Reuben Wilson

Soul Stream

O.k... Patton's gone. McDuff's gone. Shirley's gone. McGriff's had a stroke. Earland's gone. Groove's gone.

And that's all been fairly recent. So...who's really left of the REAL guys. You can you SEE. Well, Jimmy Smith of course. Not really at the top of his game this days. Who is at the TOP of their game. Dr. Lonnie Smith. O.k....we all know that one. But someone EVERYONE has forgotten. Is Reuben Wilson.

Reuben Wilson!!!!

People maybe don't think of him. His Blue Notes were made when he was still kind of learning, getting it together. You know. His Groove Merchant stuff is some real forgotten shit.

But have you ever SEEN that guy??? Lately??? He's about the best that 's out there. And here's why. He sits down at the organ and it's and instant groove that FEELS good. Everything sits right. You just don't hear that with younger guys. Lonnie can do it. I used to hear Patton do it. McGriff.

If you don't believe me. Go to the Hammond Grounds (just run a search). There's a streaming video on the home page of Reuben, Grant Green Jr. ...trio thing. And they groove.

I agree that Reuben has the groove and sometimes that's all you need. That said, I don't own many of his albums.

Without opening another can of worms (you remember that bout, Soul Stream?) I will say that for me he's in the league of Charles Earland. Can groove like a motherfucker, but once you've heard one record you've kind of heard them all.

I have his "Masters of the Groove" disc and it's nice but I don't play it as often as Sam Yahel's trio disc or some McDuff! :)

What I want to know is WHY ISN'T LEON SPENCER RECORDING?!?!?!? Now that dude is BAD!

And BTW, I keep harping on it and I'll say it again. Bill Heid is the real deal. He was taught IN PERSON by both Larry Young and Don Patterson. Now there's a connection!

Yeah, Leon Spencer is really a bad cat. But, having heard his work on Karl Denson's CD, I'm not sure he's what he once was. (But I'd love to find out!)

Anyway, check out the live video I mentioned above Jim. I think you'll enjoy it. And it might give you more props for Reuben. He's much better today than he ever was on his old recordings. Of course, he's not breaking new ground, but combining the groove and some nice Jimmy Smith stuff together with his own thing. It comes out pretty happening. More interesting than Earland in the right hand for sure.

But anyway, he's not talked about much. But like Lonnie Smith, is a much more complete player than his 60's stuff would lead you to believe. He's really improved over the years. AND he's got that thang!

Edited by Soul Stream

I like Reuben Wilson, but I don't think I've heard his recent stuff. I love "Love Bug" and "Blue Mode," and I've got a session he did with Grant Green Jr. that's really good, but I forgot the name. I don't rate him up there with the organ giants, but "Love Bug" really kicks. Great lineup.

I would have to say "don't" rate Reuben by his old LPs. For a guy who has been doing it a lifetime now, he can really make the B3 sing. Flash, ground-breaking...no. But in the pocket grooving, that feel-good-thing,.. he's GOT it DOOOWWWN.

Grooving the way Reuben does today may sound simple, but it ain't. Anyway check out...

www.b3groove.org

....this has a steaming 50 minute video of Reuben, Bernard Purdie and Grant Green Jr. playing live. Watch it, and THEN tell me what you think. ;)