Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serge Chaloff - Boston Blow-Up (Capitol original)

Art Blakey - Three Blind Mice (UA original)

- both a little scratchy but for $1 each at an estate sale, can't go wrong. Hopefully my Nitty Gritty record cleaner will help. Listening to the Chaloff now and it's pretty good with just a quick wipe with the felt cleaner and solution - few pops/clicks here and there but still enjoyable...

• 3 weeks later...

I found an LP by Emil Barnes with Doc Paulin's NOLA band for $2. The cover says Icon Records, but the LP label says Jazology. It looks to be from the early 60s and is in a Folkways-type cover, with a great photo. I haven't been a big new orleans listener over the years, but this music is so full of fun and life. It's infectious. Watching Treme' re-opened my ears to this stuff.

I found an LP by Emil Barnes with Doc Paulin's NOLA band for $2. The cover says Icon Records, but the LP label says Jazology. It looks to be from the early 60s and is in a Folkways-type cover, with a great photo. I haven't been a big new orleans listener over the years, but this music is so full of fun and life. It's infectious. Watching Treme' re-opened my ears to this stuff.

That's a great, raw record. It's got one of the only versions of "When the Saints" that I actually like listening to. Jazzology bought the session from Icon and used up all the leftover covers before printing their own. The Icon covers were really beautiful.

Gary McFarland Sextet POINT OF DEPARTURE (Impulse A-46)

I love finding records that I didn't know existed, and the lineup sounds as good as one might expect from the a lineup of this calibre:

McFarland: vibes

Willie Dennis: trombone

Richie Kamuca: tenor sax/oboe

Jimmy Raney: guitar

Steve Swallow: bass

Mel Lewis: drums

Let's see: ya got east coast, west coast, avant garde, Ellingtonia... sounds like a jam session train wreck potential right? WRONG!!! They sound like they've been playing forever! Glad I stumbled onto this one!

I love finding records that I didn't know existed, and the lineup sounds as good as one might expect from the a lineup of this calibre:

Let's see: ya got east coast, west coast, avant garde, Ellingtonia... sounds like a jam session train wreck potential right? WRONG!!! They sound like they've been playing forever! Glad I stumbled onto this one!

I agree, fine album, great line up.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to tell us which version of Jamal's 'Tranquility' you got:

the 1968 LP single-jacket with the close-up head shot of Ahmad on the cover (ABCS-660) --

or the easier-to-find reissue with a gatefold jacket on ABC/Impulse which came out in 1972.

In 1968, Jamal left Cadet and signed with ABC, who released 'Tranquility' (ABCS-660) as a POP ALBUM --

even though it was produced by Bob Thiele. It was four years later that ABC re-released 'Tranquility' as an Impluse jazz album with a gatefold (AS-9238). Back in '68, ABC execs thought they had a happening soul music roster featuring The Tams and The Impressions. (Really cool, dudes!)

I agree, fine album, great line up.

As a big Gary McFarland fan, I believe that this album overall does the best job of combining the jazz and pop aspects of McFarland's musical personality.