Upcoming RVG's for 2004

Indestructible!

Hi All,

I just noticed a posting at AAJ that was provided by Kevin Bresnahan concerning upcoming RVG's. Since I don't think he'll be posting here at Organissimo any time soon, I thought I'd pass along the link:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread....p?threadid=1899

Looks like some good stuff in there!

Cheers,

Shane

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I'm especially looking forward to the following RVG's:

February 2004

Sweet Honey Bee / Duke Pearson

Goin' West / Grant Green

March 2004

Newk's Time / Sonny Rollins

Prayer Meeting / Jimmy Smith

Between May and August of 2004

Breaking Point / Freddie Hubbard

Home Cookin' / Jimmy Smith

Inner Urge / Joe Henderson

Buhaina's Delight / Art Blakey

Free For All / Art Blakey

Blue Spirits / Freddie Hubbard

Action / Jackie McLean

In 'N Out / Joe Henderson

Tender Moments / McCoy Tyner

Looks like Dexter Gordon and Joe Henderson are finally getting their due in this series!!! Although why Blue Note is reissuing "Destination Out" again is beyond me. It's a great album (one of my favorites, actually), but you can still find it as a Connoisseur, and it's part of Moncur's Mosaic Select.

Still, my wallet is gonna take a big hit in the next few months!!!

Cheers,

Shane

Hi All,

OK, someone please tell me.....

Where are "Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Midnight Special"??????

These are CLASSIC Blue Notes, and should've been included in the first releases of the RVG series.

Oh yeah, and sorry Soulstation... I don't see "The Gigolo" in there anywhere. Why is "The Sixth Sense" in that list? It went OOP very quickly after it was initially released.

Still... I like this list of releases!

Although isn't Ornette Coleman's "Love Call" now OOP? I was hoping it was rendered OOP so it could then be released in the RVG series, but so far I don't see it. Maybe next Fall?

Cheers,

Shane

To continue the "I'm too lazy..." concept from another thread. Here is the complete list as posted in Kevin's post over at AAJ:

February

Sweet Honey Bee / Duke Pearson

Ready For Freddie / Freddie Hubbard

At The Half Note Cafe Vol. 1& 2 / Donald Byrd (Double)

Rockin' The Boat / Jimmy Smith

Goin' West / Grant Green

Right Now / Jackie McLean

March

Newk's Time / Sonny Rollins

Never Let Me Go / Stanley Turrentine

The Cape Verdean Blues - Horace Silver

Free Form / Donald Byrd

Conquistador / Cecil Taylor

Prayer Meeting / Jimmy Smith *

* This was originally scheduled to be Breaking Point / Freddie Hubbard

The following titles are scheduled to come between May and August of 2004

Breaking Point / Freddie Hubbard

Dexter Calling / Dexter Gordon

Home Cookin' / Jimmy Smith

Inner Urge / Joe Henderson

The Sixth Sense / Lee Morgan

Destination Out / Jackie McLean

Buhaina's Delight / Art Blakey

Free For All / Art Blakey

Blue Spirits / Freddie Hubbard

The Thing To Do / Blue Mitchell

The Night Of The Cookers Vol. & 2/ Freddie Hubbard (Double)

Serenade To A Soul Sister - Horace Silver

Action / Jackie McLean

Andrew Hill / Black Fire

Doin' Allright / Dexter Gordon

One Flight Up / Dexter Gordon

In 'N Out / Joe Henderson

Tender Moments / McCoy Tyner

Edited by mgraham333

Im sure we could all pick titles that we would like to see included that are not there (personally my collection is begging for more Larry Young)- but I'm really looking forward to getting these titles, I havent got any of these & for those of us (relative) newbies on this is board this series is a cracking way of building a Blue Note collection.

Hi Gary,

I agree with you, this is a nice way to dive in to the Blue Note collection! And, it would be nice to see more Larry Young in the RVG!

And let's face it... I'm pretty sure just about every Blue Note title from the 1500 and 4000 series will EVENTUALLY be released in the RVG series. Hell, he's already done most of them for Toshiba!

It's just a matter of time... B)

I'm really looking forward to "Goin' West" and "Free For All"!!!

Cheers,

Shane

Hi Mike,

I've got "Rockin' the Boat" as a TOCJ, and it's a good one. It's not earth shattering in any way, just some standard good groove from Jimmy.

I believe he cut this as one of his last titles before he left Blue Note... and some of those titles have the feeling of "let's record a bunch, then get outta here". I think Alfred just wanted as much Jimmy Smith in the can as he could get, and that's what this session represents.

So, it's a good session, but certainly not up there with "Prayer Meetin'" or "Chicken Shack"... but I guess even average Jimmy Smith is still damn good in comparison to most others!!

Cheers,

Shane

Hi Gary,

I agree with you, this is a nice way to dive in to the Blue Note collection!  And, it would be nice to see more Larry Young in the RVG!

And let's face it... I'm pretty sure just about every Blue Note title from the 1500 and 4000 series will EVENTUALLY be released in the RVG series.  Hell, he's already done most of them for Toshiba!

It's just a matter of time...  B)

I'm really looking forward to "Goin' West" and "Free For All"!!!

Cheers,

Shane

Hi Shane ,

the titles that stand out for me are the Lee Morgan , Jackie McLean & Horace Silver (just the names alone are enough of a recomendation) .

But equally im looking forward to a couple of the titles from artist that i dont have anything by as a leader - Duke Pearson , Cecil Taylor & Blue Mitchell.

Hi Gary,

You're going to LOVE that Cecil Taylor session! It's one of my favorites! The McLean albums are also amazing.

Cheers,

Shane

i must admit Cecil Taylor is an artist I've been meaning to check out for the last couple of years - so maybe this will be the best place to start.

Some very nice titles on the lists; my wallet is going to take a beating next year. At least three possible Dexter sessions, finally BN is getting their act together. ;)

From what I've heard from folks about GOIN' WEST, that'll be my first purchase of these new ones. THE SIXTH SENSE kicks ass too (upgrade time)!

Some very nice titles on the lists; my wallet is going to take a beating next year. At least three possible Dexter sessions, finally BN is getting their act together. ;)

From what I've heard from folks about GOIN' WEST, that'll be my first purchase of these new ones. THE SIXTH SENSE kicks ass too (upgrade time)!

Sixth Sense? Guess I am happy with the "old" version. Will the new version have the extra tracks? I did notice that Home Cookin was also recently remastered with extra tracks.

I'm actually glad to see this series taking a pause on Mobley. While I would like to see an RVG of Hi Voltage, I appreciate that this series is branching out some. The big screw up (*), of course, is RVG-ing The Night of the Cookers instead of Here to Stay, which may very well be Freddie's finest moment on Blue Note.

* ;)

I wonder if Sam Rivers will ever get the RVG treatment? Now that Andrew Hill will have a title in this series other than Point of Departure, we can all start crossing our fingers for Contours. Can't we?