the things the guitarist(Jon Madoff) played definitely had a Middle Eastern bent to them. The drummer(Mathias Kunzli)sp? was an absolute monster, driving the band by playing some beautifully timed/placed accents and framing the rhythm to provide a bed for the guitarist to fly on.

The crowd was young, looked to all be in their 20s, and that was a very positive sign to me, that young folks(I'm closing in on 50) were interested in music that had some substance to it.

I'd highly recommend them to anyone, I was that impressed. :tup They are on Zorn's Tzadik label.

I first heard about them a few months ago on NPR. You can listen to the interview with them and Zorn ... HERE.

re: Book Of Angels series.

Well I tried my best to have a bit of a boycott of all things Masada-esque for a while as it was all starting to feel the same in so many different ways, but, I just sampled a bit of Jamie Saft Trio's 'Astaroth' Volume-1 in the new series from iTunes and it was stunning. Less Anthony Coleman and more smart CecilMengelNicholsberg from the snips I heard. Anyone have the whole deal to comment upon.

I really wish Zorn would chuff out a project of some straight up jazz without the noodles and chicken soup.

Stumbled upon Bernstein's 'Diaspora Hollywood' on iTunes. Sounds intriguing esp w/ The X's Bonebrake on vibes here? Anyone have an opinion??

I recently downloaded "Diaspora Blues" with the Sam Rivers Trio from eMusic. Haven't listened to it much yet, but was wondering about the other albums in the 'Diaspora' series.

The best Tzadik things I've heard recently are:

Derek Bailey - Carpal Tunnel (his last recording)

Jamie Saft - Plays the Music of John Zorn Vol. 1: Astharoth

Rashanim - Masada Rock

Paul Shapiro - It's in the Twilight - this is not your normal Tzadik - it's Jewish-sounding Latin jazz and groove (w/ Steven Bernstein and other Tzadik regulars)

And last but not least,

Misha Mengelberg - Senne Sing Song (Released for the anniversary of Misha's 80th birthday)

Matt

P.S. I have played all these a lot on the radio.

My wish list has grown after reading the great suggestions on this thread. Here are my favorite Tzadiks. Some have been mentioned by others:

Ahava Raba--"Kete Kuf" One of the few albums that I have ever heard that deserves adjectives like astonishing, amazing, even mindblowing. It is certainly unique to my listening experience, and not unpleasant to listen to. When people say that there is nothing exciting or different being released any more, I play them "Kete Kuf" and wait for the reaction.

Steven Bernstein--"Diaspora Blues" I like all three of his "Diaspora" albums, but this one, with Sam Rivers and his group, is really special. It is tied with William Parker's "O'Neal's Porch" for me as my favorite jazz album of the last decade.

John Zorn--"The Circle Maker". Zorn does not play on this album. It is very beautiful.

Frank London--"Invocations". Very beautiful music by a trumpet player with a compelling sound and approach.

• 2 weeks later...

re: Saft's "Astaroth" Angels Volume 1.

while I don't buy much in the way of "new" music these days I just received this disc and after a couple of spins I must say it is one of the most beautifully done albums that I have heard recently. not overtly Zorn in feeling, while a couple of the power cuts could easily be a vehicle for 'Electric Masada', and while similar to some of the Anthony Colemans the flow is just top notch with swingers interweaving the modals and folk forms. Greg Cohen makes you antsy for that new Ornette and Ben Perowsky who I have not heard much at all is as subtle and powerful as Baron.

:tup

• 5 months later...

The Tzadik site has been updated (with the usual hyperbole) with some intriguing new and upcoming releases:

Evan Parker: Time Lapse

Evan Parker has practically single handedly redefined the language of the saxophone. A profound influence on several generations of musicians, his impact on modern saxophone technique is staggering. His newest project takes his visionary music to a new level through the world of overdubbing and electronics. Time Lapse is one of Evan’s greatest achievements. Eleven compositions by one of the most important and radical improvisers in the world. Essential.

Billy Martin: Starlings

A striking and colorful CD of chamber music by Billy Martin, the dynamic percussionist from one of the world’s most popular instrumental bands, Medeski Martin and Wood. Performed and recorded originally on a wide variety of African thumb pianos, these delightful pieces have been meticulously transcribed, arranged and orchestrated by Anthony Coleman for string quartet and chamber orchestra. Rounding out the program is a suite of compositions performed by Billy’s dynamic percussion ensemble.

Upcoming Releases

Archival Series

John Zorn: Astronome [#7359]

Zorn continues his intense new rock direction with a second release by the dynamic all star trio from his acclaimed song suite Moonchild to present an intense and mysterious tale of magic and alchemy. Featuring the mad vocal wizardry of Mike Patton singing in preverbal language accompanied by long time cohort Trevor Dunn on electric bass and Joey Baron on drums, this is Zorn at his edgy and uncompromising best. An opera of unbridled madness and complexity that will make your jaw drop. Recorded and mixed by the radical posse of musical terrorist Bill Laswell.

