Saxophonist Mark Turner: Send good wishes

Lazaro Vega

From Aaron Parks...

"Hello all,

I'm sure that everyone is awaiting the results of this monumentally important election. Hopefully it all goes well, and we will have the chance to begin some of the changes that this country so desperately needs.

I'm afraid I have some sobering news to share, though, about one of my friends, someone who is an inspiration to countless musicians, a true genius, and a beautiful spirit: Mark Turner.

A few minutes ago, I received a text message from Kurt Rosenwinkel informing me that Mark severely cut two of his fingers with a power saw, and is in the hospital awaiting surgery tomorrow morning. They will be trying to reattach nerves, tendons, and arteries. With luck, the surgery will be successful, and he will eventually regain the use of his injured fingers. It'll be no less than 6 months of rehab, though.

I asked Kurt whether I should keep it quiet or not, and he told me it would be okay to blog about it and get as much positive energy sent in Mark's direction as possible right now, especially until tomorrow's surgery is finished. So, everyone, please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers tonight, and tomorrow morning. My heart is hurting as I imagine the pain that they must be going through right now.

There's not much more I can say. I'm having a difficult time imagining what kind of silver lining can be found in a senseless accident of this kind. Let's just hope that everything heals, that his recovery is speedy, and that he'll soon regain full command of his instrument and will be once again creating those moments of transcendent musical beauty, in the way that he always so uniquely does."

A favorite Mark Turner moment... I saw him 10 years ago with Dave Douglas' pianoless quartet (think of the "Magic Triangle" material), subbing for Chris Potter. MUCH of the music was through-composed (maybe 25% of the whole concert, as a factor of length of time). And he was READING most of it, I'm guessing with maybe one pick-up rehearsal, or maybe having had the music only a day or two.

The concert was amazing, but I got back stage less than 3 minutes after it was over -- and Mark looked like an atom bomb had just gone off nearby, and he kept babbling "that music was SO hard, that music was SO hard). He did brilliantly, but I'm sure it was like trying to drink from a fire hose.

Very best wishes to Mark -- let's all keep him in our thoughts. Any address we can send cards and well wishes too??

Yikes! Poor guy! Why do people always seem to have problems with the body parts they use most often? I mean, if Turner lost a few toes it would be no big deal. Don't need toes to play sax. Hell, you don't even need feet!

A good friend of mine is a classical bassist with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. She's been suffering from Meniers disease for the last several years. She's been unable to hear out of one ear and has been suffering the worst dizziness and nausea. Suffice to say, she can't play when she's having an attack. Now the doctors say that they can treat the disease by bombarding the afflicted ear with antibiotics...but she'll lose her hearing in that ear perminently. And it may not solve the problem if it recurs in the other ear. Can you imagine? A woman who makes her living with her ears and she's in danger of losing them.

Anyway, I hope Turner's injuries aren't too serious and that he makes a full recovery. My wife had a boss who had a similar accident a few year's back. Now three of the fingers on his left hand are the same length, which is considerably shorter than they used to be...

i want to hear an update on this thread as soon as possible: i want to know what happened w/ mart turners surgery. thread starter: would you be so kind to re-inqure about the surigery? but as sad as i am at mark turner i am equally mad at him. what was he doing, making a bird-house or something? whatever he was doing, he should of been practicing. im sure john coltrane would agree with me

Latest news from Aaron Parks:

"Thursday, November 06, 2008

M.T. update

Hey everyone,

The show of support for Mark over the last few days has been incredible. Please keep the positivity flowing in.

A lot of people have been asking for an update, so I wanted to pass along the little bit of information that I know. The surgery was this morning, with one of the best hand surgeons in the country, and it apparently went as well as could be hoped for. It'll take some time to know whether the procedure will ultimately be successful in restoring the full use of his hand, but everyone is hoping for the best. Mark is, of course, inspiringly Zen about the whole thing, already accepting things however they turn out. We'll just have to wait: time will tell, I guess.

Many people have asked if there's a way they could help financially. I'll look into it to see if he's receptive to that kind of thing. Will let you know.

Thanks again for all the love you've shown towards him and his family..."

See:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=71196347

Edited by Lazaro Vega

i want to hear an update on this thread as soon as possible: i want to know what happened w/ mart turners surgery. thread starter: would you be so kind to re-inqure about the surigery? but as sad as i am at mark turner i am equally mad at him. what was he doing, making a bird-house or something? whatever he was doing, he should of been practicing. im sure john coltrane would agree with me

Yeah, Trane should have been practicing instead of dying. :rolleyes: