BFT #61

Durium

Gotta say, though, that "I like the reharmonization, but find the soloing quite pedestrian" sums up how I feel about a lot of both Evans & Guaraldi, allowing for a tad of conversational color & such.

But they are very good choices for when the wife tells you to put on some dinner music for the guests to enjoy. Although I almost always go with the MJQ 'Last Concert' or the solo Kenny Barron set 'Spiral' in those cases.

I try Turrentine's Salt Song first and then see if it evolves or devolves from there...

Funny story though, kinda. I was over for dinner to a friend's house a while back, great cook, even greater bassist, and I brought along the MJQ's Space, you know, the one on Apple that gets a little trippy on Side One. Well, ok, I put it on. The guests are all musicians, some (too many, I'd say now, with the passage of time...) tragically hip, and sure enough this one guy starts mocking, "Oh great, we get invited over to eat, then here comes the goddamned MODERN...JAZZ...QUARTET. Now we're at a freakin' DINNER PARTY!"

Well, we get into that Side One (which is where all the trippy stuff happens), & I shoot this guy a look and a raised eyebrow. He catches the gesture and says, "Hey, we're still at a freakin' dinner party. But it's a pretty hip dinner party, at least for now".

We both shared a laugh, did a line or two, and went out and shot pistols in the air at random intervals to celebrate our unbridled virility and unfathomably superior taste. A passerby or two might have gotten winged, but a life without surprises and random dangers is not worth living, right?

Well, it seems as if we have reached the dessert in our BFT # 61 dinner party - a hip dinner party I hope. I still expect some guesses, but I think I need to drop some hints for the unidentified tracks. Mind you can earn some extra points for that. Well I'll select the unidentified tracks and come back later .........................

Keep swinging

Durium

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOME HINTS ..... BFT #61

Something Old Something New - Keep (it) Swinging

Track 5.

The musician is Hamilton De Holanda. This name was already identified by Snoozer. The tune he's playing is a Samba originally composed by a well known Brazilian composer.

Track 8.

The tenor sax player passed away a half year ago aged in his 90s.

Track 9.

I saw this band in the 1980s at a major Dutch jazz festival. The members of the band aren't Europeans nor North Americans nor Asians ...... and they surprised by playing the traditional New Orleans music in a way as if they were born near to the source of this music ...... :bwallace:

Track 12.

This music was used in a film, but .......... in the film only a few fragments were used.

The complete recordings were later used in a great documentary ...................

Track 13

The drummer and the saxophone player have won their spurs in the Dutch jazz scene, although they are both from a different generation. Both are fascinated by the music of the composer of this tune.

Track 14

An almost forgotten rather unknown Dutch jazz piano player, who passed away three years ago, and made some great music ...........

Track 15

This US trumpet player lives in Germany now. I heard him playing last year with this great Dutch saxophone player.

Track 16

I've memorized it several times. These "twobones" are really fascinated by Jay and Kai.

I bought its album, because iI was fascinated by trombones of course, but also because of the piano player, I heard once in concert: an Italian giant on the keys !!

Track 17

Last year I visited numerous concerts , but I cancelled one, because it was my fifth in one weekend ..................... now I can tear my hair, ( what is left), because that concert happened to be one of its last with this personnel .......

Track 19.

Well, a very small tune with a large title.............

Keep Swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Gotta say, though, that "I like the reharmonization, but find the soloing quite pedestrian" sums up how I feel about a lot of both Evans & Guaraldi, allowing for a tad of conversational color & such.

I agree with you Jim, though nobody is trying to deify Guaraldi the way they do with Evans.

As for the dinner party, I'm not allowed to choose the music anymore. Even when I choose rock stuff for a party, I get accused of playing it too loud. However, the last time I programmed a "jazz dinner party" set, I went heavy on the Dick Griffin (Now Is The Time and The Eighth Wonder) and Pharoah Sanders (Journey To The One), carefully selecting the non-wild stuff. Evidently, my opinion of what constitutes that description differs greatly from the rest of the free world.

Edited by Thom Keith

I am a little late getting to this and I only have a partial response right now:

1. Ensemble plus vocal playing in a historical jazz style that I do not have much exposure to. Fun upbeat performance with solid solos from trombone, trumpet and clarinet. The clarinetist’s (possibly sax) solo almost hinted at a modern player. Fun track but I have no clues on identification.

2. I am fairly certain that the alto saxophonist is Frank Morgan, but I am unable to locate a recording that this brief performance would have appeared on. I have always found his sound very appealing.

