"Star on Miles: the Return of Miles Davis"

ghost of miles

There's a version of "It Gets Better" from a Radio Nederland 'for broadcast only' selected radio recordings compilation called "North Sea Jazz Festival / The Hague Years." Killin. Had the chance to see Miles with a few thousand of his Detroit fans at the Masonic Temple just after his return to active playing. Miles was a showman extrodinaire at that stage just by being himself, though the frenzy he summond from Mino Cinelu that night -- he put Cinelu on the spot -- was showboating. Miles succumbed to being an entertainer if we're to believe that turning the back routine meant he never was.

• 1 year later...

We re-aired Star On Miles: The Return Of Miles Davis, the Night Lights program about Miles' early-1980s recordings, this past week; it remains archived for online listening. Lots of music from We Want Miles and Star People, plus tracks from Aura and Decoy, and a couple of broadcast sides as well.

Edited by ghost of miles

Remember seeing his 'comeback' performance at the London Hammersmith Odeon in 1982 when he hobbled onto the stage with the aid of a stick. First major performance in London since 1967 (at same venue, I think - not counting the one night at Ronnie Scotts).

He also played the Hammersmith Odeon in 1969, and then the Royal Festival Hall in 1971. I didn't realize he played London in 1967 - too bad it wasn't recorded.

Guy

Remember seeing his 'comeback' performance at the London Hammersmith Odeon in 1982 when he hobbled onto the stage with the aid of a stick. First major performance in London since 1967 (at same venue, I think - not counting the one night at Ronnie Scotts).

He also played the Hammersmith Odeon in 1969, and then the Royal Festival Hall in 1971. I didn't realize he played London in 1967 - too bad it wasn't recorded.

Guy

I was there at the 1967 concert. Miles played the first half of the concert and Archie Shepp ( with Jimmy Garrison, Beaver Harris, Roswell Rudd etc ) played the second half. About half the audience walked out when faced with what was then the 'New Thing' but the rest of us who stuck it out gave Shepp and Co a standing ovation for a riproaring set.

I was there at the 1967 concert. Miles played the first half of the concert and Archie Shepp ( with Jimmy Garrison, Beaver Harris, Roswell Rudd etc ) played the second half. About half the audience walked out when faced with what was then the 'New Thing' but the rest of us who stuck it out gave Shepp and Co a standing ovation for a riproaring set.

One of my 1967 Jazz Monthlies has the advert for that concert, which also included Archie Shepp as mentioned. I wasn't aware of the 1969 performance at Hammersmith Odeon.

Recall at that 1982 performance it was packed to capacity and there was a lot of anticipation for Miles' performance (I think I was in at the first show of the first night - sat towards the back). Remember a distant stooped figure with a stick and white cap. Mike Stern certainly raised a few eyebrows that night with his 'Eddie Van Halens'.

Edited by sidewinder