Chronological Classics

Swinging Swede

Thank you Niko

I'll wait a few months more to have other news for that. If there are not out in the States, no chance to find them in France :(

It's really a problem everytime as the distributor (? not sure of the word) change twice a year.

It's a chance we aleady found the other s from the beginning to 1464 :lol:

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd assume that what's not available in France is not available anywhere else.

And by this point in time, I'd assume the label to be gone (at least as a CD selling label).

yes king ubu, anywhere else in Europe, perhaps yes but I thought it was printed in the USA, right ?

so easier to find by internet. This is not the case ...

I'd assume that what's not available in France is not available anywhere else.

And by this point in time, I'd assume the label to be gone (at least as a CD selling label).

yes king ubu, anywhere else in Europe, perhaps yes but I thought it was printed in the USA, right ?

so easier to find by internet. This is not the case ...

no, they are/were french... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronological_Classics )

I'am surprised as I never found the Chronological on Abeilles's site. We can only find nbrs out in 2007 !

We bought them at the Fnac in fact but they receive very few ex. and we have to go every week to be sure to get them as they never now the date of availability. The last distributor was "Nocturne", the one before around n° 1412 it was Night & Day, and the one before was "Melodie" ...

Thank you for your help, I see we just have to wait ... I will keep you informed if available in France first ^_^

:lol:

Chronological Classics was part of the Nocturne Jazz label which had purchased the Abeille label. Now Nocturne has been purchased a few months ago by Plus Loin.

It's been months since any new Classics has been sighted here.

Plus Loin doe not seem to be interested in continuing the Chronological Classics saga :angry:

Classics 1465-1469 were never released but were supposed to be the next batch:

1465 Benny Goodman 1952-1954

1466 Sonny Rollins 1951-1954

1467 Buddy DeFranco 1952-1953

1468 Pearl Bailey 1950-1953

1469 Tommy Dorsey 1939-1940

It would have been a very useful batch. The Benny Goodman would have had the remaining recordings before the 12" LP era. The Buddy DeFranco would have had the remaining MGM recordings (with Kenny Drew, Jimmy Raney, Art Blakey etc). The TD would have completed his 30s recordings and started to delve into the 40s when he modernized his sound with the help of arrangers like Sy Oliver and later Bill Finegan. Some great soloists would arrive in the 40s also, including Buddy DeFranco! I'm not crazy about readily available material like the Rollins, but perhaps that would have sold. It's a shame this batch didn't come out.

By the way, does anyone have info about what the next Blues & Rhythm titles would have been? The two last released were

5188 Sonny Boy Williamson 1953-1956

5189 Lonnie Johnson 1947-1948

but I'm thinking that they would mention in the booklet what the next titles were supposed to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Classics 1465-1469 were never released but were supposed to be the next batch:

1465 Benny Goodman 1952-1954

1466 Sonny Rollins 1951-1954

1467 Buddy DeFranco 1952-1953

1468 Pearl Bailey 1950-1953

1469 Tommy Dorsey 1939-1940

It would have been a very useful batch. The Benny Goodman would have had the remaining recordings before the 12" LP era. The Buddy DeFranco would have had the remaining MGM recordings (with Kenny Drew, Jimmy Raney, Art Blakey etc). The TD would have completed his 30s recordings and started to delve into the 40s when he modernized his sound with the help of arrangers like Sy Oliver and later Bill Finegan. Some great soloists would arrive in the 40s also, including Buddy DeFranco! I'm not crazy about readily available material like the Rollins, but perhaps that would have sold. It's a shame this batch didn't come out.

By the way, does anyone have info about what the next Blues & Rhythm titles would have been? The two last released were

5188 Sonny Boy Williamson 1953-1956

5189 Lonnie Johnson 1947-1948

but I'm thinking that they would mention in the booklet what the next titles were supposed to be.

Would like to see these release too. Thanks for the info!

Edited by jostber

Hi everyone,

Great forum this! i've following this forum for a while now. Classics 1465-1469 were never released but were supposed to be the next batch. I'm really not sure what is occurring with this excellent label, as far as I'm aware - although I might be mistaken that there were legal issues with a new label 'In Chronology'. This label had the same track listing as C' Classics and the same inlay photographs but different covers.

Brother 'Jaffa' a few threads ago I think had some insider knowledge on the fate of this legal wrangle, but nothing has been heard since. Like everyone else I hope that this great label will continue where it left off, we can only hope I guess and watch his space!

:unsure:

Does the owner say anything about it, and why are there no more releases in the Blues & Rhythm series as well? In my opinion the Classics series was the foundation for the the Penguin Jazz guide to Jazz on CD. This series made it possible to get a complete overview of the released material by early jazz artists, making this book much more authoritative and comprehensive.

Edited by jostber