3. Short performance of “Django” by a guitar-bass-drums ensemble. Kind of a country/hillbilly guitar sound. I have no idea who the musicians are. Kind of interesting, but not something I would likely seek out for further investigation.

4. Nice performance by a piano trio. There are some familiarities in the pianist, but not enough for me to make an identification

5. Guitarist has an obvious amount of technique, but the track as a whole did not really move me.

6. Solo guitar (or is it a banjo?) performance.

7. Swinging violin and guitar feature. I know there are not a plethora of jazz violinists in the history of the music, but my familiarity with them is limited to a few modern performers. Pleasant – I am sure I should appreciate it more. I think my limited exposure negatively impacts my enjoyment.

I will post more as I find time to listen.

I am a little late getting to this and I only have a partial response right now:

1. Ensemble plus vocal playing in a historical jazz style that I do not have much exposure to. Fun upbeat performance with solid solos from trombone, trumpet and clarinet. The clarinetist’s (possibly sax) solo almost hinted at a modern player. Fun track but I have no clues on identification.

2. I am fairly certain that the alto saxophonist is Frank Morgan, but I am unable to locate a recording that this brief performance would have appeared on. I have always found his sound very appealing.

3. Short performance of “Django” by a guitar-bass-drums ensemble. Kind of a country/hillbilly guitar sound. I have no idea who the musicians are. Kind of interesting, but not something I would likely seek out for further investigation.

4. Nice performance by a piano trio. There are some familiarities in the pianist, but not enough for me to make an identification

5. Guitarist has an obvious amount of technique, but the track as a whole did not really move me.

7. Swinging violin and guitar feature. I know there are not a plethora of jazz violinists in the history of the music, but my familiarity with them is limited to a few modern performers. Pleasant – I am sure I should appreciate it more. I think my limited exposure negatively impacts my enjoyment.

I will post more as I find time to listen.

Thanks Relyles for your first post ............... Let's have a look. Most tracks you discuss have been identified allready, but that's not important. Let's see what you have to say :blink:

Something Old something New, remember !! That's the theme of this compilation. A classic (Waller) theme as played by a band, that normally plays in the free jazz style. Nate already identificated this band, which made a complete album dedicated to Fats Waller.

You're correct. I was able to hear him at one of his last concerts. A great man with, indeed, a great sound. Sidewinder identified him .....

This almost unknown and forgotten Norwegian guitar player, nick named The Django of the North, deserves to be put in the spot lights. Thanks Snoozer for identifying him.

Uke !!

This violin player passed away a year ago, almost forgotten .................... Georg L. told me his story.

Thanks so-far Relyles - you're invited to send me more suggestions ................

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

11: Nice swing-to-boogie version of a familiar tune. The stomping closing peroration is the best thing, & it shows that the bassist & drums aren't really needed! There's a wrong note near the end & I like how the pianist makes it sound "right" through the next phrase.

12: "Solitude" for 2 basses. A little too lazybones for me--I mean, it's hard not to like this, but it's not making me jump out of my seat either, and the business-like piano just seems to be trying to avoid getting in the way. Hm.... the clarinettist sounds familiar, maybe Michael Moore judging from the tone, though I wouldn't expect some of those top notes from him.

13: Vaguely Monkish tune on some familiar changes. The drummer sounds familiar, can't place him, I don't think I know the others. This style of alto sax definitely sounds European, it's not fashionable in the U.S., more like a Dutch sound. This sounds "different" without maybe being all that idiosyncratic. I liked it--the pianist actually did something with the Monkisms rather than just quoting them or toying with them knowingly--without its really hitting me hard.

14: Bud Powell tune, I think. I must confess that I like this style of slightly "off" piano--the touch having that poking-the-keys flavour, the notes a little cracked, the lines dragging a little behind the beat--much more than the flavourless in-control sound of most contemporary jazz piano. Probably an older guy but recorded fairly recently. It's not exceptional--I don't get the sense of a cumulative building in tension between choruses, it just seems to amble along, & there's no "spillover" in energy from chorus to chorus (everything seems to be cut off every two or four bars)--but nice to hear nonetheless. No idea who it is--sounds like whoever it is ought to be picked up by the Smalls guys, if he/she hasn't been already.

15: A familiar but not overplayed standard (I forget the title, though the flavour suggests it's Adair/Dennis; is it "Will You Still Be Mine?" Whatever....). Not crazy about this one for some reason.... I like the pianist most just because he keeps surprising me & because he sounds like he's pushing himself the hardest. The tenor is one of those players who just sounds like he's turning on a tap. No idea who anyone is here.

16: A tromboney "Our Love Is Here to Stay". Amusing to hear someone's voice after that II-V passage on the head! (I initially thought one of the musicians, but turns out this is live.) I initially thought this would be painfully cute/cozy but the double tbn solo at the start really has its own knotty intensity, & while, yeah, the pianist does seem to be trying to tickle the crowd's fancy, that's fine, I like the glisses & pranks. Olde-style bowed bass solo, surely an older guy? Only Ari Roland plays bass like that now (& he's not as good). Yeah, this is nice, I liked the feeling, which is good-humoured but not two-dimensional or lazy.

17: OK, a very fast "Evidence" done by some cool hands. The pianist starts out SO minimalistically, with all those pauses & the homeopathic doses of left hand chords, that you just know he's waiting to eat up the keyboard..... This is impressive enough but, in terms of music, I dunno, just seems to me one of those tracks where everything seems in the right place, but it's a kind of playfulness that doesn't invite me to come & play--it's jazz as self-enclosed playground.

18: Good, got the vocals out of the way.... Sounds like Susanna McCorkle with less sense of pitch. The pianist is a little..... bouncy.

19: Thanks!

11: Nice swing-to-boogie version of a familiar tune. The stomping closing peroration is the best thing, & it shows that the bassist & drums aren't really needed! There's a wrong note near the end & I like how the pianist makes it sound "right" through the next phrase.

12: "Solitude" for 2 basses. A little too lazybones for me--I mean, it's hard not to like this, but it's not making me jump out of my seat either, and the business-like piano just seems to be trying to avoid getting in the way. Hm.... the clarinettist sounds familiar, maybe Michael Moore judging from the tone, though I wouldn't expect some of those top notes from him.

13: Vaguely Monkish tune on some familiar changes. The drummer sounds familiar, can't place him, I don't think I know the others. This style of alto sax definitely sounds European, it's not fashionable in the U.S., more like a Dutch sound. This sounds "different" without maybe being all that idiosyncratic. I liked it--the pianist actually did something with the Monkisms rather than just quoting them or toying with them knowingly--without its really hitting me hard.

14: Bud Powell tune, I think. I must confess that I like this style of slightly "off" piano--the touch having that poking-the-keys flavour, the notes a little cracked, the lines dragging a little behind the beat--much more than the flavourless in-control sound of most contemporary jazz piano. Probably an older guy but recorded fairly recently. It's not exceptional--I don't get the sense of a cumulative building in tension between choruses, it just seems to amble along, & there's no "spillover" in energy from chorus to chorus (everything seems to be cut off every two or four bars)--but nice to hear nonetheless. No idea who it is--sounds like whoever it is ought to be picked up by the Smalls guys, if he/she hasn't been already.

15: A familiar but not overplayed standard (I forget the title, though the flavour suggests it's Adair/Dennis; is it "Will You Still Be Mine?" Whatever....). Not crazy about this one for some reason.... I like the pianist most just because he keeps surprising me & because he sounds like he's pushing himself the hardest. The tenor is one of those players who just sounds like he's turning on a tap. No idea who anyone is here.

16: A tromboney "Our Love Is Here to Stay". Amusing to hear someone's voice after that II-V passage on the head! (I initially thought one of the musicians, but turns out this is live.) I initially thought this would be painfully cute/cozy but the double tbn solo at the start really has its own knotty intensity, & while, yeah, the pianist does seem to be trying to tickle the crowd's fancy, that's fine, I like the glisses & pranks. Olde-style bowed bass solo, surely an older guy? Only Ari Roland plays bass like that now (& he's not as good). Yeah, this is nice, I liked the feeling, which is good-humoured but not two-dimensional or lazy.

17: OK, a very fast "Evidence" done by some cool hands. The pianist starts out SO minimalistically, with all those pauses & the homeopathic doses of left hand chords, that you just know he's waiting to eat up the keyboard..... This is impressive enough but, in terms of music, I dunno, just seems to me one of those tracks where everything seems in the right place, but it's a kind of playfulness that doesn't invite me to come & play--it's jazz as self-enclosed playground.

18: Good, got the vocals out of the way.... Sounds like Susanna McCorkle with less sense of pitch. The pianist is a little..... bouncy.

Thanks Nate for the last part of your first impressions. Let's have a look ....................

Sure, he is a giant on the keus !!

