Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That old Supremes song "Someday We'll Be Together", the one with Bobby Womack's from-the-booth-to-the-singer-throiugh the-phones cajolations to Diana Ross captured and kept.

Damn, what a groove that sucker has. Easy to overlook since it was such a big hit and it is a Diana Ross minus the real Supremes puffjob and after all it is just a good Top 40 song from last century, but it's actually a pretty nice song. And besides...

DAMN, what a groove that sucker has.

Olk, now I'm reading on AMG that it's Johnny Bristol & that it wasn't from the booth at all. That's not waht I heard on some "nostalgia" show back in the day, but oh well. Still a great record, a great song, and a great groove. If I ever start playing seriously with a group of my own again, this one's getting played.

Von Freeman: "I Love You" from Lester Leaps In (Steeplechase) - Von Freeman wails!

and

Orchestra Baobab: "Coumba" - both takes - from The Legendary 1982 Session - Pirates Choice (World Circuit) - Wouldn't mind having this one as part of a soundtrack for my everyday life. I'd probably feel a lot less stressed.

Orchestra Baobab: "Coumba" - both takes - from The Legendary 1982 Session - Pirates Choice (World Circuit) - Wouldn't mind having this one as part of a soundtrack for my everyday life. I'd probably feel a lot less stressed.

I haven't played that CD for a while. I usually play the more recent reissue which has the two complete albums, but not the alternative takes (though there was room for them).

Much though I love "Coumba", I have a marginal preference for "Utru horas".

Some of my newies have got some blinders on them:

Concha Buika (well, you knew I was going to say that, didn't you) - "Volver volver", from her new one, "Nina de fuego".

Robbie Jansen - "Labourer's samba" from "The Cape doctor". Several more on this are queueing up to give me a stiff uppercut.

Balla & ses Balladins - "Wilikabo" from "The Syliphone years". This compilation is stuffed FULL of great cuts; another one was my pick last week :)

MG

MG

Been making a DVD for my son's sixth-grade class that gathers together pictures from Kindergarten all the way thru 6th-grade. So, I've been trying to find popular songs from each year to go along with the pictures, not an easy task I can tell you. But there have been a few gems:

"Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional. I like the guitars on this one.

"Someday" by the Strokes. Nice punky sound, good lyrics about yearning. Fit well with the whole theme of growing up.

"One Step at a Time" by Jordyn Sparks. I can't help it: this girl is cute, unpretentious, and I was so thrilled she won American Idol. This song is ridiculously catchy.

"Move Along" by the All-American Rejects. Again, cool beat, nice crunchy guitars, cool lyrics.

"Shadow of the Day" by Linkin Park. A drastic departure from their usual alt-metal Nickelback-inspiring glop. This has a nice breezy beat, ringing guitars, and lyrics that fit in perfectly with the whole "end of an era" feel we were going with on the DVD.

And finally, "Cool" by Gwen Stefani. Usually, Gwen bugs the hell outta me when she tries to do her retro-Madonna-circa-1985 schtick, but OH MY WORD does it work wonderfully here! Great beat, sickeningly saccharine synths (like a ultra-rich chocolate truffle), lyrics that fit (more or less) with the theme of friendship, this song worked real well over a montage of pictures of kids and their friends.

Edited by Big Al

The Backroom Bandits - You Don't Know What Love Is

R-556952-1171227466.jpeg

Actually Kurt elling's version from Flirting With Twilight, still keeping the same tempo & basic feel, just tightening up the beat to where it's more like a Jamal/Fournier type fall-into-a-deep-mellow-trance thing. Outstanding.

And I'm no "fan" of Elling's, but damn does he sound good here.

Edited by JSngry

"All Hail Kirby!" - Bobby Previte: Just Add Water

With Ray Anderson, Joseph Bowie, and Marty Ehrlich laying down a mean vamp and Bobby propelling an infectious groove, this song rocks -- I love it. This was my first Previte album and I'll certainly be giving it some repeated listens in our household.

"All Hail Kirby!" - Bobby Previte: Just Add Water

With Ray Anderson, Joseph Bowie, and Marty Ehrlich laying down a mean vamp and Bobby propelling an infectious groove, this song rocks -- I love it. This was my first Previte album and I'll certainly be giving it some repeated listens in our household.

There's another excellent version of this song under a different title (Anthem for Andrea) on Previte's Coalition of the Willing.

Jimmy Witherspoon: Ain't Nobody's Business" from Spoon So Easy (Chess)

Jimmy Witherspoon sings a fine vocal on his signature tune, backed by unknown musicians, including two tenor saxes (who do a back and forth sax break) and a guitarist (sounds to me like Robert Lockwood or Jody Williams, depending on when I listen) who plays some great jazzy blues guitar behind Spoon. One of those "perfect" blues records, like Jimmy Reed's "Honest I Do" or Bobby Bland's "Stormy Monday" - it can stand with both of those. It's amazing that it was recorded in 1956 and wasn't released for 34 years.

Jimmy Witherspoon: Ain't Nobody's Business" from Spoon So Easy (Chess)

Jimmy Witherspoon sings a fine vocal on his signature tune, backed by unknown musicians, including two tenor saxes (who do a back and forth sax break) and a guitarist (sounds to me like Robert Lockwood or Jody Williams, depending on when I listen) who plays some great jazzy blues guitar behind Spoon. One of those "perfect" blues records, like Jimmy Reed's "Honest I Do" or Bobby Bland's "Stormy Monday" - it can stand with both of those. It's amazing that it was recorded in 1956 and wasn't released for 34 years.

:tup

That whole Spoon So Easy album kills.

I was knocked out at breakfast this morning by

Kaloum Star - Maliba, from the Various Artists comp "Discotheque '74" Syliphone.

I rarely listen to compilations, but picked the '74 and '76 more or less at random this morning - eyes too gummed together still to see what I was getting off the African shelf :) But this stopped me mid-muesli! Hot rhythm! Wailing band! Great Guinean style guitar; hard bop trumpet; semi-avant alto solo! Phhoooooo!

MG

Miles Davis - Bag's Groove. Both takes

Been awhile since I have heard these, thanks to Jazzbo for reminding me to throw them on again.

Grateful Dead - Not Fade Away-Going Down The Road..-"Darkness Jam"-Not Fade Away. Road Trips #3 Yale Bowl 71

Never was a big Not Fade Away fan but this version blew me away.