Bruce's cancer condition Update

THIS IS THE LATEST UPDATE 7/28/08

Hi Everyone,

I have had my bone scan and CT scan tests, and the cancer has NOT spread. It is a localized problem and I have agreed to the cryotherapy procedure (very minimally invasive at best). Again, major surgery is out of the question. In two weeks my urologist takes a look at my bladder. Earliest procedure date is in September. Nothing else really needed until then other than insurance company approval.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your concern and support you have given me. It has helped me greatly in this life threatening condition.

BruceW

aka Vibeman27 :bwallace2:

Bruce,

Excellent news! The fact that it is localized means they can kill it.

Is a "cryotherapy procedure" the one like my Dad had? His treatment involved injecting these small little needles into the wall of the prostate that they irradiated. He was "radioactive" for about 6 weeks but the cancer was gone about 3 months later. That procedure worked great for my Dad.

Good luck with the procedure and let us know how it's going.

Kevin

Kevin, not quite the same. Cryotherapy is a process of "freezing" the cancer, thereby reducing the prostate and killing the cancer. It is then thawed and then frozen again, and then thawed once again. This process effectively "reduces" the cancer situation and most times "kills" the actual cancer. The process takes between 1-2 hours and done.

One must remember that it only takes one remote tiny microscopic cancer cell for cancer to arise again (over a long period of time albiet), but the freeze process can be done again thereby, greatly extending the period of one's life. This process takes only one week from the op table to finishing the recuperating and healing period. (some exceptions, but few). I think your dad had what they now call "inside out radiation" treatment. Glad your dad is well.

BruceW

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One must remember that it only takes one remote tiny microscopic cancer cell for cancer to arise again (over a long period of time albiet), but the freeze process can be done again thereby, greatly extending the period of one's life. This process takes only one week from the op table to finishing the recuperating and healing period. (some exceptions, but few). I think your dad had what they now call "inside out radiation" treatment. Glad your dad is well.

Good to hear that they're finding more & more ways to cure this. I figure if I can hang on long enough, they're going to invent some micromachine that will unclog my arteries. :)

BTW, Bruce, my Dad survived the prostate cancer and lived 4 or 5 cancer-free years. It never came back. Unfortunately, his heart didn't keep up with him and he died of a heart attack two years ago now.

Luckily (? :)), all of these things in my family history have put me and my brothers on high alert. Maybe our Dad wasn't done protecting us. I doubt any of us would have had our PSA checked unless this hadn't happened.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

ANOTHER UPDATE:

AUGUST 15

I last reported on the scans that I had. Both negative, both good news. I then, however, had to have the urologist examine my bladder. This exam turned out to be an additional exam the urologist does as an extra precaution his office does. The exam is called a Cystoscopy. In short, it is like having a sigmoidoscopy through the penis' ureathra. Enough said!! :excited:

Results: my bladder is clear. What a relief. I DO NOT recommend any of you guys getting in a position that would require you to have this examination. It is no fun!! But I am now clear and scheduled to have the Cryotherapy on Sep 23. It is expected on Sep 24th that I will be cancer free or at least as close to that as possible. There is still no cure for cancer but this would be awfully close and I should be back to a somewhat normal life in a few days after. <_<

Having said that, you will probably not hear from me again on this subject until after Sep 23 or 24th. Thanks for all your support.

Bruce W

Ah ... I've always wondered about this procedure. Not to get too specific or anything, but are there any pain killers involved? Can you ask for gas or anything? Anything at all????

Yeah you can ask! :excited:

Seriously, first they give you an anesthetic gel but it still depends on your pain tolerance level as to what you can feel. The doc does not knock you out because it only takes 5 minutes if you are clear. I would imagine if it got complicated, they would further anesthetize you. <_<

If you want "exact" details, you can email me or send message.

Edited by BruceW

Reminds me of when I was in the recovery room after the bone marrow donation procedure. I was kind of slow to recover from the spinal anesthesia but I had a somewhat full bladder. So the nurse had to catheterize me. Its really no problem if you still have spinal anesthesia in you. :crazy:

Too bad that's not an option if its only a five minute procedure otherwise.

Lucky you Dan,

Wasn't the catheter a smaller flexible tubing??

I honestly didn't pay that much attention, I just knew that something was being inserted where it ought not to be. :)

But I'm glad you're doing well, and I can at least identify with the idea of something being inserted there, if not actually the sensation. :g

ANOTHER UPDATE:

AUGUST 15

I last reported on the scans that I had. Both negative, both good news. I then, however, had to have the urologist examine my bladder. This exam turned out to be an additional exam the urologist does as an extra precaution his office does. The exam is called a Cystoscopy. In short, it is like having a sigmoidoscopy through the penis' ureathra. Enough said!! :excited:

Results: my bladder is clear. What a relief. I DO NOT recommend any of you guys getting in a position that would require you to have this examination. It is no fun!! But I am now clear and scheduled to have the Cryotherapy on Sep 23. It is expected on Sep 24th that I will be cancer free or at least as close to that as possible. There is still no cure for cancer but this would be awfully close and I should be back to a somewhat normal life in a few days after. <_<

Having said that, you will probably not hear from me again on this subject until after Sep 23 or 24th. Thanks for all your support.

Bruce W

Excellent news, Bruce! :g

I am profoundly happy for you.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Well hell, if that's what you got to do to get the good news (pause to squirm in seat)...

Damn, brain tumors taken out the nose and I think gall bladders can be yoinked out the belly button if you're a supermodel and don't want a scar. Wait, maybe that's thru the nose too. And then there's your procedure! Whew, here's to less adventurous healthy "regular" checkups at the doctor! :party:

Edited by Quincy

BTW, I read in the news recently where some study recommended discontinuing the PSA test (possibly for men of a certain age group) because it caused unnecessary stress (seriously) and I think possibly led to unnecessary treatments in some cases. I didn't pay that close attention to it, because it sounded like pure BS to me, but I'm going to guess the insurance industry had something to do with the study.

And, no need for further details on the bladder exam. I'm sure it's all done in a very careful manner ... heh-hem. :unsure:

Glad you're doing well. And don't forget to laugh! :excited:

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I am back and alive!! :rolleyes::excited:<_<:party::winky::cool:

I don't fake my happiness, I do not and did not take my surgery for granted. Too many cancer patients do not make it. I have been on post op for a week and am totally exhausted. Trying to gets lots of bed rest and medication for a few minor complications that come with this treatment. Hope to be posting regular in a few weeks. I do want to take this time to thank all of you again for your prayers and support. It meant a lot to me and helped me keep a good psychological base of thought during this ordeal.

Bruce :bwallace2: