Has A Blindfold Test Track Inspired a Purchase?

Dan Gould

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I received Richie Beirach's Snow Leopard after a nice track on a previous test:

c969197jpqa.jpg

Glad you liked that one, Mike!

Next I will get me the three CDs Beirach made with Mraz and Hübner for the German Act label ... very interesting, their takes on Bartok and Mompou. Maybe I will have the chance to play with a similar trio next year.

I don't get all the hoopla for Cal Tjader around here. The way they recorded him, he sounded like crap to me.

Any of you ever heard Victor Feldman play vibes. Now that cat could play some friggin vibes.

I really SOME but not most of Gary Burton's stuff.

Steve Nelson is virtuosic.

Bobby Hutcherson is another dud who everyone automatically proclaims to be the best just cuz he's often the first that comes to mind.

Among items I have purchased following Blindfold Tests:

- some Carlo Actis Dato albums after getting acquainted and enjoying his music on BFT 8 (thanks Jim Dye!),

- Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderley on Capitol whose collaboration I had not bothered to pay attention to until BFT 13 (thanks EKE BBB!)

Among items I have purchased following Blindfold Tests:

- some Carlo Actis Dato albums after getting acquainted and enjoying his music on BFT 8 (thanks Jim Dye!),

- Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderley on Capitol whose collaboration I had not bothered to pay attention to until BFT 13 (thanks EKE BBB!)

credit to Jim Dye from here as well

you will want to check out more of Ms. Wilson's output I should think.

Bobby Hutcherson is another dud who everyone automatically proclaims to be the best just cuz he's often the first that comes to mind.

:rolleyes:

This has to be one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on this or any other board.

I might not be so blunt about it, but...

Then again, I might be so blunt about it. ;)

I did and got 'Something Wonderful' because of Nancy and the musicians featured behind her (Ben Webster, Jack Marshall, Joe Comfort, Shelly Manne) and despite the scandalously short playing time (30 minutes 04 seconds).

Wish reissue producer Michael Cuscuna had included a second album there.

And this Made in the EU CD is Copy Controlled :excited:

The bastards!!!

I did and got 'Something Wonderful' because of Nancy and the musicians featured behind her (Ben Webster, Jack Marshall, Joe Comfort, Shelly Manne) and despite the scandalously short playing time (30 minutes 04 seconds).

Wish reissue producer Michael Cuscuna had included a second album there.

And this Made in the EU CD is Copy Controlled :excited:

The bastards!!!

another not very long, but great one recently released:

B00004T2RI.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't get all the hoopla for Cal Tjader around here. The way they recorded him, he sounded like crap to me.

Any of you ever heard Victor Feldman play vibes. Now that cat could play some friggin vibes.

Well, I dig both Tjader and Feldman - wish Feldman had recorded more often on vibes - but they're really in different bags (no pun intended).

Is there any particular "bad sounding" Tjader record you have in mind? I think he had a beautiful sound, which you get by comparing many different albums from all over his career. I agree there are some Fantasy LPs sounding below par.

As much as I enjoy Latino, the recording quality isn't always too good. On some tracks, the bongos are too loud. ("Too loud, man.") Then there's that damn Cuban flute, which is about the most shrill instrument I've ever heard!!!

But Cal's vibes, mmmmmm........ :wub:

Before your next Tjader purchase, consult me as afar as the appearance of piccolos is concerned. Until then, use your treble controls ... ;)

As much as I enjoy Latino, the recording quality isn't always too good. On some tracks, the bongos are too loud. ("Too loud, man.") Then there's that damn Cuban flute, which is about the most shrill instrument I've ever heard!!!

But Cal's vibes, mmmmmm........  :wub:

Before your next Tjader purchase, consult me as afar as the appearance of piccolos is concerned. Until then, use your treble controls ... ;)

B-)

This has to be one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on this or any other board.

Besides being a vibes player you are biased and probably have so few people to idolize on that instrument that to say anything against him is sacrilege. Everything he plays is mish-mash!!! Very few coherent ideas. He rushes like crazy. And I honestly don't consider him a great player. Often times he hits notes that just don't make sense. With him as with a other vibists like Terry Gibbs, it's all about acrobatics and showiness - never interesting harmonic ideas.

I've been very underimpressed by him.

The reason he comes to mind easily is because his name is mentioned so often since he was on so many damn recordings in the Blue Note/Fantasy era - not because he was necessarily amazing but he had connections and he could stir up a crowd with showmanship. And he was down with a lotta guys who were recording for BN, so he got the hot ticket there and made a name for himself in historical memory.

Edited by cannonball-addict

Often times he hits notes that just don't make sense. With him it's...never interesting harmonic ideas.

Surely you see the irony in this.

Yes of course, but there are notes that are hip that fit, and then there are notes that don't fit and consequently are not hip.

And I know .....<_<....spare me......there's no wrong notes in jazz.

:angry::angry:

Besides being a vibes player you are biased and probably have so few people to idolize on that instrument that to say anything against him is sacrilege. Everything he plays is mish-mash!!! Very few coherent ideas. He rushes like crazy. And I honestly don't consider him a great player. Often times he hits notes that just don't make sense. With him as with a other vibists like Terry Gibbs, it's all about acrobatics and showiness - never interesting harmonic ideas.

I've been very underimpressed by him.

The reason he comes to mind easily is because his name is mentioned so often since he was on so many damn recordings in the Blue Note/Fantasy era - not because he was necessarily amazing but he had connections and he could stir up a crowd with showmanship. And he was down with a lotta guys who were recording for BN, so he got the hot ticket there and made a name for himself in historical memory.

I'm a vibes player? That's news to me. :excited:

I found your comment to be ridiculous because not only do I find Hutch to be FULL of interesting ideas both musically and harmonically, but I also believe he's one of the most versatile jazz musicians of the last 40 years. In addition to leading his own groups, look at some of the people with whom he has recorded:

Al Grey

Billy Mitchell

Eric Dolphy

Jackie McLean

Prince Lasha/Sonny Simmons

Grant Green

Big John Patton

McCoy Tyner

Dexter Gordon

Gerald Wilson

Grachan Moncur III

Lee Morgan

Andrew Hill

Archie Shepp

Duke Pearson

...and that's just off the top of my head. If all these great musicians saw and heard something great in Hutch's music, don't you think he just might deserve a closer listen? For me, Hutch is rarely about acrobatics, if ever. Terry Gibbs? Hamp? Maybe....But Hutch? :blink:

And by the way, before you assume things about people and their biases, you may want to learn a little bit more about them. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...