Great Finds

desertblues

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2021 at 5:10 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

I see that I've weighed in on this thread before, but never followed up.  This is the same one as the Dial LP I have, and as I said back in April 2019, the vinyl -- despite being a 33 & 1/3rd, its as thick (and heavy) as almost any 78.

NOTE:  The cover really is orange, despite the "gray and white"-looking cover depicted in the first (main) image in this Discogs listing...

https://www.discogs.com/Arnold-Schoenberg-Kammersymphonie/release/6890731

s-l1600.jpg

Item arrived yesterday (Dial 4, green cover), and as you say, heavy as a rock, not just the vinyl, but the cardboard too. Really, the package felt like an order of 5-6 LPS, I was wondering what order I had forgotten, and then open it up, and it's JUST ONE RECORD!!!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, JSngry said:

Item arrived yesterday (Dial 4, green cover), and as you say, heavy as a rock, not just the vinyl, but the cardboard too. Really, the package felt like an order of 5-6 LPS, I was wondering what order I had forgotten, and then open it up, and it's JUST ONE RECORD!!!!!

Yup, it's shockingly heavy!! -- almost like it was pressed in some process (or equipment) more akin to 78's than 33 &1/3rd's.  I know practically nothing about the differences, but all I do know is that this Dial 2 (orangish-red cover) from my uncle seems in every way imaginable like a 78 -- other than it plays at 33.  Never seen anything like it, though admittedly my experience with vinyl isn't vast.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have a Bartok Records LP that is pretty thick, but not THIS thick (it's also the quietest vinyl I've ever gotten, including the OG German ECMs). Maybe a few early Columbia classical LPs (both 10" and 12") that are pretty thick but again, not THIS thick. That Ross Russell was a maniac!

I wonder if the thickness of these first LPs was designed to bolster the "non-breakable" claims. If I had a backup of this thing, I'd wager that it would be the one doing the breaking, not the other way around!

• 2 months later...

First car boot sale of 2021 yesterday, found a couple of decent (great might be a stretch) things:

Benny Carter - Jazz Giant (Vogue issue) for 50p (!)

Chet Baker - Swings Pretty, and George Wallington - Live at the Cafe Bohemia for £2 each 

Edited by rdavenport

• 2 months later...

"Great", I don't know about, but certainly unexpected finds today.

First, the weirdest one:

R-11129581-1510414191-5637.jpeg.jpg

R-11129581-1510414188-3205.jpeg.jpg

Teo Macero? Marty Manning? Do I smell a spoof? or a goof? Or just a write-off? Time will tell...

And then, some pre-fusion Jean Luc Ponty records, none of which have made it over to CD yet?

R-1063794-1612347033-2424.jpeg.jpg

R-1063794-1612347033-4204.jpeg.jpg

Oh, Gerald Wilson!

R-2728286-1570482361-4952.jpeg.jpg

OOPS! This one has been on CD, and in expanded form. I wasn't paying attention then.

R-3825567-1532948966-2486.jpeg.jpg

R-2892771-1466893261-2303.jpeg.jpg

MPS/BASF version with Unipak jacket. Made CD but once, and then only as a German release.

Definitely not a Pony fan over the long haul, but those earlier records with Humair & Louiss are TOTALLY badass, and of course there's King Kong (whatever...). So, at a few bucks a pop, worth a chance, I hope.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

And then, some pre-fusion Jean Luc Ponty records, none of which have made it over to CD yet?

R-1063794-1612347033-2424.jpeg.jpg

R-1063794-1612347033-4204.jpeg.jpg

Oh, Gerald Wilson!

I’ve got that Ponty/Gerald-Wilson date on CD, used from Euclid Records in STL (if the price sticker on the case ain’t lyin’ to me) — $8.99, fwiw — found it maybe 15 years ago.

Mine is a “One Way Records” deal, also says “Cema, Special Markets” — from 1993, made in Canada.

Edit: the miniaturized repro of the original liners makes the text look like it’s about in a 2.5 point font size.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Open Strings was reissued on Promising Music in Europe, which was licensing MPS titles for a short period.R-4556753-1368288607-9716.jpeg.jpg

Some of the Trio HLP music from this LP was not included on the Dreyfus 2 CD set. I bought a copy during a visit to London in 1983.

Neither "Cantaloupe Island" nor "3+2=1" from this LP appear on the Dreyfus release.

R-4747217-1374225832-6449.jpeg.jpg

I wonder if "Garters" Grady is a pseudonym for Dick Hyman? He made similar records as Knuckles O'Toole.