This Solitude for two basses is played in a film ( I gave that suggestion yesterday) at the end after a long evening and night playing music in a club, so .............. that's why it sounds too lazybones ........

There are a lot of wise words ........ Both the drummer as the saxophone player have won their spurs in the Dutch jazz scene, although they are both from a different generation. , I suggested yesterday. So that limits the numbers of candidates for this job :blink:Both are fascinated by the music of the composer of this tune. , I wrote. The album is dedicated to the music of Monk, that's correct, but only one track was composed by a Dutch piano player ........... who, well, let's help you all, played in Eric Dolphy's last session .......... <_<

No, it's not a Monk or Powell composition, but the piano man's own ...... which don't exclude that he listened to these compositions. I don't expect that you will know his name, as he passed away three years ago, rather unknown to most of us.

I heard the tenor and trumpet player last year ........ a great concert !! The tune is titled With a Song In My Heart ..........

Good to learn that you like that track - Sure, it's a live recordings. I told before I bought this one because of the piano man, I heard him in concert with Bert Joris in 2000 and 2007. The bass player, with the great bowed solo, was described in the liner notes as "The Best Trombone Player of this band is to be heard on bass". He started his musical career on trombone, fascinated by both Jay and Kai. Now he is a sought after cello and bass player living both in the States and Europe.

This band belongs to the best Europe had last year. .......

But ............... unfortunally, after a weekend of concerts, I missed this one - now it's impossible to listen to the piano player anymore and enjoy his minimalistic playing. :mellow:

No, it isn't Susanne McCorkle. Snoozer already identified her as the English vocalist Heather Simmons

A small tune with a large title ....

Thanks Nate, for your suggestions. Have look what others suggested and read my hints I posted yesterday ...............

Keep swinging

Durium

Ah well, with those hints... :) Mengelberg (unusually straightahead playing for him, actually)

13. Sure, the composer is Misha Mengelberg and the title is Kneebus. Well - another hint .......... as we still don't know any names of the musicians. De drummer man also played in the the Last Session and the saxophone player actually was born in ... England, but lives his whole life in The Netherlands.

Ah well, with those hints... :) est, obviously. I saw Svensson a few years back (about 2000?, Toronto jazzfest), it was nice in an it's-okay-just-not-my-thing style of expertly calibrated jazz.

Sure, EST. Great! I'll give you the details.

17. (2:40)

EST PLAYS MONK

Esbjörn Svensson Trio

Esbjörn Svensson p - Dan Berglund b - Magnus Öström dm

Evidence ( Monk)

Recorded January 1996

612nTU9Tx-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

During the last decade this Swedish band, named the Esbjörn Svensson Trio, better known as EST or E.S.T. belonged to the most wanted jazz bands in Europe. They made music that was liked by the younger generations and colud almost described as pop-music, although they used a lot of funky jazz and fushion elemants in their music. I found this album, titled EST PLAYS MONK, made more then 10 years ago, which learns that they were still playing in a way close to the jazz tradition.

In May 2008 this band performed at The International Jazz Festival in Middelburg and because it would have become my fifth concert that weekend I skipped EST and Maceo Parker to join its concerts. A few weeks later the pianist and leader

Esbjörn Svensson dies in a scuba diving accident on the 14th of June 2008.

Thanks Nate for ithe identification of track 17. I posted some more hints a few days ago. Please use it .......

Keep swinging

Durium

Here is my next installment:

8. Nothing remotely cutting edge or obviously advanced about this track - it simply manages to generate a relaxed good vibe. I have no idea regarding any of the personnel, but I especially enjoyed the tenor saxophonist’s brief statement

9. Apparently a historical performance. This is one of those things that I have had limited exposure and as a result limited appreciation of.

10. Has a sort of jungle feel to it. At least I do recognize this as “Salt Peanuts” played by a larger ensemble. I can’t completely get into that chug-a-lug guitar rhythm. The soloists were all effective within this feel. Ultimately this is not something I would be moved to listen to often.

11. A compilation like this just reminds me how much music I have not heard in my 21 years of listening to jazz. So many gaps, and not enough time to fill them. This sounds like a pianist I should be familiar with. Very strong technique.

12. I am going to want to listen to that bass again. Simple, but played with a terrific sound and feeling. Very effective. The brief clarinet spot did not really add anything – could have been a bass solo all the way through and I would have been more than satisfied.

13. This is easily one easily one of my favorite tracks on the disc. Great solo by the pianist. The alto sounds very familiar. The first thought I had was someone like Benjamin Herman, but I can’t commit. I could listen to more of this.

