Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on notes and info for the last reissue from our Art Ensemble box I found a typo in the booklet to the set. The location of the recordings to be reissued was wrong. The two pieces were recorded in Lester and Fontella's home at 1739 E. 74th St. Somewhere in the process the street number was changed to 75th. As it typed it in, something seemed wrong. I went to Google Earth and saw a huge block of a building and then I checked my ancient phone book and found the error. One block north was the row of townhouses I remembered. DANG, I hate errors like this.

Working on notes and info for the last reissue from our Art Ensemble box I found a typo in the booklet to the set. The location of the recordings to be reissued was wrong. The two pieces were recorded in Lester and Fontella's home at 1739 E. 74th St. Somewhere in the process the street number was changed to 75th. As it typed it in, something seemed wrong. I went to Google Earth and saw a huge block of a building and then I checked my ancient phone book and found the error. One block north was the row of townhouses I remembered. DANG, I hate errors like this.

Whenever I see vintage addresses referenced, I always have a compulsion to look them up in Street View. Thanks for your accuracy!

• 3 weeks later...

hl7196.jpg

Modern Jazz Festival - This album is on Columbia's budget Harmony label, and I guess that division couldn't afford a proofreader. Gene Roland's name is spelled correctly in the back cover credits, but spelled "Rowland" on the front. Zoot Sims is credited with playing alto sax on "I Cover the Waterfront." (I know that he played alto at times, but he's definitely on tenor here.) And Joe Puma's "Give Me the Simple Life" allegedly has Tom Stewart on soprano sax and "Steve Lacey" on tenor horn.

• 3 weeks later...

I think both artists and labels out to spend more time proofreading. I reviewed a CD a couple of years ago where one track

was listed as Thelonious Monk's "Locomotion." I'd never heard of this "Monk" song though I knew his "Locomotive" well. It

turns out it was John Coltrane's composition, played on his famous Blue Trane album.

But the one that takes the cake is Will Calhoun: Live at the Blue Note. The last track was listed as Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance,"

but it was McCoy Tyner's "Passion Dance." The guy reviewing it for JT couldn't tell the difference.

I can't resist. Considering the topic and all, it is ironic you typed 'out' instead of 'ought' (line one paragraph 1).

I'm just sayin' :rolleyes:

And this comes from a disfunctional two finger typer, so its all good!

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about the non-fun side of all those mistakes today. There were so many errors in important discographical information of the CD reissue era. Cuscuna was one of the main offenders, as I was reminded today when looking at the description of the original appearance of tracks on the Complete Africa Brass. So well-known that no-one who knows it could make a mistake, but Cuscuna did, and he and others quite quite often did. I could easily find a hundred. It makes you wonder how many less obvious mistakes there are around as well. It's a pity - still, a lost golden age, I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ESP has botched up the booklet of the Norman Howard disc already ... but I guess nothing beats my copy of Frank Wright's "Blues for Albert Ayler". The tray is glued to the wrong part of the cardboard-cover and hence the booklet is in a slot that's on the upper part of the case - falling out of course.

Pretty weird thing to happen - no one has checked this before it went to the duplicator, I guess (and the duplicator was deaf, dumb and blind). But anyway, great to see ESP going on, of course!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Andrew Hill Nefertiti Test of Time , noticed the other day that the disc itself incorrectly states Art Farmer - Nerfertiti, everything else is correct and Art is nowhere to be heard on the disc. I assume ToT must have an Art Farmer session on their books.

51T2408JVNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, the booklet gives both January 25, 1976 and 1977 as the date.

• 7 months later...

Pretty major one: Ran Blake's notes as printed in the booklet for Unmarked Van seem to be transcribed verbatim from a handwritten first draft outline, including placeholders (i.e. NAME OF DRUMMER, 'Mention Third Stream Foundation' and ????). I'd like to think this was done on purpose in order to give us a peek into the thought process, but, um, I don't think so. At least Art Lange was having a good day, and his contribution is thoughtful, well-written, and illuminating, rather than his occasional dump of half-baked pablum.

The contributions of Michael Cuscuna and Ira Gitler to the new Blue Note and Prestige SHMs are chock-full of spelling errors, elisions, etc. You'd think these new liner notes must have been provided in electronic format to the Japanese editors of these booklets, but they look like they were typed into a text editor by someone not too well acquainted with the English language.

I mentioned on another thread recently that Leonard Feather's liner notes for Don Menza's excellent "Hip Pocket" (PAJ) state that what is in fact a tenor saxophone solo by Sal Nistico on "Quasimodo" is an alto solo by Menza. Menza doesn't solo on that track.

• 2 weeks later...

a little different; years ago Bob Neloms came up to do a concert as part of a seminar I was doing in New Haven; I was giving the reporter his credits - worked with Gene Ammons, Charles Mingus, a few gigs with Dexter Gordon, and even Smokey Robinson; well, when the story came out, the reporter reported that Ammons, Dexter, Robinson, and Mingus would be appearing with Bob at this concert. Fortunately, the audience was fairly hip and nobody seemed to notice or complain. Too bad, would have been some concert....

Edited by AllenLowe