Edited by Ken Dryden

On 7/5/2021 at 11:48 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

I’ve got that Ponty/Gerald-Wilson date on CD, used from Euclid Records in STL (if the price sticker on the case ain’t lyin’ to me) — $8.99, fwiw — found it maybe 15 years ago.

Mine is a “One Way Records” deal, also says “Cema, Special Markets” — from 1993, made in Canada.

Edit: the miniaturized repro of the original liners makes the text look like it’s about in a 2.5 point font size.

My good friend Frank worked at One Way Records for several years. They were a legit reissue label when he was there.

Michael Cuscuna once told me that someone at Blue Note screwed up when they licensed Wayne Shorter's "Moto Grosso Feio" to One Way. I think they even tried to pull that back.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in half-price books yesterday. I rarely find anything special. This was different.
I found an original pressing of Fantastic Frank Strozier, his first leader date (Veejay)

w/ Booker Little, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. In very good condition. A steal @ $9.95

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 5 months later...

On 7/23/2021 at 6:24 PM, slide_advantage_redoux said:

I was in half-price books yesterday. I rarely find anything special. This was different.
I found an original pressing of Fantastic Frank Strozier, his first leader date (Veejay)

w/ Booker Little, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. In very good condition. A steal @ $9.95

That is indeed an excellent find!!!

I had quiet fun in the local well-curated little record store, run by a couple of young guys with good taste. An hour's worth of kneeling and bending produced this little grouping.

IMG_E0467[1]

envy you a bit for that Bechet record... last spring, I happened to walk into a really great record store, bought way too much, I thought (including most of my gaps in the Riverside New Orleans Living Legends Series), but also left quite a few records there that I really should have taken as well... including that Bechet album

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Quartette Tres Bien was an interesting group...still not sure how much (or if( I like them, but that's kinda neat in and of itself.

Found it in the "World Music' section. You never know what you'll see in the "World Music" stack, in any record store...unless you're in, say, Mogadishu. I wonder what they put in the World Music section there...

17 minutes ago, Niko said:

envy you a bit for that Bechet record... last spring, I happened to walk into a really great record store, bought way too much, I thought (including most of my gaps in the Riverside New Orleans Living Legends Series), but also left quite a few records there that I really should have taken as well... including that Bechet album

Yeah, it was a very clean japanese King pressing. I had to have it. $4.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:24 PM, slide_advantage_redoux said:

Nice! Have had many great finds there. Funniest story. I was at my favorite Half Price a few years ago, and noticed a copy of Miles (Blue Haze) on Prestige on their display wall, and once I asked to see it, it was a Fantasy reissue LP that they were asking for (bar code, used and all) a $100 (chuckled). So, I go through their jazz bins and find a very fine ++ (with full  gloss and sharp corners, no seem splits, no ring-wear, and really despite some writing on the back (probably the owner) was excellent)  of a Milt Jackson/Monk LP with the NYC address on it for $3.99 (and got it with a teachers discount;) I should really get a job there. 

I found a Jon Eardley Esquire 10” LP in the racks of a store in Auckland, New Zealand. About $20 with some sale discount additional to this, 30% I think. A very obscure pressing indeed, not only in the UK but more so in NZ. Blow me down but elsewhere in the racks there was another identical copy of this Esquire, around the same price !

• 9 months later...

This morning I went to the periodic record clearout sale at the #1 of our remaining local brick-and-mortar record stores again where everything was priced at 1 EUR per LP or CD (50c per 45) today ... (Seeing how crammed full the record wall in my music room is I should not have gone there but I guess most of you know how it is ... 😉)
I found a batch of vinyls , including some nice ones such as one of the Texas-Mexican Border Music anthology series on Folklyric (Norteno Accordion Vol. 2), Tiny Parham on RCA Black&White, the Harlem Stride Pianists anthology on RCA, Woody Herman's Big Band Goodies on Mercury (1965), and a couple of items I already have but am sure I can pass on to like minds, e.g Wynonie Harris on Route 66, Louis Jordan from the Decca period, et al.
The below 12" originals/early pressings also came my way, and at that price you can take chances even somewhat outside your core interests:

44680925tb.jpg

The Folkways anthology (Vol. 8 - Big Bands) has its booklet too. 