14. This is definitely a swinging piano trio. I am sitting in my office tapping my foot. Another highly enjoyable track for me. The pianist sounds familiar, but I have no idea on the identity of the muicians.

15. I feel like I have heard this just recently. Yes, I should know who this is. Whoever it is, I like it. Bread and butter hard bop. Can’t go wrong. The trumpeter actually sounds like someone modern – like Roy Hargrove or someone of that generation. I a useless.

Here is my next installment:

8. Nothing remotely cutting edge or obviously advanced about this track - it simply manages to generate a relaxed good vibe. I have no idea regarding any of the personnel, but I especially enjoyed the tenor saxophonist’s brief statement

9. Apparently a historical performance. This is one of those things that I have had limited exposure and as a result limited appreciation of.

10. Has a sort of jungle feel to it. At least I do recognize this as “Salt Peanuts” played by a larger ensemble. I can’t completely get into that chug-a-lug guitar rhythm. The soloists were all effective within this feel. Ultimately this is not something I would be moved to listen to often.

11. A compilation like this just reminds me how much music I have not heard in my 21 years of listening to jazz. So many gaps, and not enough time to fill them. This sounds like a pianist I should be familiar with. Very strong technique.

12. I am going to want to listen to that bass again. Simple, but played with a terrific sound and feeling. Very effective. The brief clarinet spot did not really add anything – could have been a bass solo all the way through and I would have been more than satisfied.

13. This is easily one easily one of my favorite tracks on the disc. Great solo by the pianist. The alto sounds very familiar. The first thought I had was someone like Benjamin Herman, but I can’t commit. I could listen to more of this.

14. This is definitely a swinging piano trio. I am sitting in my office tapping my foot. Another highly enjoyable track for me. The pianist sounds familiar, but I have no idea on the identity of the muicians.

15. I feel like I have heard this just recently. Yes, I should know who this is. Whoever it is, I like it. Bread and butter hard bop. Can’t go wrong. The trumpeter actually sounds like someone modern – like Roy Hargrove or someone of that generation. I a useless.

Thanks Relyles for your second part: Let's have a look.

The tenor saxophone player has already been identified by MG as Franz Jackson. Still love to know the title and / or the others.

No, it's not a historical recordings, if you mean that it was recorded in the 1920s or 30s. It's from the mid 1980s.

Salt Peanuts is correct. Stereojack identified the band already as the French Anachronic Jazz Band

One or two bass players? One was already identificated as Ron Carter. But who's the other and for which film this track was recorded?

You're correct: it's Benjamin Herman on alto saxophone. The tune has already been identified as a Misha Mengelberg composition, but he's not the piano player. The drummer name shouldn't be difficult as I have suggested that he was also at the Eric Dolphy last date.

As Roy Hargrove is one of my favorites too ( he plays in our jazz club once a year ) it could have been, but he's not in this selection.

Thanks so far.

Keep swinging

Durium

My last installment:

16. Relaxed performance featuring two sympathetic trombones. The relaxed vibe is maintained by all the soloists. None of the individual statements are particularly noteworthy, but as a whole this is a pleasant performance.

17. A Monk tune. Got a little distracted, but once the performance got past the head, it was nothing like Monk. A lot of technique – impressive even. I think I will have to come back to this one.

18. I like the pianist immediately. Good swing and flow of ideas. I also thought the bowed solo was a nice touch. The vocalist did not really do it for me.

My last installment:

16. Relaxed performance featuring two sympathetic trombones. The relaxed vibe is maintained by all the soloists. None of the individual statements are particularly noteworthy, but as a whole this is a pleasant performance.

17. A Monk tune. Got a little distracted, but once the performance got past the head, it was nothing like Monk. A lot of technique – impressive even. I think I will have to come back to this one.

18. I like the pianist immediately. Good swing and flow of ideas. I also thought the bowed solo was a nice touch. The vocalist did not really do it for me.

Thanks Relyles for your last set of comments:

You're right - it's a pleasant performance.

17. A Monk tune. Got a little distracted, but once the performance got past the head, it was nothing like Monk. A lot of technique – impressive even. I think I will have to come back to this one

This band has already been identified by Nate. It's a pity that it has stopped now.

Heather has found some great accompanists, I agree. Snoozer identified the vocalist as Heather Simmons

Keep Swinging

Durium

Thanks a lot for sharing this compilation, durium!

I'm afraid my reactions in general weren't that positive. I usually like my jazz a bit more challenging, more on the modern side (like the Monk track, or like other projects from Aki Takase, though her Fats Waller project is nice as well!)

