Who is Bob Minster?

JSngry

You don't mean Bob Mintzer, do you??

Among other things, his AMG bio says he's "led a fine big band in New York since the mid-'80s."

No, the KNTU DJ repeatedly said Bob MINSTER. I know who Bob Mintzer is, DOH!

Maybe he is a NT alum. I mean, I'm not too hip to who's been at the school over the last 10-15 years or so.

While we're at it, he just played something with a trombone player on it named Fred Weezy. Anybody ever hear of him? I haven't.

The guy's shift lasts about another hour and a quarter or so. Ya' think some of y'all could listen in (all you need is Windows Media Player) and help me out? I feel like the jazz world is passing me by, and I sure don't like that! Maybe send him an e-mail to let him know you're listening in from all over the globe and that you're interested in all these new artists he's playing.

Edited by JSngry

No, I know who Fred Wesley is, this was Fred Weezy, the guy distinctly said so.

You know, the KNTU DJs have always been known for their deep knowledge of all eras of jazz, and their impeccable pronunciation of various names has become the stuff of legend, so I think we're getting some exposure to all new artists here.

It's a great time to be alive!

• 1 year later...

I thought I would revive this thread rather than start a new one.

Mintzer, who has a rather good sound, nice ideas, and great feel, never ceases to impress me (Of course, I ignore the fact that he is in an alleged jazz group that calls itself The Yellowjackets).

He made a really good record (well a number of good records) with his big band which has evolved considerably personnel-wise, since they began playing together in the early 80s. They don't do many gigs but when they do, they get ovations and the occaisonal Grammy nod - which says something (though not much these days ;) ).

His latest is on a Telarc subsidiary, MCG Jazz, meaning it was recorded live at Manchester Craftsmen's Guild here in my current home of Pittsburgh, PA. Unfortunately in a ploy to get people to buy this otherwise great recording, they added Kurt Elling to the mix (one of these "featuring" deals). bbmcg04.jpg

Needless to say, Kurt Elling....you get under my skin......in a bad way :angry: . Anyways, I have always liked Mintzer's harmonies. They are very unique as far as big band writing/arranging goes. A lot of his funk big band charts are fun to play (at least for lead alto and tenor players).

His record with Mike Brecker, Twin Tenors is HOT :tup:tup:tup:tup - they do two takes on Giant Steps trading the whole time. I'd like to know what Jim thinks of this record. Every tenor player has heard it by now - its been out a while. (Twin Tenors 1993 Novus 01241 63173-2). 1256296.jpeg

Cannonball-addict - I was at the Manchester Guild when that Mintzer album was recorded. It was my first exposure to Eling - I thought he was pretty good in the couple of numbers he did (remember, alcohol is served at the Guild shows), but not sure I'd want to listen to those performances in my living room. (The band itself was excellent, filled with great New York players.)

I only jumped into ths thread because of the Pittsburgh references. Not sure Dodo ever shopped at IKEA, or ran a marathon.