Black Jazz & Tribe Records

Late

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

Which CD release (2004, 2009 or 2020) are you referring to? The 2020 Octave Lab release sounds fine to me (plus it has two extra tracks)

Title (Format)LabelCat#CountryYear

Reflections In The Sea Of Nurnen (LP, Album, Reissue)Tribe (3)TRCD4009US2002

Reflections In The Sea Of Nurnen (CD, Album, Reissue)P-Vine RecordsPCD-23572Japan2004

Reflections In The Sea Of Nurnen (CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Paper Sleeve )P-Vine RecordsPCD-22335Japan2009

Reflections In The Sea Of Nurnen (LP, Album, Reissue)Tribe (3), Pure Pleasure RecordsTRCD4009, RSN 001UK2018

Reflections In The Sea Of Nurnen +2 (CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered)Octave Lab, Tribe (3)OTLCD2477Japan2020

Mine is on a label called Black Ark.  It has 10 tracks.  The only copyright date is 1975.

EDIT:  It is on P-Vine, 2009. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever it's worth, I have this cheap LP reissue from 2002 and always thought it sounded pretty good... which surprised me considering the cost, and assuming it just came from a digital master... 

https://www.discogs.com/release/2026710-Doug-Hammond-David-Durrah-Reflections-In-The-Sea-Of-Nurnen

But having said that I'm going to go back & listen again. Seeing that the Now Again reissues were cut by Bernie Grundman, I can only imagine that his cut will be an improvement on what I have. Decisions, decisions...

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Mine is on a label called Black Ark.  It has 10 tracks.  The only copyright date is 1975.

EDIT:  It is on P-Vine, 2009. 

I think that might explain it. While I haven't heard this particular album on P-Vine, I've had others from the same series and they sounded horrible. I had the P-Vine "mini-LP" CD version of A Message From the Tribe and it was compressed to hell, no-noised to death, and the high end jacked way up. It was seriously painful to listen to.

Edited by webbcity
clarity... omitted a phrase

4 hours ago, webbcity said:

I think that might explain it. While I haven't heard this particular album on P-Vine, I've had others from the same series and they sounded horrible. I had the P-Vine "mini-LP" CD version of A Message From the Tribe and it was compressed to hell, no-noised to death, and the high end jacked way up. It was seriously painful to listen to.

My copy of the 2009 P-Vine CD sounds like it was sourced from an OK vinyl copy with an OK stylus.  I was mad at myself for not digitizing the LP that I sold, because it sounded so much better.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 hours ago, webbcity said:

I have some Strata-East titles on P-Vine, and they are also pretty wretched.

23 hours ago, felser said:

I have some Strata-East titles on P-Vine, and they are also pretty wretched.

Do you happen to have the Ensemble Al-Salaam? As I'm thinking about these, that's one that I recall actually having good sound. I'll have to pull it out & play it again to make sure I'm remembering correctly though...

11 hours ago, Pim said:

I’ve got Waldrons On Steinway on P-Vine which sounds excellent. Thousand times better than the horrible Fuel 2000. Also got Clifford Jordan’s in The World but it has been a while that I gave that one a spin. 

In the World has been on my want list forever! I missed that CD when it came out... I really hope someone reissues that again someday.

1 hour ago, webbcity said:

Do you happen to have the Ensemble Al-Salaam? As I'm thinking about these, that's one that I recall actually having good sound. I'll have to pull it out & play it again to make sure I'm remembering correctly though...

In the World has been on my want list forever! I missed that CD when it came out... I really hope someone reissues that again someday.

In the World was reissued on SHM-CD fairly recently, shouldn’t be too hard to find
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373431774226?hash=item56f244ac12:g:u2IAAOSw1PFgXZ7r

7 hours ago, Pim said:

The other P-Vine also isn’t hard find either. 20 copies for sale in Discogs :)

Yes, it's a price thing for me... Being in the US, most options are shipping from overseas and that makes the total cost a minimum of $40-45 with shipping. That seems like a lot to me, even for a CD I really want. But we'll see... it may be that I'm just going to have to pay a lot no matter what, and I can get myself used to that idea eventually... :)

50 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Yes, it's a price thing for me... Being in the US, most options are shipping from overseas and that makes the total cost a minimum of $40-45 with shipping. That seems like a lot to me, even for a CD I really want. But we'll see... it may be that I'm just going to have to pay a lot no matter what, and I can get myself used to that idea eventually... :)

Yeah I could understand that!

• 6 months later...

Heads up for anyone interested, Real Gone Records has all of their in-stock Black Jazz LP titles on sale for $11.99: https://realgonemusic.com/collections/vinyl/black-jazz

On 9/11/2011 at 11:52 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Can anyone tell me about the sound quality of either the CD or vinyl reissue(s) of the Doug Hammond and David Durrah "Reflections in the Sea of Nurnen?" I find that vinyl reissues of recent dacades have been dodgy. Do you know if either is from the master tapes or from an inferior source? The mp3 album sounds like it's sourced from vinyl.

I've got the Pure Pleasure reissue LP of Nurnen and am very happy with it. No idea about tape provenance but I recommend this to anyone who wants an LP of this album. 

I've got a few Pure Pleasure reissues and am happy with them all FWIW. The only Real Gone LP I have is the reissue of Tapscott's The Giant Is Awakened and it's quality too. 

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I find it interesting how current jazz fandom often compares Black Jazz to Strata-East. One of those labels is pure quality all the way through, whereas the other is pure peaks and troughs.

I probably agree…

Though I’d add that the peaks are higher (a number of really true “greats”) — and the troughs lower (a fair number of kinda “meh” dates) on the one more uneven label…

…Whereas the more consistent label is nearly all “good” — but with very few truly “great albums”.

(Assuming, of course, that we agree on which label is which!! ^_^)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

18 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I probably agree…

Though I’d add that the peaks are higher (a number of really true “greats”) — and the troughs lower (a fair number of kinda “meh” dates) on the one more uneven label…

…Whereas the more consistent label is nearly all “good” — but with very few truly “great albums”.

(Assuming, of course, that we agree on which label is which!! ^_^)

Black Jazz was utterly consistent.  Strata-East was spectacular at times in the early years, but put out some real dogs later on.

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I dunno, the Gene Russell album where he destroys "My Cherie Amour" is one I can certainly live without. Granted, it was his label, so he had the right to destroy whatever he wanted to.  :lol:

I much prefer it to Muriel Winston, "The Warm Voice of Billy C", etc., from the later days of Strata-East.  I agree it is one of the weakest releases on Black Jazz along with Cleveland Eaton and Kellee Patterson, but none of them are bad bad vanity projects like some of the later Strata-East titles.

40 minutes ago, felser said:

I much prefer it to Muriel Winston, "The Warm Voice of Billy C", etc., from the later days of Strata-East.  I agree it is one of the weakest releases on Black Jazz along with Cleveland Eaton and Kellee Patterson, but none of them are bad bad vanity projects like some of the later Strata-East titles.

Not sure I know many, or for that matter any, of the later Strata-East albums.  What years would the later albums cover?

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Not sure I know many, or for that matter any, of the later Strata-East albums.  What years would the later albums cover?

1975-1980 (a few more leaked out on CD only in the late 80's).  Earlier releases are 1971-1974.