(RIP) Clark Terry's health

flat5

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Clark Terry's wife Gwen has posted the latest news:

Clark is home! His primary care physician, Dr. Simmie Armstrong, arranged for him to have professional physical therapy for five days a week here at home, along with homecare visits from nurses three times a week. The amputation site on his left leg is healing, and the right one is completely well. He’s experiencing some pain, but other than that, he said, “It gets pretty tough sometimes, but I’m hanging on in there. And I’m thanking Big Prez (his nickname for God) for every day.”

He was talking on the phone with one of his friends who expressed how sorry he was that Clark had gone through so much – losing his legs and all. Clark responded, “Don’t worry, just keep pullingfor me.”

On one of his particularly challenging days, I asked what would help him to feel better. He said, “Love. All the love from you and everybody. It makes me feel like you all still need me.”

You can see how much you mean to him. Each message that you post, and all of your prayers, phone calls, cards, and visits have helped to give him the courage to “keep on keepin’ on.” We appreciate you all so very much, and we hope that you’ll stay in touch.

:tup

Clark Terry's wife Gwen has posted the latest news:

Clark is home! His primary care physician, Dr. Simmie Armstrong, arranged for him to have professional physical therapy for five days a week here at home, along with homecare visits from nurses three times a week. The amputation site on his left leg is healing, and the right one is completely well. He’s experiencing some pain, but other than that, he said, “It gets pretty tough sometimes, but I’m hanging on in there. And I’m thanking Big Prez (his nickname for God) for every day.”

He was talking on the phone with one of his friends who expressed how sorry he was that Clark had gone through so much – losing his legs and all. Clark responded, “Don’t worry, just keep pullingfor me.”

On one of his particularly challenging days, I asked what would help him to feel better. He said, “Love. All the love from you and everybody. It makes me feel like you all still need me.”

You can see how much you mean to him. Each message that you post, and all of your prayers, phone calls, cards, and visits have helped to give him the courage to “keep on keepin’ on.” We appreciate you all so very much, and we hope that you’ll stay in touch.

:tup

just want folks to know that the above was reported by Gwen Terry on March 19th.

• 2 weeks later...

Clark Terry Fundraising Event

As many of you know from reading Clark Terry's blog, in recent months, Clark has undergone many health challenges including amputation of both of his legs. The Jazz Foundation of America provides 'round the clock healthcare help and support.

To help defray these costs, some of Clark's musical friends will join in a "Fundraising Concert for Clark" which will include a special Skype appearance by Clark and Gwen Terry.

Monday, April 23, 2012 at 7pm

Saint Peter's Church

619 Lexington Avenue

New York, NY 10022

Suggested donation is $25 at the door or, if you cannot be there, you can send a donation. Checks should be written to Jazz Foundation of America with "Clark Terry account" in the memo line and mailed to the JFA at 322 W. 48th Street, New York, NY 10036. Mr. Terry, who turned 91 in December, has been a great ambassador for the music, appeared on over 900 recordings, and mentored numerous young musicians. Let's do something for this great human being who has given so many music lovers so much good music to enjoy.

Musicians confirmed to appear include:

Clifford Adams Jr., Carl Allen, Lisle Atkinson, Art Baron, Gene Bertoncini, Valerie Capers, Paquito D'Rivera, Ron Carter, Jimmy Cobb, Sylvia Cuenca, Dee Daniels, Bryan Davis, David Demsey, Lou Donaldson, Mark Elf, Essiet Essiet, Don Friedman, Greg Gisbert, Dave Glasser, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Winard Harper, Barry Harris, Louis Hayes, Jimmy Heath, Conrad Herwig, Jack Jeffers, Melba Joyce, Justin Kauflin, Stantawn Kendrick, Bob Kindred, Victor Lewis, Tony Lujan, Russell Malone, Sarah McLawler, Marcus McLaurine, Junior Mance, Mulgrew Miller, Shawnn Monteiro, Frank Owens, Jimmy Owens, Jeremy Pelt, Anne Phillips, Rufus Reid, Bill Saxton, Josh Shpak, Don Sickler, Norman Simmons, John Simon, Lew Soloff, Helen Sung and Frank Wess

For a complete biography on Clark Terry, visit his website at www.clarkterry.com

Clark Terry Fundraiser

April 23, 2012, 7pm

Saint Peter's Church

619 Lexington Avenue at 54th Street

New York, NY

"E" train to Lexington Avenue or "6" to 51st Street

212 935 2200

www.saintpeters.org/events

Donations:

Jazz Foundation of America with "Clark Terry account" in the memo line.

322 W. 48th Street

New York, NY 10036

(212) 245-3999

www.jazzfoundation.org

• 1 month later...

I will dare to share this email from Steve Voce, since it updates all the relevant donation info:

Last night I was able to have a 20 minute chat with Clark Terry who, as you will know, has had both his legs amputated.

What a fine example to us all he is! I have never seen such spirit and determination to overcome adversity. He sends his love to all his friends.

It is amazing that a 92 year old man is able to sustain the physical pain that he is suffering with such fortitude.

As you can imagine he has generated enormous medical bills and a particular expense, not covered by his insurance, is the

24 hour a day attention that he will require from professional carers.

I'm sure we'll all want to rally to a man who has given us such immeasurable pleasure throughout his career and who,

through selfless devotion to teaching young people, has made jazz a better place. Over the years Clark has quietly helped

anyone in trouble (I will never forget, for example, the care and devotion that Clark showed anonymously to Buck Clayton

during the last years of Buck's life).

People in the USA should look at Clark's web site (just type 'Clark Terry' into Google) where you can find how to donate whilst taking advantage of American tax laws.

People outside America can transfer contributions to

Clark Terry Special Account

Simmons First National Bank

501 South Main Street

Pine Bluff

AR 71601

U S A

Bank routing number is 08 2900432

Account number is 11-170-601

Phone number (001) 870-541-1000

Bank officer is Vice president Lulu Mitchell in case help is needed. Any other officer can help in case Ms Mitchell is not available.

If anyone wishes to send a cheque (check!) direct to Clark via his wife Gwen they can contact me for her address.

Steve Voce

thanks to EKE BBB and Steve Voce for their posts. and "AMEN" to everything that Steve said. i have been keeping up via Clark's website and the unbelievable strength and courage displayed by both Clark and Gwen. i, too, would encourage folks to make whatever donations they are comfortable with. i gave what i could and certainly wish it could have been more. i will donate again if i'm able to. i have loved Clark since the '60s when he first introduced me to a sake martini in NYC!!! LOL!! and he is so blessed to have an angel like Gwen by his side. she is beyond amazing.

• 2 years later...