Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Don't tell Euclid about your spots...

Do you mean "Euclid records"?

That guy travelled down to Vancouver here a few years back to buy one of the best 50s/60s jazz collections around..it was a retired collector I'm friends with and I got to see the collection before it went...a near complete collection of original blue notes and prestiges amongst thousands of others. He sold it for $250,000 which seems really high and a good price for the collector, but it worked out to about $30 per album so given the high number of 3 to 4 figure albums in that collection it was a good deal for Euclid too!

Wow. Don't tell Euclid about your spots...

Hehehe... Found the Dorham in Atlanta, the Dolphy in Springfield. Funny story about the Dolphy, I took the record to the counter and watched the owner stare at the tag, then inspect the cover and record. I fully expected him to shelve the sale but he said something along the lines of "looks like _____ (prolly pricing guy) left off a zero. Not your fault, $40 it is."

• 2 months later...

Just got home from Princeton Record Exchange. I found the entire 49 lp run of the Duke Ellington DETS series in the $1.00 bins. Took 'em all home for $49 + tax!

These are the Treasury Shows right? What a steal. I'm only just starting to pick up the CD versions...

Right - now being reissued on CD. Their availability on cd made this buy more a luxury than a necessity, but I had sought the set on lp for years. It's nice to finally own it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John Eardley 'Hey There' Esquire 10" in not far off mint vinyl - 9 NZ dollars !! (£5)

Kenny Graham/Don Rendell "Tenorama" on Nixa/Lansdowne series for 29 dollars, again in great shape for a nearly 60 year old UK LP.

A nice haul of UK LPs located many thousands of miles from their origin !

Edited by sidewinder

Pharaoh Sanders - Tauhid, original pressing on Impulse, VG++ condition for $1.00

Non-jazz category:

Stones - Exile on Main Street, original, 4 sides with Artisan stamp, Monarch pressing, including all 12 postcards EX+ condition, $15.

. Nice score on tauhid. Someone must've not known that's a $30+ record at least.

• 2 weeks later...