Mistakes in covers, booklets...

EKE BBB

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then and now, it still kind of amazes me that Savoy/Salim got that group of people together in the studio. The wild card, now that I think of it, might have been Buster Cooper. Maybe Chino Pozo too. And Max Roach as a sideman. Did the first two ever record with any of the other guys? Whatever, it worked like gangbusters. (Yes, Dorham was a Roach sideman.)

Another one that gives me a somewhat (but only somewhat) similar feeling is Bennie Green and Gene Ammons' fabulous "The Swingin'est" (Veejay), with Frank Foster, Frank Wess, Nat Adderly, Tommy Flanagan, Eddie Jones, and Albert Heath.  Chicago DJ Sid McCoy was the A&R man. Perhaps the Basie band was in town (Foster, Wess, Jones).

On 6/19/2022 at 6:26 PM, medjuck said:

Just reading "From Swing to Bop" -a great book btw-  and Ira Gitler explains that he was originally called "Kinney, short for McKinley".

In Jack Chambers's biography of Miles, "Milestones," Dorham is consistently referred-to as Kinney.  His index entry says "Dorham, Kinney (Kenny)."

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

In Jack Chambers's biography of Miles, "Milestones," Dorham is consistently referred-to as Kinney.  His index entry says "Dorham, Kinney (Kenny)."

I always had the impression (too lazy to look up sources) that Dorham, early in his career, was frequently referred to as Kinney.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if the one below has been posted or mentioned here before. I guess it ranks as the longest-standing album cover "mistake" ever perpetuated through the generations. (Of course I realize it all was a markting ploy by Verve at the time, and the "explanation" - or excuse - on the back cover liner notes reads VERY lame and identifies the place incorrectly again, so .... 😄)

45111990gl.jpg

As will be known, the contents on this LP originated nowhere near London and were recorded live not in Stockholm (as the liner notes claim) but in Göteborg (Sweden). Seeing how often reissues have "corrected" the packagings of earlier pressings elsewhere, it is strange that not even subsequent  CD reissues with the original cover photo ever saw fit to change the title to something tongue-in-cheek like "Basie NOT in London". 😁

As I just saw in a period music magazine, no wonder they did pick up on this misappropriation in their ads for the Swedish release of this:

"- the much talked-about LP with the "false designation of origin" - recorded in Göteborg."

45112021uc.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve

8 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I wonder if the one below has been posted or mentioned here before. I guess it ranks as the longest-standing album cover "mistake" ever perpetuated through the generations. (Of course I realize it all was a markting ploy by Verve at the time, and the "explanation" - or excuse - on the back cover liner notes reads VERY lame and identifies the place incorrectly again, so .... 😄)

45111990gl.jpg

As will be known, the contents on this LP originated nowhere near London and were recorded live not in Stockholm (as the liner notes claim) but in Göteborg (Sweden). Seeing how often reissues have "corrected" the packagings of earlier pressings elsewhere, it is strange that not even subsequent  CD reissues with the original cover photo ever saw fit to change the title to something tongue-in-cheek like "Basie NOT in London". 😁

As I just saw in a period music magazine, no wonder they did pick up on this misappropriation in their ads for the Swedish pressing of this:

"- the much talked-about LP with the "false designation of origin" - recorded in Göteborg."

45112021uc.jpg

Near enough, I guess ! 😆

Rare picture there these days of a Pearly King and Queen. Once a fairly regular sight in the Smoke, I guess these days they have been ‘cancelled’..

Edited by sidewinder