Vijay Iyer

Clunky

CDUNIVERSE have this available for preordering but descibe it as a SACD only. Anyone know if this is correct. Iyer is a fantastic pianist however I am not prepared at present to by a SACD palyer just to hear this disc however good it might be. I can't find an "Artists House" web site to check any of this out.

Edited by Clunky

From Vijay's web: http://www.vijay-iyer.com/

THE VIJAY IYER QUARTET's new album Blood Sutra will be released on TUESDAY, OCTOBER 21 as a hybrid SACD on the Artists House label

From artist house's web: http://www.artistshousemusic.com/modules.p...showpage&pid=25

This is a SACD release. It includes a CD layer (it will play in a CD player), a SACD 5.1 Surround Sound mix, and a SACD stereo mix.

Yes, it plays in an ordinary CD player. Got an advance copy from Artists House last month. It seems to me in many ways an advance over Panoptic Modes. A new drummer, who somehow makes the complex time signatures & subdivisions sound a lot looser. Though it's very much a continuation of the previous album, there's more rock & pop in the music, including a nifty cover/rewrite of "Hey Joe" (with a new line written over it which strongly reminds me of The Inner Mounting Flame). It's initially a little less immediately in-yer-face than Panoptic Modes, in part because of the nicer, deep-set studio sound, but if anything it gets more intense as the album reaches its conclusion (the Hendrix cover is just before the end). A darn good disc all told: I was quite impressed.

I was in New York City and had the good fortune to go to Sweet Rhythm where the Vijay Iyer Quartet was playing, not being previously aware of his music. The music was quite powerful and immediately very impressive. I was able to see four sets over two nights and found this some of the freshest sounding music I've discovered in recent memory. I bought the new CD and it does play on a regular CD player.