Anyway, I hope you're not offended by my comments, tastes are different, I guess, and that's how it should be!

#1 - That's Aki Takase and her Fats Waller band, right? Eugene Chadbourne singing, Nils Wogram doing the great trombone solo... Thomas Heberer, Rudi Mahall (rather constrained here), and Paul Lovens on the swinging drums... the opening cut of the CD, "Lookin' Good But Feelin' Bad" - good opener, though of course it's a dubious retro thing... I enjoy this particular band, though (and I also liked Takase's W.C. Handy project, which used Fred Frith instead of Chadbourne, I think).

#2 - Short, nice - no clue who it could be.

#3 - Harp? No, guitar, but in the intro it almost sounds like harp to my ears... what's that tune, ah "Django" by John Lewis! Love the song, not sure if I find this a good version though... rather easy listening-like, I'm afraid. Gets better once the gypsy swing settles in. But I prefer such music on acoustic guitar, also the bass is a bit too much (soundwise that is, blame the engineer...)

#4 - The tune sounds familiar... from Ahmad Jamal? But this isn't him, right? Not bad, but a bit too much on the easy side again, tinkling along... hm, or is it him? There are some sings, but I'd not rate this as a first-class performance though I love his trio with Crosby/Fournier (which I suspect this is whom we hear here, then?)

#5 - Not quite my cup of tea, I'm afraid. And again the sound of this recording I quite don't like.

#6 - This one though starts out somewhat charming, I confess! And it keeps it going to the end, nice one.

#7 - Not a violin sound I particularly enjoy. Is this "Sweet Sue"? The tunes continue to be over before I start getting into them really.

#8 - Another charmer here! Lovely tenor sound, fat and old-fashioned, with a nice muted trumpet. I don't venture a guess though, except that I assume this is another retro band thing?

#9 - This sounds more authentic for a change, good one.

#10 - "Salt Peanuts", another retro crew doing it dixieland style. Good idea, but not really my cup of tea. Or well, maybe after all it may be more of a novelty, rather than a good idea?

#11 - "Sheik of Araby", weird presentation of the theme, but not bad I find!

#12 - "Solitude" by twin bassists, nice! This is also nicely recorded, none of that dreadful sound here! Not so sure about the clarinet...

#13 - This isn't half bad, in fact the piano and later the alto are quite good, but the rhythm is too much retro again for my tastes... don't like the sound much, once again.

#14 - Another bop tune, this time executed in fitting fashion... this is nice, but still as most of the music on this disc so far, it's a bit too smooth for my taste... very tastefully done and all, but it doesn't really connect to me all that much.

#15 - This tune sounds again familiar but I can't put a name to it... nice one.

#16 - "Our Love Is Here to Stay" by twin trombones, smooth, lovely!

#17 - A Monk tune, but as usual I can't name it... doing Monk covers is extremely difficult, and I'm afraid I don't approve of this attempt here... it's not all bad, but it doesn't do Monk justice I think. It gets as it goes on though! In fact it gets quite good! Who's this guy, not by any chance Misha Mengelberg? I start liking this as it goes on!

#18 - Another retro two-beat accompaniment... the singer's voice is too high/light for my taste, but she's pretty ok. And with violin again present, this starts a wrapping up process, I guess, returning to the beggining?

#19 - Ha! good one!

I'm afraid my reactions in general weren't that positive. I usually like my jazz a bit more challenging, more on the modern side (like the Monk track, or like other projects from Aki Takase, though her Fats Waller project is nice as well!)

Anyway, I hope you're not offended by my comments, tastes are different, I guess, and that's how it should be!

#1 - That's Aki Takase and her Fats Waller band, right? Eugene Chadbourne singing, Nils Wogram doing the great trombone solo... Thomas Heberer, Rudi Mahall (rather constrained here), and Paul Lovens on the swinging drums... the opening cut of the CD, "Lookin' Good But Feelin' Bad" - good opener, though of course it's a dubious retro thing... I enjoy this particular band, though (and I also liked Takase's W.C. Handy project, which used Fred Frith instead of Chadbourne, I think).

#2 - Short, nice - no clue who it could be.

#3 - Harp? No, guitar, but in the intro it almost sounds like harp to my ears... what's that tune, ah "Django" by John Lewis! Love the song, not sure if I find this a good version though... rather easy listening-like, I'm afraid. Gets better once the gypsy swing settles in. But I prefer such music on acoustic guitar, also the bass is a bit too much (soundwise that is, blame the engineer...)