Uri Caine: Moloch: Book of Angels Volume 6 [#7360]

Uri Caine is a musician of astonishing virtuosity and versatility. Coming out of the legendary Philly Jazz scene, his playing is an encyclopedia of styles from Tatum to Evans and beyond. With Moloch he interprets tunes from Zorn’s Book of Angels in a breathtaking outing for solo piano. Virtuosic and soulful, this latest volume of material from Masada Book Two is an absolute tour-de-force. Fifteen musical miniatures by one of the world’s greatest piano virtuosos.

Composer Series

Earle Brown: Folio and Four Systems [#8028]

A spectacular collection of musicians from all over the map, including Leo Smith, Joan La Barbara, Mark Feldman, Morton Subotnick and Merzbow perform dynamic interpretations of compositions by one of America’s greatest musical experimentalists. Influenced by the work of Jackson Pollock and Alexander Calder, Brown pioneered graphic, improvisational and open form scores in contemporary concert music as early as 1952. This heartfelt tribute, organized by the Earle Brown Foundation to commemorate Brown’s 80th birthday, brings together musicians and ensembles from rock, jazz and classical backgrounds in exciting and varied realizations of Brown’s groundbreaking open form work, Folio and Four Systems.

Lee Hyla: Wilson's Ivory-Bill [#8027]

Another classic CD of exciting chamber work by one of the most consistently imaginative and original composers around. Featuring some of the best performers out of the excellent Boston New Music scene, Wilson’s Ivory-Bill presents four extended compositions of color, meticulous detail and dramatic fireworks, including a bizarre piece for voice, piano and birdsong and an intense new string quartet. This is a remarkable and varied CD of new classical music at its adventurous best.

Key Series

Henry Kaiser / Charles K. Noyes / Sang Won Park: Invite the Spirit 2006 [#7617]

One of the most evocative and successful meetings of East and West reunites to weave their magic spell via kayagum, electric guitar and percussion. Invite the Spirit was a sensation when it was first released in 1983 and now over twenty years later they are sounding better than ever. Joined by two scintillating Korean P’ansori vocalists on several tracks this is a whole new take on the Korean shamanistic tradition. Over seventy minutes of timeless, ecstatic, magical music unlike anything you’ve ever heard.

Radical Jewish Culture

Alon Nechushtan and Talat: The Growl [#8113]

Talat is a dynamic new ensemble based in New York that plays original music crossing the borders of Jazz, Middle Eastern Groove and Klezmer. Featuring a quintet of some of the most talented players out of the new generation, this is a brilliant debut CD that will delight fans of Masada, Rashanim, Satlah and the Hasidic New Wave. Loping melodies, catchy hooks and improvisational fireworks from a new generation bringing Jewish music to exciting new places.

Rashanim: Shalosh [#8112]

With its exciting blend of rock, jazz and jewish music, Rashanim has quickly become one of the most dynamic bands in the Jewish New Music scene. Their last release Masada Rock has garnered them much well deserved attention, and after extensive touring through Europe the band is more than ready for their third studio recording on Tzadik. Tighter than ever, this Jewish power trio rips through an electrifying program of mystical jewish melodies and middle eastern grooves.

Henry Kaiser / Charles K. Noyes / Sang Won Park: Invite the Spirit 2006 [#7617]

One of the most evocative and successful meetings of East and West reunites to weave their magic spell via kayagum, electric guitar and percussion. Invite the Spirit was a sensation when it was first released in 1983 and now over twenty years later they are sounding better than ever. Joined by two scintillating Korean P’ansori vocalists on several tracks this is a whole new take on the Korean shamanistic tradition. Over seventy minutes of timeless, ecstatic, magical music unlike anything you’ve ever heard.

I'll be getting this, wouldn't mind finding a copy of the original 70s/80s edition on CD.

• 1 month later...

I have really enjoyed some tasty Tzadik discs by Bailey, Leo Smith and most recently Ruins. I am sure I'll hear 2-3 more good things on Tzadik every year til I die. As for Ruins and one other New Japan series disc, I am also very hot on guitarist Uchihashi Kazuhisa. If you like Ruins, try these for sure: Ruins + Kazuhisa (FMN Sound Factory) and Improvisations, Kazuhisa w/ Yoshida Tatsuya (label?, avail at DMG and Aquarius in SF).

• 1 month later...

Paul Shapiro - It's in the Twilight - unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you seem to like this... :g

just to sample i loaded up "Oy Veys Mir" from emusic - choy boyh it's a shavingah! I already stomped on my coffee cup!

you'll like it, too, once you get yourself a copy! now move your assa out to the shoppe to do so! :excited: