Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evidently liner note writer Mark Gardner doesn't bother with checking the composer credits on a number of SteepleChase CDs for which he has written liner notes.

"Old Folks," composed by Willard Robison, is only credited to the lyricist, Dedette Lee Hill, though her name is misspelled on several CDs where this song appears, either as Dedate Hill or Dedate Lee Hill:

SteepleChase Jam Session Vol. 1, Vol. 9, Vol. 14

I'm trying to remember the SteepleChase CD where John Coltrane's "Locomotion" is credited to Thelonious Monk, another with liner notes by the hapless Mark Gardner.

One of the biggest howlers was the Paris All-Stars Tribute to Charlie Parker on A&M, which misidentified the opening track as Dizzy Gillespie's "Birks' Works," nearly every reviewer knew that it was Charlie Parker's "Steeplechase."

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 1 month later...

My copy of Bobby Hutcherson's 'Oblique' (2005 RvG-edition) has Herbie Hancock misspelled as 'Herbie Handcock' on the cover.

Most annoying 'mistake' that I have come across is the misprint of the 'Live at the Lighthouse'-album by The Three Sounds. My copy is labelled correctly but contains altogether different music. In my search to replace it I have come across a few (European) copies but they all had the same problem. As a result, it's one of a few classic Blue Note-titles that's still missing from my collection.

Edited by Mark13

1 hour ago, Mark13 said:

Most annoying 'mistake' that I have come across is the misprint of the 'Live at the Lighthouse'-album by The Three Sounds. my copy is labelled correctly but contains altogether different music. 

Huh? The domestic reissue with all the extra tunes had at least one CD pressing of something else entirely?  I guess I am enormously lucky that I didn't get the wrong one.  If you still have the CD inserts I'd suggest buying the MP3 album from Amazon and call it a day. It's a great record made even better by all the unissued tracks.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Huh? The domestic reissue with all the extra tunes had at least one CD pressing of something else entirely?  I guess I am enormously lucky that I didn't get the wrong one.  If you still have the CD inserts I'd suggest buying the MP3 album from Amazon and call it a day. It's a great record made even better by all the unissued tracks.

On one of the first pages of this thread @mikeweil claimed to have encountered the same problem, so yes, I guess that something went wrong with at least one domestic pressing. The (very, very) few copies that I have managed to dig up from second hand-bins here in The Netherlands had the same problem.

As a result, I have been reluctant to buy it online. But maybe I will give it a try with a seller on Ebay or so. MP-3 is really not an option. i want a bona fide full-pressing - I'm a stickler for that.

But thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware of the bonus-material. It makes it even more desirable to find a copy.

Edited by Mark13

4 minutes ago, Mark13 said:

On one of the first pages of this thread @Mikeweil claimed to have encountered the same problem, so yes, I guess that something went wrong with at least one domestic pressing. The (very, very) few copies that I have managed to dig up from second hand-bins here in The Netherlands had the same problem.

As a result, I have been reluctant to buy it online. But maybe I will give it a try with a seller on Ebay or so. IMP-3 is really not an option. i want a bona fide full-pressing - I'm a stickler for that.

But thanks for your reply. I 'wasn't aware of the bonus-material.. It makes it even more desirable to find a copy.

Eight extra tunes nearly 30 minutes longer than the LP.

On 3.1.2009 at 3:39 PM, Ken Dryden said:

Some of the most common mistakes:

Composer credits:

Richard Rodgers as "Richard Rogers"

Willard Robison as "Willard Robinson"

These mistakes have happened so frequently I've lost track of them.

Will Calhoun: Live at the Blue Note

The last track is listed as "Dolphin Dance" by Herbie Hancock, it is actually "Passion Dance" by McCoy Tyner. Whoever reviewed it for JazzTimes didn't know the difference between the two songs and waxed eloquently about what a great version of "Dolphin Dance" it was. Half Note may have corrected it on later editions.

Duke Ellington's tune "Just Squeeze Me" is often miscredited as "Squeeze Me" by Fats Waller - probably because the musiciians omitted the word "Just" when they named the title.

R-7229277-1436660597-6059.jpeg.jpg

There is little evidence that anyone bothered to proofread or do basic research about songwriters.

Three of the songwriters of "Body And Soul" have their last names misspelled, while Johnny Green is omitted entirely.

Lyricist Mort Dixon is missing from a vocal version of "Bye-Bye Blackbird."

No credit is given to songwriters Nat Adderley and Oscar Brown, Jr. for "Work Song."

Benny Carter is listed as Carter King and Irving Mills as Erving Mills for the songwriter credits to "Blues in My Heart."

The songwriter of "Just The Way You Are" is given as Billy Joe, not Billy Joel.history#latest

The liner notes are equally sloppy. It must have been in danger of going overbudget, or someone's in-attentive in-law was put in charge of research.

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Duke Ellington's tune "Just Squeeze Me" is often miscredited as "Squeeze Me" by Fats Waller - probably because the musiciians omitted the word "Just" when they named the title.

That's true, but the liner note writer, artist or producer should be aware of the difference between the two songs. Ellington's song is far better known than Waller's song. Also don't take as gospel the composer credited by the bandleader. Cyrus Chestnut credited Bill Evans with writing Miles Davis' "Nardis" on a live CD I have. 

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Some "mistakes" are intentional. Fantasy spelled the name of Cal Tjader's drummer in the 1950's, Al Torre, "Torres" to make it sound Spanish. They thought this would suit the Latin jazz image better.

Andrew Hill went by Andrew “Hille” purporting to be from Haiti, and with the spelling change — all to sound a little more exotic.

This even made it to an album cover (or two??) early on…

jimmy-woods-conflict-rearcover-600.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never knew what caused the change in the spelling of Stephane Grappelly's name, I always assumed that it was some record label executive.

The interesting thing about Stephane Grappelli's name is that he continued to sign "Stephane Grappelly." I learned this in a chance conversation with Marian McPartland, when I happened to ask her if she had considered having him on Piano Jazz. She replied, "Funny you should mention it, we're taping this week." I brought up the old piano trio LP I had by him from the 1950s and she asked me if I'd FedEx it to her to show him (at her expense). I agreed to do it and asked her to request that he sign it, which he did, the day the show was taped in October 1989.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:08 AM, EKE BBB said:

Album title in the original Moodsville edition of Kenny Burrell's disc with Coleman Hawkins reads 'Bluesey Burrell', while several subsequent reissues (OJC et al) read 'Bluesy Burrell':

MC0zMjEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

OC0xOTc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Not only that, but the feature "bossa nova" tune is misspelled, should be Tres Palabras!

There are so many howling errors in jazz covers and booklets that this thread is like shooting fish in the proverbial barrel.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2021 at 3:20 AM, EKE BBB said:

Well, he was Kenny Dorham in the LP back cover:

R-11412447-1544272483-1334.jpeg.jpg

Also for Savoy, early years:

R-7322922-1458861022-4333.jpeg.jpg

This time also on the back cover:

R-7322922-1458861025-9807.jpeg.jpg

Just reading "From Swing to Bop" -a great book btw-  and Ira Gitler explains that he was originally called "Kinney, short for McKinley".

• 5 months later...

PrimarySecondary, 2 of 4

Ensayo issues of 'Ten To Two Blues' (both LP and CD versions) incorrectly list Slide Hampton's ‘Last Minute Blues’ as Tete Montoliu’s ‘Blues To Line’. This also happens, either as a mistake or as an appropriation, on a different recording from 1973, issued on RTVE Música CD: 63013 — Jazz En España 1 (2005).

In fact, this sort of 'appropriation' was quite common in Montoliu's career. I am preparing a short essay on the issue.

On the contrary, Enja issues of the abovementioned recording, under the name of 'After Hours', correctly lists the Hampton tune.

Primary

Secondary, 2 of 4

BTW, 'Last Minute Blues' timing is incorrectly listed in this LP back cover. It is exactly the same as in the Ensayo issue, above eight minutes.

1 hour ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Something makes me wonder if that is even his signature!kelley-vs-kelly-covers.jpg?w=1166&h=586

🤣

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet in this thread.  I recently picked up the RVG version of Horace Silver's Serenade To A Soul Sister at a used record meet.  It turns out it was a made-on-demand copy, but those have reproductions of the original cover and liner notes.  It says on the cover, booklet and disc "Produced by Alfred Lion," but Lion stopped producing the prior year.  This was produced by either Francis Wolff or Horace Silver (per Horace's liner notes).