#4 - The tune sounds familiar... from Ahmad Jamal? But this isn't him, right? Not bad, but a bit too much on the easy side again, tinkling along... hm, or is it him? There are some sings, but I'd not rate this as a first-class performance though I love his trio with Crosby/Fournier (which I suspect this is whom we hear here, then?)

#5 - Not quite my cup of tea, I'm afraid. And again the sound of this recording I quite don't like.

#6 - This one though starts out somewhat charming, I confess! And it keeps it going to the end, nice one.

#7 - Not a violin sound I particularly enjoy. Is this "Sweet Sue"? The tunes continue to be over before I start getting into them really.

#8 - Another charmer here! Lovely tenor sound, fat and old-fashioned, with a nice muted trumpet. I don't venture a guess though, except that I assume this is another retro band thing?

#10 - "Salt Peanuts", another retro crew doing it dixieland style. Good idea, but not really my cup of tea. Or well, maybe after all it may be more of a novelty, rather than a good idea?

Thanks King Ubu for your comments. Of course - tastes are different - if not we would all like the pop songs on MTV, (didn't we?), so fire away ...................

takase3.jpg

Of course, Kijg Ubu, this is Aki Takase. Hope to see hear in concert once.

I loved to introduce you to this unknown Norwegian guitar player who made a lot of nice recordings on his electric (!) guitar. He was identified by Snoozer as Robert Normann.

sete03.jpg

Today I listened to the Ahmad Jamal Chess album Ahmad's Blues - whow great - especially tunes like Cheek to Cheek. You're correct - it isn't Jamal. The guitar player and piano player have already been identified by MG as Bola Sete and Vince Guaraldi.

This tune was written by Oscar Alemán, who will be commmorated this year beause he was born 100 years ago. Snoozer gave us a lot of info about the player: Ton Van Bergeyk.

No, this is A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody with Leo Slab, a French violin player from the scene around Django Reinhardt, who passed away last year.

Great to learn that you like it - most peoples fed up with the bass guitar. The tenor player is already identified as Franz Jackson, but the man who plays the muted trumpet is still unknown ( for you - not for me :excited: )

Thanks - I hardly can 't wait to tell you who these plaers are.

sure, it's a very good idea to play bebop in dixieland style ... an anachronism pur sang. There was one band in the 1970s who did do it: The Anachronic Jazz Band

Well, let's have a break. The rest will follow soon.

Keep swinging

Durium

#11 - "Sheik of Araby", weird presentation of the theme, but not bad I find!

#12 - "Solitude" by twin bassists, nice! This is also nicely recorded, none of that dreadful sound here! Not so sure about the clarinet...

#13 - This isn't half bad, in fact the piano and later the alto are quite good, but the rhythm is too much retro again for my tastes... don't like the sound much, once again.

#14 - Another bop tune, this time executed in fitting fashion... this is nice, but still as most of the music on this disc so far, it's a bit too smooth for my taste... very tastefully done and all, but it doesn't really connect to me all that much.

#15 - This tune sounds again familiar but I can't put a name to it... nice one.

#16 - "Our Love Is Here to Stay" by twin trombones, smooth, lovely!

#17 - A Monk tune, but as usual I can't name it... doing Monk covers is extremely difficult, and I'm afraid I don't approve of this attempt here... it's not all bad, but it doesn't do Monk justice I think. It gets as it goes on though! In fact it gets quite good! Who's this guy, not by any chance Misha Mengelberg? I start liking this as it goes on!

#18 - Another retro two-beat accompaniment... the singer's voice is too high/light for my taste, but she's pretty ok. And with violin again present, this starts a wrapping up process, I guess, returning to the beggining?

#19 - Ha! good one!

Okay - let's continue .............

I selected some of your comments to react !!

roncarter03a.jpg

Sure, but who's who? One bass player has already been identified as Ron Carter. Who's the other? And this was part of the sound track of a film, but, probably, not even used in the film.

Monk is Monk - no discussion about that and everybody who wants to make a record ... Plays Monk will be unmasked. Misha Mengelberg is a great suggestion - it is one of our most interesting piano players and, most of all, composers. There are some tracks in this compilation that have relations to Misha, like track 13, which is a Misha Mengelberg cokposition. Misha is fascinated by Monk's rhythmical structures and chords and that's why your suggestion, Kung Ubu, isn't so bad at all.

