Louis Armstrong Mosaic planned with his 1935-1946 Decca sides

J.A.W.

I got into Pops through an Avakian-produced compilation of Armstrong's 1950s Columbia work, "16 Most Requested Songs," which included material from the W.C. Handy and Fats Waller etibute albums. About a month later, I received the "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" box set and well, nothing's been the same ever since! Can't go wrong,

Ricky

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Um, having no Armstrong in my collection is this where I should start?

Edit to add that I have heard the Columbia small groups but not in some time.

I heartily recommend this:

51D7ISpCe4L._SS500_.jpg

It's a four-disc set that I suspect is OOP, although Amazon has it for $67 and there are heaps of cheap 2nd-hand copies there, too.

It covers 23-34, so a selection of King Oliver, Hot 5s/7s and early big band stuff.

A third recommendation for this one, great booklet/notes too.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bixieland

The Armstrong has been shipped by Mosaic - just got the UPS email. :excited:

ME TOO!!!!! :excited::tup

This is the first time I pre-ordered a set. I'm excited to see how low my number is. I put the order in on the first day, I believe. I'm hoping for one in the double-digits (20s - 90s)...but I imagine the low 100s (100-300) -- which would still be awesome -- is more likely.

What's the lowest # anybody here has received? Any single digits?

What's the lowest # anybody here has received? Any single digits?

How about no number? I have the Nat King Cole set (still unopened) that's marked "Grieveson", or pre-number, since my friend the late Gord Grieveson (who supplied much of the material) supplied my copy. He got several copies as payment I suppose...

Got word that mine shipped today. Last Mosaic made to me in three days, so Saturday night will be ringing with that trumpet and growling with that voice. Can't wait. On the recommendation from this thread I picked up Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man and have been digging the hell out of it. I've had the Hot 5s/7s for years, but none of the other Columbias. It's going to be a summer of Satchel Mouth for me.

Guest Bixieland

I have a promo set as well with no numbers.

I don't have any with numbers lower than double digits, 27 is I think the lowest that I have. . . got that one through immediate preorder.

Well, I guess low 100s is probably the best I can expect for a set like this. Actually it's sitting right next to me, still in the UPS box! Can't open it 'til my birthday. <_<

tor. ture.

Guest Bixieland

Got word that mine shipped today. Last Mosaic made to me in three days, so Saturday night will be ringing with that trumpet and growling with that voice. Can't wait. On the recommendation from this thread I picked up Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man and have been digging the hell out of it. I've had the Hot 5s/7s for years, but none of the other Columbias. It's going to be a summer of Satchel Mouth for me.

I have a big hole in my Dipper Mouth collection...this set fills it in big time. I have a lot of early stuff and later stuff...missing a bunch of the primetime. Mine arrived today...but I'm going to stop reading this thread because I can't stand not being able to listen to it!!!!!!

Got mine today. #554!

Seems pretty high for something that was still in pre-order until a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I have a question. On disc 7, the third track is called "New Do You Call That a Buddy."

I was checking (for reference purposes only) against one of the PD labels, and they title it "Now, Do You Call That a Buddy," which frankly makes more sense.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Hi ejp. "Now Do You Call That a Buddy" was originally issued as "New Do You Call That a Buddy," which had to be a typo. It was a cover song to begin with and the original was clearly "Now Do You Call That a Buddy." Mosaic being Mosaic, they listed the original title, even with the mistake. If you want to know more about the song, check out a blog I did on it last November:

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2008/11/no...that-buddy.html

I still haven't received my set yet. How's the sound? By the way, I talked to Dan Morgenstern the other night about the famous Universal fire and he's under the impression that all the original metal parts emerged unscathed, it was just material on tape that was destroyed, though even he's not 100% sure what the damage is.

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Hi ejp. "Now Do You Call That a Buddy" was originally issued as "New Do You Call That a Buddy," which had to be a typo. It was a cover song to begin with and the original was clearly "Now Do You Call That a Buddy." Mosaic being Mosaic, they listed the original title, even with the mistake. If you want to know more about the song, check out a blog I did on it last November:

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2008/11/no...that-buddy.html

I still haven't received my set yet. How's the sound? By the way, I talked to Dan Morgenstern the other night about the famous Universal fire and he's under the impression that all the original metal parts emerged unscathed, it was just material on tape that was destroyed, though even he's not 100% sure what the damage is.

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

I only listened to disc 7, but it sounds fine (of course I am listening at work on headphones!). According to the booklet, nearly all of the source material did escape the fire (maybe stored elsewhere or on loan) with the exception of the last three sessions covering 1944-1946 (roughly the last 1/3 of disc 7). They note that this material comes from LPs and even CDR! , which has to be a first for Mosaic. They surmise that one alternate take may be gone forever. But otherwise, the vast majority of the 1930s/40s Decca material survived. Hope the same can be said for the 1950s Decca material!

Got mine this morning - #700 something - didn't order til the middle of last week. Maybe that means that Mosaic presold a bunch - good news for them.

It means that they've sold at least 700-something! Good news, indeed. Perhaps the cash flow that this set generates will allow Mosaic to restock some of the sets they currently have on back-order.

Edited by Ron S

Got mine this morning - #700 something - didn't order til the middle of last week. Maybe that means that Mosaic presold a bunch - good news for them.

It means that they've sold at least 700-something! Good news, indeed. Perhaps the cash flow that this set generates will allow Mosaic to restock some of the sets they currently have on back-order.

...and fund some of the sets they're planning :)