Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOWARD RUMSEY's LIGHTHOUSE ALL-STARS

lighthouselp%20003ab.jpg

Howard Rumsey’s Lighthouse All-Stars Vol. 5 In The Solo Spotlight ( Contemporary C2515 ).

label.jpg

The record contained six tracks, all with typical titles: Howard, Claude, Bud, Coop, S & B and Stan; a great challenge to find out what the meaning is for these rather weird titles. Well, I guess, most of you will understand how these titles were born, if you learn that the musicians of this all-star group were: Howard Rumsey, leader and bass player, Bud Shank, alto saxophone; Bob Cooper tenor saxophone; Stan Levey drums; Claude Williamson piano; Stu Williamson trumpet and Bob Enevoldsen valve trombone. Mind that the subtitle is In The Solo Spotlight, so I hope the penny has dropped.

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-stars

Durium

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A long day's shopping in Cardiff today started by taking a long look through the second hand shop in the market. And I snagged this one, in perfick nick, for eight quid.

Buddy Tate - The Texas twister

410FKASQ6BL._SS500_.jpg

On the Master Jazz label, with a rather self-congratulatory sleeve note by the producer - someone called Bill Weilbacher (does he post here?).

It's a wow of a record, with Buddy singing on two cuts.

The local dealer must do a fair bit of research - found a CD of it (didn't know it had come out on CD) on Amazon.uk for one penny less than I paid - but I didn't have to pay postage.

MG

A long day's shopping in Cardiff today started by taking a long look through the second hand shop in the market. And I snagged this one, in perfick nick, for eight quid.

Buddy Tate - The Texas twister

410FKASQ6BL._SS500_.jpg

On the Master Jazz label, with a rather self-congratulatory sleeve note by the producer - someone called Bill Weilbacher (does he post here?).

It's a wow of a record, with Buddy singing on two cuts.

The local dealer must do a fair bit of research - found a CD of it (didn't know it had come out on CD) on Amazon.uk for one penny less than I paid - but I didn't have to pay postage.

MG

Nice find! Long way from me to Cardiff market, though! :(

• 3 weeks later...

I had been looking for that one for a long time

lb_glaive.jpeg

not for the Anthony Perkins vocal (even if I have to admit he is a rather decent singer) but for the two tracks by 'The Lou Bennett and Kenny Clark Jazz Combo' that were part of the soundtrack of the 1963 film 'Le Glaive et la Balance' (a bad one!). Yes that was how Klook's name was spelled on the back cover and labels of the EP!

The musicians on that Jazz Combo according to David Meeker 'Jazz in the Movies' book were Sonny Grey on trumpet, Sonny Criss on alto, Lou Bennett on organ and Kenny Clarke on drums. No personnel listed on the disc but this sounds right.

Had to pay all of €3 for this EP plus the original RCA EP 'Blues March for Europe No. 1' (with its black labels) from the Blakey's Jazz Messengers dates at the Club Saint-Germain!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Anthony Braxton--Recital Paris 71, Hommage a Johnny Hodges (Futura GER 23)

http://www.discogs.com/Anthony-Braxton-Recital-Paris-71/release/538578

I found this sealed, for $20. I'd never heard of it before. Any opinions? I hope to have time to listen tonight. The cover is terrific!

That is a great deal. I bought a copy of that LP about 15 years ago. This record features one of the strangest covers of any Braxton LP. I'm not sure if it is disrespectful or honorific. I choose not to form an opinion either way. It is a good listen.

My copy:

ab_paris_front_small.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, that's why I used the ambiguous word "terrific" to describe the cover. Maybe someone else has an idea of what that represents? Has Braxton ever commented on it in a publication that I might have overlooked? My impression is that it isn't disrespectful, but it certainly is strange. In some way racist? Not sure. Has this rabbit/boxer/cowboy symbol been used before for him in France? Wouldn't Braxton have had some input as to the cover art? I don't know much about the Futura label.

My impression is that it isn't disrespectful, but it certainly is strange. In some way racist? Not sure. Has this rabbit/boxer/cowboy symbol been used before for him in France?

I cannot recall if it was in the Lock, Radano, or Heffley book(s), but I remember reading that Braxton did not like this cover. I'm almost certain that he had no control over the "artwork."

Side 1 is a nice solo piece; Side 2 is the first recorded piano composition (Comp. 16, I recall). Enjoy the music. Braxton gives you his all here, as always. Let me know if you want to trade that new copy for a VG/VG+ copy (he he) :).

I've been meaning to post my all-time best find here - from a record-collecting standpoint, although the music is pretty amazing. A couple of years ago I was at a pretty sad record show in my hometown of Atlanta, looking through a set of boxes with records priced from one to fifteen bucks. I had to look two or three times at one record to convince myself that I was really holding A Fireside Chat With Lucifer by Sun Ra on the Saturn label. It was marked ten bucks, and he knocked a dollar off that price. I haven't checked lately, but at the time it was regularly selling for $250 and more on Ebay.

That is truly a great find. I found that album at the Music Exchange in Kansas City in the late 1980s, for about $35. That is the only copy I have ever seen.

I've been meaning to post my all-time best find here - from a record-collecting standpoint, although the music is pretty amazing. A couple of years ago I was at a pretty sad record show in my hometown of Atlanta, looking through a set of boxes with records priced from one to fifteen bucks. I had to look two or three times at one record to convince myself that I was really holding A Fireside Chat With Lucifer by Sun Ra on the Saturn label. It was marked ten bucks, and he knocked a dollar off that price. I haven't checked lately, but at the time it was regularly selling for $250 and more on Ebay.

That is truly a great find. I found that album at the Music Exchange in Kansas City in the late 1980s, for about $35. That is the only copy I have ever seen.

These might be the "sickest" finds ever. Period. Congrats, you two.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Ebay Craziness moment:

The Complete King Oliver set on Retrieval

Roland Kirk - Rip, Rig and Panic/Please Don't You Cry ...

Dave Douglas - Convergence

Zaum - Above Our Heads the Sky Splits Open

$32 shipped.

The guy has plenty more Buy It Now auctions in the $4-8 range, including several titles on HatArt.

OH MY GOD THIS "LATIN BIT" IN THE 10 DOLLAR BIN IS SO CLEAN ITS SO CLEAN. FOR THE 1st six seconds i was holding it, i thought it was a late 80s domestic lp reissue or an 80s Pathe Marconi reissue but at second number 7, i realized what it really was---

ok side 1 track 1 has this chunk that doesnt skip, but BUMPS, you hear a jolting BUMP in the vinyl for a few min. i didnt see anything on the vinyl, i have to look carefully now... but besided that its sooooooo clean omg jacket AND disc are Soooooooooooooooooo clean

dude, no--- i cant see ANYTHING wrong w/ the vinyl in the spot it happens, at the store they thught it was a bubble in the vinyl, i cant see i under close inspection- it just looks flat and clean to me...........

dude seriously, its the cleanest NY USA orig 1st press BN ive ever bought secondhand- so theres a bumpity bump on the end of track 1, its after the grant solo, its all good-