Anthony Braxton and Akiyoshi/Tabackin Mosaics up for pre-order

J.A.W.

We aren't all sitting on piles of money smoking weed like you lucky Dutch! I have to be careful about when I spend my dough.

Sheesh, here we go again... I'm fed up with these stupid prejudices, they stopped being funny a long time ago. Windmills, tulips and clogs next, probably.

And all Dutch drummers sounding like Johnny Engels...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't all sitting on piles of money smoking weed like you lucky Dutch! I have to be careful about when I spend my dough.

Sheesh, here we go again... I'm fed up with these stupid prejudices, they stopped being funny a long time ago. Windmills, tulips and clogs next, probably.

Correction: That should say, "I'm fed up with these stupid prejudices, they SHOULD HAVE stopped being funny a long time ago."

Well, it's kind of ridiculous to think that this would really be "running low" so quickly. It would be unprecedented for Mosaic - by a factor of 10 at least.

My thoughts exactly.

That's why I said "Is this even possible????" I didn't say, "I have proof that this set is running low, I believe this wholeheartedly, and so should you!" Just because something is available for pre-order but can't be shipped yet doesn't mean it can't sell out. That happens all the time with very popular products, concert tickets, ipods, etc. As has been stated, Braxton has a big, dedicated Braxton fan base, and this set has been perhaps more anticipated than any other previously issued Mosaic.

Like I said in post #13, how could it be running low when it wasn't even possible to pre-order the set until today??

Theoretically. . . thousands of persons could have called up and placed phone pre-orders. I know JETman and others here place orders BEFORE the pre-order option is available on the site by calling on the phone.

Theoretically. . . and of course it didn't happen. But it was a funny thought that I had when I saw on this thread it had been temporarily in the "Running Low" category. :)

Edited by jazzbo

I preordered both. Have no real idea what to expect with the Braxton set but I'm totally open to hearing this music. Should be a trip!

I have an idea what to expect (I have one of the lps) . . . but I ordered it anyway!

It's been some time since I've had a challenging "listening project". This should keep me busy well into next year. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I preordered both. Have no real idea what to expect with the Braxton set but I'm totally open to hearing this music. Should be a trip!

I have an idea what to expect (I have one of the lps) . . . but I ordered it anyway!

It's been some time since I've had a challenging "listening project". This should keep me busy well into next year. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I'm intending to order one for the same reason. Always good to confront ones prejudices.

Braxton swings. Period.

Not as a "style", but as a reality, a physically sensed/heard/felt quality of irresistable momentum in the service (often extrapolated out a dimension or two, but always present nevertheless) of the dance impulse.

Plenty of different ways to get there, but once you do, there you are. And you can't fake it or get rid of it.

Braxton swings. Period.

Braxton swings. Period.

Not as a "style", but as a reality, a physically sensed/heard/felt quality of irresistable momentum in the service (often extrapolated out a dimension or two, but always present nevertheless) of the dance impulse.

Plenty of different ways to get there, but once you do, there you are. And you can't fake it or get rid of it.

Braxton swings. Period.

one from the archives:

What do I think?

I think he's brilliant. Visionary, even. A bit "mad scientist" (even though there's really no "madness" -of either variety- about him, but I think you know what I mean) at times, but never so much that I've ever had to say, "Dude, sorry. That's just TOO freakin' nuts!" NEVER.

Some of his projects "work" for me better than others, and there's no way in hell that I've been able to keep up with his voluminous output (I guess that Lee Konits is his hero in THAT way too!), but he's on the short list of people I listen to unhesitatingly, and on the even shorter list of people whose "failures" I find more provoking than many, MANY people's "triumphs".

I remember in the 1970s, when a Braxton album came out it was a "must get" for many jazz lovers. He was a "jazz star", not to be confused with pop star. Everyone seemed to like his music. I don't understand all of the trepidation here. His 1970's music is not that weird or forbidding.

Side 1, Cut 3 of "Creative Orchestra Music 1976" is one of the most fun pieces of music I know.

I remember in the 1970s, when a Braxton album came out it was a "must get" for many jazz lovers. He was a "jazz star", not to be confused with pop star. Everyone seemed to like his music. I don't understand all of the trepidation here. His 1970's music is not that weird or forbidding.

Word, but remember, we're almost 30 years into the post-_______________ America and/or jazz scene, and things got.....turned around and have yet to get turned back around.

Ya' know what I'm sayin'?

Dang it.

I had no interest in this one. From following discussion of Braxton in the past I didn't think this would be my kind of thing. I watched the interview on the Mosaic site and listened to the clips.

This may be my kind of thing.....

Yeah, as someone who's only a part-time fan - much of his work is way over my head and doesn't at all "swing" for me - I think this is actually some of his most accessible music. It's not "easy" by any means, but it's easier (for me at least) than most Cecil Taylor. Haven't heard the 160-piece band stuff though...

This is the first Mosaic I've pre-ordered since the Jazztet set came out, and the Parlan set I bought last week was my first Mosaic purchase since pre-ordering the Jazztet.

I don't know if I've ever anticipated a Mosaic box this much before. I've never heard this material, but consider myself to be a fan of Braxton, and I'm looking forward to spending alot of time with this one.

I just don't understand the "easy music is good" mindset. From the beginning I viewed music as a "growth area" and have not changed my mind. This went from Elvis to Little Richard and from Armstrong to whatever. I guess I don't trust "easy music". Much of it is good but much is the worst aspect of "comfort food". If we stop growing and expanding our horizons, we are marking time 'til death. YMMV. I hate the fact I'm writing this about music over 30 years old. Guess this speaks to the giant cultural detour coinciding with the Reagan election. America can be deadly to brains.

I just don't understand the "easy music is good" mindset. From the beginning I viewed music as a "growth area" and have not changed my mind. This went from Elvis to Little Richard and from Armstrong to whatever. I guess I don't trust "easy music". Much of it is good but much is the worst aspect of "comfort food". If we stop growing and expanding our horizons, we are marking time 'til death. YMMV. I hate the fact I'm writing this about music over 30 years old. Guess this speaks to the giant cultural detour coinciding with the Reagan election. America can be deadly to brains.

True, but didn't Jimmy Carter give us disco? :cool:

I agree with this 100 percent. Well stated.

Anyone watch the "vodcasts", the video interviews? I laughed out loud when someone off-camera, during chapter 2 (The Arista Sessions), jokes that they will be cleaning up some of the music and adding a soul singer, when Braxton says he's fine with it as long as it's Toni Braxton!

If you're referring to my post and my use of the words "easy" and "easier," that had nothing to do with "good." I'm not sure how you're reading that into it. Everyone has their own tastes and levels of tolerance when it comes (especially) to the more "outside" stuff, and I was merely suggesting that Braxton's Arista years may be more accessible ("easier" if you will) to someone not familiar with Braxton and/or with more outside jazz in general. Whereas I might encourage anyone looking to hear Braxton for the first time to perhaps consider this Mosaic set, I wouldn't do the same, for example, with his GTM, which might drive a less daring listener away from him altogether.