"Last of the Lions: Gerald Wilson"

ghost of miles

• 11 months later...

This past weekend we did a tribute show to bandleader Gerald Wilson, who turned 90 on Sept. 4. Focusing on his 1940s and 1960s big bands, it's now archived for online listening:

Last of the Lions: Gerald Wilson

When I saw 'past' I immediately thought---spelling notwithstanding--- I was about to read an obituary. Very glad that isn't the case. Gerald is one of the great writers, and has been for 60 years---from the days of Yard-dog Mazurka, et. al. His big band of the early 60s was a delight. I remember an interview where he got into his arranging MO, and as a composer myself I dug what he had to say. Also, I enjoy son Anthony's work---especially the duet with the late, great Nancy Lamott on P.S., I Love You (Nancy Lamott sings the lyrics of Johnny Mercer). He has a big band date also as leader, undoubtedly arranged by dad. I dug that, too. Edited by fasstrack

I was just listening to a Jimmy Witherspoon record where he was accompanied by a small group with Ben Webster on tenor and Gerald Wilson on trumpet. Wilson's very good. (I never tnk of him except as a composer/arranger/band leader.)

Gerald Wilson took the place of the more usual Jack Sheldon on trumpet on the Curtis Counce Group's January 6 1958 date when they recorded "So Nice", "Origin", "Bella Rosa", "Night in Tunisia", "La Rue" and "Carl's Blues".

I was just listening to a Jimmy Witherspoon record where he was accompanied by a small group with Ben Webster on tenor and Gerald Wilson on trumpet. Wilson's very good. (I never tnk of him except as a composer/arranger/band leader.)

Gerald Wilson took the place of the more usual Jack Sheldon on trumpet on the Curtis Counce Group's January 6 1958 date when they recorded "So Nice", "Origin", "Bella Rosa", "Night in Tunisia", "La Rue" and "Carl's Blues".

I think I have that record--will have to check it out again when I get home from work tonight.

I think I have that record--will have to check it out again when I get home from work tonight.

I have those tracks spread across two OJC/Contemporary albums: Carl's Blues and Sonority. You'd expect them all to be included on the recent Complete Studio Recordings: The Master Takes by Curtis Counce from Lonehill/Fresh Sound, but as is so often the case, some are omitted!

Edited by BillF

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...