which Mosaic(s) should I get next??

VOTE FOR AS MANY AS YOU LIKE, that you think I ought to get...  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking to get two or three things from Mosaic between now and Christmas (maybe even by the end of THIS week).

What should I get???

Also, I am planning to get the Denny Zeitlin 'Select' -- and they say it'll be available in February. Somebody remind me -- does Mosaic do pre-orders??

If I called them now (or later this week) with an order for two or three things now, and also wanted to pre-order the Zeitlin (NOW), could they do that (and charge my card (now) for the whole deal), but then have them NOT send anything to me until the Zeitlin becomes available??

The push here is that I really want to get a Moncur 'Select' before they're gone for good (I think they'll only be available for another month or so, give or take). But I also want the Zeitlin, and I kinda don't want to wait another year or two to get it (probably it'd take that long before I'd want to put in another order).

You see, my usual Mosaic habit is to wait and put it a BIG order about once every two or three years, so I can combine shipping costs (and save some $$). I'm really cheap that way, what can I say. ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Where's the voting box for the Braxton set? :ph34r:

Seriously, I know you're a huge fan of Andrew Hill and Larry Young, and the Braxton Arista stuff really isn't all that much of a stretch... I honestly think you might like it!

(and the Moncur set is outstanding... don't miss that one)

The Braxton is too 'spensive to buy right now ($136, youch!). There's a good chance I'll get it eventually, though.

Not planning to miss the Moncur (see first post -- that's the whole reason for me ordering now). I've already got all of it on CD (except for that one "Hipnosis" date), but it'd be nice to have it all in one set. (Yeah, I know, the "Bout Soul" isn't complete on the Select.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yes, the Weston set is very strong. I enjoy more and more every time I listen to it.

Given your known love of good 70s jazz, I would certainly pick up the Hutcherson as well. There a lot of fantastic music on that one that is right up your alley.

If you generally like big bands, the Akiyoshi-Tabackin is also a no brainer.

Edited by John L

The Weston is wonderful. I've sort of fallen out of love with the music on the last disc, but the first two discs are as good as it gets. This Select probably won't be "around forever". . . .

I suggested the Hill for Rooster Ties because . . . Rooster Ties and Andrew Hill are always joined together in my memory!

This was an easy choice for me. I voted for the Tyner 3-CD select. It has by far the most original and innovative material, perhaps with the exception of the Randy Weston, which really isn't to my taste.

The only one of these I have not heard is the Akiyoshi/Tabackin. As for the rest:

The J.J.! outing is pretty boring, and I say that as a fan of Johnson. Art Farmer's date is pretty much your run of the mill hard bop session. You might enjoy it, you might not, but it is hardly irreplaceable. The Andrew Hill solo set is a snore-fest. The Hutcherson set captures his work at perhaps his least interesting period. The stuff he did earlier in the 70s and in the late 60s is way, way better.

There is something to be said for the Weston, but again, it's not as much to my liking as the Tyner.

I would say that if you get anything other than the Tyner or, secondarily, the Weston, you will be wasting your money. Just my .02.

• 2 weeks later...

Up for a few more votes. Probably gonna put in my order this week.

New info -- I'm about 80% sure I'm gonna order the big ol' Braxton set :excited: (though, youch!! -- $$$!!), so that'll reduce the number of Selects I might have otherwise gotten.

And as much as I'd like to get the Tyner, I've just looked at the details of the set -- and found that I already have all but a touch less than 45 minutes of this set (all on CD too, no less).

So, I'm not sure that 44 minutes is worth $44 to me.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, so if I look at the "shipping costs" angle of this (which is usually where I try to cost-justify the moon! -- in order to save a few dollars on shipping :g ) -- I can get just the Moncur, Braxton, and the Farmer (single) for slightly less than $200 (plus $14 shipping) -- or $209 total.

BUT, if I get EVERYTHING I really want NOW (which would also include the Hill, Hutcherson, Weston, and the Zeitlin (pre-order) -- that would amount to about $175 MORE than just getting the Moncur, Braxton and Farmer.

And, (here's where I cost-justify the moon), I'd only pay $2 more in shipping if I got one HUGE order NOW, as opposed to breaking it all up into two orders -- thus saving me $12 in unnecessary shipping costs (i.e. $16 now for everything, vs. $14 now plus $14 later -- assuming I'm going to buy all this stuff eventually anyway).

But that makes for one damn big order (almost $400). Youch.

Decisions, decisions.... :unsure:

PS: My history with Mosaic is that I'll put off ordering things from them -- sometime for years and YEARS -- until something I want is about to go out of print (or something I REALLY want comes into print). Then I'll buy EVERYTHING they currently have at that time that I think I'll EVER want -- resulting in orders from them that are usually $300 or $400 each. I think the last time I ordered from them I got something like one big box, four selects, plus like 8 Conns (they had some kind of special on Conns then, like they were only $12 each for every $50 you spent on actual Mosaic stuff -- or something like that). It was a HUGE order, something like $400+ easily.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

So, I'm not sure that 44 minutes is worth $44 to me.

It depends on which 44 minutes we're talking about. :)

Damn you, you know my weaknesses :P

This order is getting stupidly big enough as it is, without me suddenly seriously thinking about the Tyner set too (which I am now, thanks, Dan :rolleyes: ). But if you must know....

DISC ONE

6. Planet X (B) 7:37

7. Vibration Blues (C1) 8:43

DISC TWO

1. Song For My Lady (C2) 7:32

2. Cosmos (C2) 9:00

3. Shaken, But Not Forsaken (C2) 11:44

Is this worth $44?? Anybody can chime in... :w

Edited by Rooster_Ties

(Edit to say that I voted for Tyner and Akiyoshi/Tabackin)

Oh cripes, I had almost convinced myself to wait on the Toshiko for a few more years.

If I get the Tyner and Toshiko TOO -- I'm think I'd be up to about $475 (I think that includes shipping). That's just crazy. :blink:

Anybody know what Mosaic's margin would be on about $460?? Can I somehow justify this as trying to help keep them in business??

Edited by Rooster_Ties