Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

a little different; years ago Bob Neloms came up to do a concert as part of a seminar I was doing in New Haven; I was giving the reporter his credits - worked with Gene Ammons, Charles Mingus, a few gigs with Dexter Gordon, and even Smokey Robinson; well, when the story came out, the reporter reported that Ammons, Dexter, Robinson, and Mingus would be appearing with Bob at this concert. Fortunately, the audience was fairly hip and nobody seemed to notice or complain. Too bad, would have been some concert....

Ah, if we could only bring them back by writing about them......

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came across an error that's bugged me for a long time. It relates to Hank Garland's album "Jazz Winds From A New Direction". I don't know where the mistake originated, but at some point the song "Riot-Chous" (a bit of clever wordplay, combining the words "riot" and "righteous") became "Riot-Chorus". The latter title not only stuck around, but seems to be more commonly used now.

Just came across an error that's bugged me for a long time. It relates to Hank Garland's album "Jazz Winds From A New Direction". I don't know where the mistake originated, but at some point the song "Riot-Chous" (a bit of clever wordplay, combining the words "riot" and "righteous") became "Riot-Chorus". The latter title not only stuck around, but seems to be more commonly used now.

Forgot to post this:

img_1769.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure if this has already been mentioned:

In the Candid CD version of "Charles Mingus ‎– Presents Charles Mingus"  (Candid ‎– CCD 79005, ℗ © 1997 Candid Productions Ltd. on disk itself), the booklet (which supposedly is a reprint of the original LP) gives wrong personnel on its back page: Booker Ervin instead of Eric Dolphy. Correct personnel is on the reissue back cover. 

Just listening to the Mosaic "Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions" CD box set.

Someting's gone wrong in the booklet inside the box to accompany disc III:

In line with their session coding running from A to B through AA to AAA to ZZZ, the back cover lists the Deane Kincaide session as session R and the Scatman Crothers session as session S (plausibly so in accordance with the sequence of the tracks on the CD). Looking up the discographical details in the booklet, though, the Scatman Crothers session is listed as session R and the Deane Kincaide session as session S (in that order).

Whatsamatter, Mosaic? Your proofreader been taking five when the texts were okayed for printing? ;)

• 4 months later...

I wrote a series of liner note bios for a series of European compilations. Unfortunately I never saw the playlists or personnel, otherwise I would have made a lot of corrections for them. Nearly every liner note job I've had has had either spelling mistakes, missing instruments, wrong or missing song titles (like a medley that omits a song), incorrect or missing composers/lyricists in the information provided to me by the label or artist. Since my name is going on the final product, I like everything to be correct.

Of course, if we talk jazz books, no one seems to beat Stuart Nicholson for typos and outright errors.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 8:20 AM, Hardbopjazz said:

Here's a mistake that wasn't caught.

Image result for kenny burrell here's that rainy day

Where's the mistake on this?  The photo orientation being flipped?  If so, that seems pretty tame.

In other guitar-related news, the penultimate track on the new Wes Montgomery/Wynton Kelly "Smokin' In Seattle" disc (Resonance label) was mis-identified.  It's a Jobim tune, but it's not "O Morro Nao Tem Vez", it's "O Amor Em Paz" (aka "Once I Loved").  I wonder if someone at Resonance initiated the mistake, or whether it goes back to 1966.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a youngster and living in Europe the records easy to achieve were those "Musidisc" albums, most of them with (at least then) rare live material, and they were "famous" for wrong years and wrong personnel. It was so bad it took me years to learn jazz history properly, because I was wrong informed:
Some examples:

Tadd Dameron/Fats Navarro was titled "Birdland 1949" but really it might have been "Roost 1948", incredible isn´t it ?

And even worse: There was one album of Bud and it was called "Live from Birdland 1956" and the listed personnel was "Paul Chambers and Art Taylor ". Actually it was februrary 1953 with Oscar Pettiford and Roy Haynes. But I was smart enough to not believe that the more old fashioned bass sound couldn´t be Paul Chambers strong and fat sound and steady lines. And after some time I purchased a Victor record of Bud from 56 and it sounds so poor it couldnt be the same Bud.

And there was an Italian Label with the strange titles "....at his rare of all rarest performances", and there was a Miles Davis album from Birdland 51 and if you know Miles composition "Down", well it´s on that album but it was titled "Mike´s Blues" so there was some confusion when someone else titled a tune "Mike´s Blues" and I thought he might have stolen the title from Davis......

Yes, those Musidiscs often contained wrong date and personnel info. But they DID have their advantages - they WERE available, they were affordable and they made lots of rare stuff available at a time when small labels from abroad/overseas were very thin on the ground over here.

And it has to be said in their defense that they took up lots of live recordings from U.S. labels (e.g. Alamac) that included incorrect dates too. Probably a case of mistakes being copied without proper research

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One of the worst was Will Calhoun's Live at the Blue Note on Half Note Records, which labeled the last track as Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance," though it was actually McCoy Tyner's "Passion Dance." The poor sap who reviewed it for JazzTimes evidently rewrote the press release, if he coudln't immediately identify either of these well known songs, he probably shouldn't be reviewing jazz, especially for a widely distributed magazine. 

I think this was corrected with a later printing.

There's also a SteepleChase CD which misidentifies John Coltrane's "Locoomtion" as being a Thelonious Monk work, an error repeated by liner note writer Mark Gardner, who has been around long enough to know better. I am trying to recall the name of the artist and album...

On 11/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, Pim said:

Several of my McCoy Tyner OJC reissues got McCoy Turner or McCoy Tuner on the side of them.... very annoying. 

That error is on Trane's "Africa Brass" album, his first for Impulse. It was not repeated on later albums.

I've read a few posts in this thread. Most errors that I saw are trivialities.

Edited by Shrdlu