This track, by the way, has been identified already by Nate and I have posted some comments about that in a previous post.

heather-cd.jpg

Something Old Something New - the treme of this compilation - you're right - a lot of old tunes played by more modern players, and modern tunes played by "elderies". And some retro bands too. I like Heather's pleasant light voice, and her versions from old tunes: I'm Old Fashioned is the title of her first album.

#19 - Ha! good one!

These few seconds express a lot of feelings ........... <_<

Thanks King Ubu. Although you started saying that this selection was all too smooth for you - i'm happy you didn't trash this compilation "Something Old Something New". I'm glad you( and I :rolleyes: ) survived.

Keep swinging | > 1000 times

Durium

Dear friends,

The discussion of the BFT # 61 Something Old Something New seems to be running dry ........ Thanks Nate,

Sidewinder, Snoozer, MG, Stereojack, Alex., JSNgry, Relyles and ............ King Ubu and ....... others for your comments. Maybe you love to post your suggestions ( I gave some hints, didn't I?) - please do it before the weekend.

If the discussion has been finished I suggest to post the answers of BFT # 61 later next week(end)................. to be

ready to go for Nate's BFT # 62, which will run in February next.

Durium

Thanks for your comments, durium! I'll have to do some reading now in this thread, and I'll wait for the answers to find out about some of the titles I really liked!

I see you're from Switserland? Well - then you should recognize the musicians of one of the unsolved tracks :blink:

Durium :excited:

Finally I am back online again, although the move is not yet complete, but the new comp is fine, and the DSL connection is

running.

Thanks for the very entertaining compilation which brightened up my day when I found out that I had to move the whole 8 x 15

feet wall of CD shelves by an inch .....

# 1 - great opener, no idea who it is, nicely over the top. Wonder if they play like this all the time. Is this a serious trad band or

a fun band?

# 2 - very nice version of "When you wish upon a star, if I'm not mistaken - great lyrical alto. Not Konitz - would like to hear

more of this player.

# 3 - dangoesque rendition of John Lewis' "Django", nice arrangement and very competent, but doesn't move me emotionally.

# 4 - I'm sure I have some of this pianist - Vince Guaraldi comes to my mind.

# 5 - This sounds more like a mandolin than a guitar - with drums and electric bass? I think I once had a CD of that guy, but

can't remember his name. Oh here it comes - is it these guys? http://www.jazzmandolinproject.com/ - they know what they're doing.

# 6 - now that's more tradtional, but only on the surface. David Grisman? Nice how he keeps the balance between old and new,

blues and western swing.

# 7 - Don't like the sound and intonation of that violinist - too sentimental for my taste.

# 8 - Now that's cute, I'd say European guys. Nothing too original, but nice.

# 9 - is this "Wolverine Blues" - Rather close to the original, but well done.

# 10 - This is great - "Salt Peanuts" done older style - this shows howe closely bebop was connected to preceding jazz styles.

Who is this?

# 11 - I expected "One O'Clock jump" after that intro. Excellent player. Tatum gone boogie?

# 12 - Recognized this during the first bar. Great stuff, great way to finish the long night of playing. I love this music and the

two movies concerned. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:dzfyxqrhldse

# 13 - Kind of Dolphy-inspired. Sax has a sound as if Steve Lacy were playing alto.

# 14 - some Bud Powell tune? I don't think it's Bud - too sloppily played, rather unimaginative. Not too much happening.

# 15 - I know that tune, but the name escapes me. I'm not a fan of that type of fast neobop.

# 16 - two bones, inspired by Jay and Kai, but not them. A little lackluster.

# 17 - Monk*'s Evidence played way too fast. At theat tempo they cannot place the chords correctly, rhythmically - that aspect

of the tune is much more important than the changes (which were boorrowed from Just You Just Me). Sorry, you didn't

understand Monk's tune ...

# 18 - a truly rosy singer - voice like Bev Kelly. Who is this?

# 19 - Uh - already over? nice closing tag!

Very well done - # 10 is something I would buy.

Thanks a lot!!!

p.s. edited for a typo and layout.

Edited by mikeweil

Thanks for your comments, durium! I'll have to do some reading now in this thread, and I'll wait for the answers to find out about some of the titles I really liked!

I see you're from Switserland? Well - then you should recognize the musicians of one of the unsolved tracks :blink:

Durium :excited:

Ah well, I don't know all about Swiss jazz, even less so about the traditionalists... but Henri Chaix might be hidden somewhere in your collection? I only have a track of his accompanying Ben Webster, and frankly I could never identify him...