How are our board members doing in the fire

Hope everyone is ok!!!! Amazed at how very little media coverage this story has gotten overnight, as it sounds like as bad a fire as there has been in California, in decades.....Sounds like from what I read on a non jazz board that the story is very big in California of course...but Hurricanes get so much press upto, during and after the storm, so it isn't just a "local" story issue, IMO. I bet we will hear much today, hope the Santa Anna Winds die down!

I hope no one has been affected by this. My parents live in Claremont and everyone in their area was evacuated (the fire department apparently forgot their street, so they stayed). My father told me that no one he knew had their house burn down, but that some family friends' solar panels melted :blink: . My parents have important things packed into their cars, should the need to evacuate arise. Pretty scary stuff.

The company I work for has closed their offices in Simi and is sending all the work to us until further notice, as per their "disaster plan". It's a pretty major undertaking, not without some costs involved, and defintiely not meant to be implemented unless the need was real and immediate. So things must be REALLY scary out there right now.

Beat wishes and hopes to all with involvement in this matter, irregardless of the level of that involvement.

The fires aren't near me, but this is horrible. I hope they catch the scumbags who started these fires, if arson is indeed the case. 13 dead and 700 homes destroyed.

It reeks of smoke outside and to top it off it is unseasonably hot this year. Hellish conditions, let's hope firefighters are able to gain the upper hand.

I read that the one near San Diego was started by a lost hunter's flare.

Thanks for asking, Berigan!

We're doing fine where we are, but the smoke is pretty bad. We had to go out to the desert and Saturday and went through on the 15 Saturday afternoon and later that evening. It was pretty awful. There were two fires going on either side of the freeway. I think we were some of the last people to get through before they shut down the freeway.

We live near the mountains ourselves and I just hope nothing starts out by us. It was amazing how far down into civilization the San Bernadino fire was burning. We were really shocked by that as we went by.

I feel so sick for those affected. Please pray for us out here.

Thanks for asking everybody!

I live in San Diego and the fire got within 3-5 miles of my place. I live by a canyon so it was pretty scary, especially with 70's era construction, and all that entails (hmmm... as Blue Note Music goes, construction goes????). I've got over 2000 CD's and was looking at a big loss if anything happens to my house (yes, I have insurance, but that only goes so far).

Thankfully, the wind in my area was pretty much non-existent, and I do live closer to the coast, which stays cooler. The one break we got down here is that the winds did die down. The air's pretty disgusting, but hopefully we will get back to semi-normal by the end of the week.

As for the hunter who started this mess... :angry::angry: :angry:

But in the end, I'm glad to be alive. :) I don't live with my fiancee yet, so I knew I had a place to go, and friends to help out, and in the end that's more important than anything.

Thanks for starting this thread!

I just spoke with my father again and he said everyone in the evacuated areas of Claremont had been allowed to return home. He said he knew a couple people that had lost their homes, and expected that to rise. He did say, however, that the fires in Claremont had mostly died out. The only damage to his property, he said, was all the ash in the swimming pool. ;)

I hope the rest of you in SoCal make it out of this OK.

Wasn't part of the problem that some sort of invading bark beetles had killed millions of trees? Added to dry conditions and Santa Ana winds, this is a major disaster. I can't remember hearing about a worse fire outbreak in California, ever. My very, very best wishes to anyone and everyone who lives in Southern California.

:(

Glad to hear so far, so good!!!! :tup:tup:tup

I thought I should mention that Vibes parents had the right idea! Folks should have photo albums, important paperwork, a few OOP cds :w , in a few boxes to take at a moments notice, just in case the winds kick back up or some nut decides to be a copycat. Hell, just a cigarette out a car window could cause a new problem! Something else to mention, I saw that a couple tried to drive thru some fire in sporty car,(Or the fire found them as they were trying to escape) and didn't make it...perhaps having an escape route planned out, with as few trees overhead as possible isn't too crazy.....

Thank you for your thoughts.

It's the worst since the Berkeley/Oakland fire of 1991 that destroyed over 3000 homes & other buildings.

The air smells of smoke (especially yesterday), thick black clouds on the horizon, bizarre red sun in the morning.

It doesn't need to be a terrorist - this is what Santa Ana wind & fire season is like every few years. Last year was particularly mild, so more brush to burn this year.

Bebop I hope your girlfriend is able to save some of your music but you are absolutely right in telling her not to worry about it I hope she comes to understand that. I know people in that area and my thoughts are with them and I hope everything turns out ok. Everybody in that area please stay safe!!!

Hi All,

Thankfully, I don't live directly in the fire zones, but I'm damn close! We've been getting some serious acrid smoke and ash landing in our neighborhood... so much so that they decided to cancel classes this afternoon where I teach (Cal State Northridge). These fires are pretty nasty... some of them look like they are contained, but others are at only about 5% containment. All it takes is for the winds to shift, and the fires flare up all over again.

BTW, the sky around here has been amazing the past couple of days. A mixture of smoke, sun, and blue sky makes for some interesting images. It's beautiful, really... but it's hard to appreciate the beauty when you know that people are dying and homes are being lost.

I'm used to seeing forest fires (I grew up in the Rocky Mountains of Canada), but this is an altogether different type of fire storm for me... I just hope everyone gets through this OK.

Cheers,

Shane