As for period originals, I had half hoped the'yd clear out some of their jazz EPs, but not so, though I did find a few nice ones (e.h. one of the Jimmy Giuffre Tangents in Jazz EPs and several Jazztone EPs).
But my habit of closer scrutinizing any stacks of 10-inchers that sat among the usual 12-inch items this time paid off handsomely. But that's for the next post ... 😃

Edited by Big Beat Steve

So ... I rummaged through the 10-inchers and lo and behold, hit several caches that seemed to have been waiting for me. (Of course I do have a good part of the music on more recent reissues and even some of these items but at that price you just cannot let this kind of items sit and go unnoticed. Better to pass them on to others later on ... ) :

44680969sx.jpg

44680970ht.jpg

Next, some of those semi-generic-cover German Brunswicks of the early 50s:

44681037ua.jpg

44681038ki.jpg

44681040ot.jpg

The above "Midnight in Munich" 10-incher (a sort of key record in recorded German jazz of the early 50s) was one I had paid fairly solid money for for a copy on international Polydor on eBay about 15-20 years ago. Such is life ... now I have two different pressings and covers ... )

Next ... 😉

(Click on pics to enlarge)

44681064pk.jpg

44681065vk.jpg

44681066ke.jpg

.. Cont'd ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

And then ...

44681746tp.jpg

And an amazing thing .... see the next four items:  I have no idea if all of these LPs came from one and the same collection but at any rate they must have taken in the collection of an Art Tatum diehard. FOUR 10-inchers in one load cannot be that current ...
Odd side note: By coincidence not all that long ago I bought original 2-EP sets (very clean and not overpriced either) of the above Benny Goodman Trio and Art Tatum Trio LPs on Capitol at the same shop. Now I have them in both formats ... 😄

44681830hs.jpg

44681914st.jpg

And to finish off, a few oddball items (that at that kind of money you just pick up for the fun of it or out of curiosity ...)

44681917ll.jpg

The condition overall? Some covers are rather battered (the US cardboard covers just cry out for seam splits, and these 10" cardboard covers at the time often seem to have been an even tighter squeeze around the vinyl than later 12" pressings, and the stitched German covers don't wear well either - and the browning tape residues from age-old repair attempts just are the pest! But who is one to complain at these prices?). I will have to do a lot of careful repairing of some of the cardboard covers, in particular (from the inside), and others are well worth that 1 EUR each just for the cover artwork. Amazingly the vinyls overall are fairly clean. VG+ in many cases, and even "VG" (which objectively speaking is an euphemism anyway) look like they play OK too. So far I did not see any with really feelable scratches, and most should respond well to cleaning. Seems like they all came from "well enjoyed but still cared for" previous owners' homes. 

Needless to say, I was pleased. 😉

Edited by Big Beat Steve

To close this off, maybe the item below is not a "great" find among my today's haul but I think is a find with a "great" and certainly somewhat funny PERIOD feel IMO.

Among the 45s there was a Les Brown 45 with a home-made cover (according to Discogs this one originally was sold in a generic Coral sleeve so maybe this explains that?).

44681944to.jpgThe lineup and tunes were written on the back of the sleeve, and according to these "Bernie's Tune" was coupled with a tune simply called "Hop".
Checking the label I noticed that something had been neatly taped over:

44681945vn.jpg

This made me curious and on checking my discographies I found the tune in question is called "ROCK'N'ROLL HOP"! 😄
Could it be that the owner of this record would not for the life of it have been caught playing "that no-good rock'n'roll jungle music"?? 😂
This tampering won't do anything to increase the "value" of the record but this record certainly DOES tell a story (of sorts). 

1 minute ago, Big Beat Steve said:

To close this off, maybe the item below is not a "great" find among my today's haul but I think is a find with a "great" and certainly somewhat funny PERIOD feel IMO.

Among the 45s there was a Les Brown 45 with a home-made cover (according to Discogs this one originally was sold in a generic Coral sleeve so maybe this explains that?).

44681944to.jpgThe lineup and tunes were written on the back of the sleeve, and according to these "Bernie's Tune" was coupled with a tune simply called "Hop".
Checking the label I noticed that something had been neatly taped over:

44681945vn.jpg

This made me curious and on checking my discographies I found the tune in question is called "ROCK'N'ROLL HOP"! 😄
Could it be that the owner of this record would not for the life of it have been caught playing "that no-good rock'n'roll jungle music"?? 😂
This tampering won't do anything to increase the "value" of the record but this record certainly DOES tell a story (of sorts). 

Lou Donaldson’s old copy?

31 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Lou Donaldson’s old copy?

Actually that "Rock'n'Roll Hop" is fairly tame, including compared to other 50s jazzmen jumping on the Honking R&B/R'n'R bandwagon such as Boots Brown (Shorty Rogers), Leroy Kirkland, George Wiliams, early Rusty Bryant, a.o.
It must have been the "name" itself. 🤨