BFT # 61

Durium

SOMETHING OLD SOMETHING NEW

Keep (it) Swinging

Love to post the answers of the 19 tracks BFT # 61. I really enjoyed the discussion, although I think that it might be wise to discuss the way how we organise the discussion. I'll be back later with that in a seperate topic.

Thanks for all your comments, remarks, additions and nice words.

I will post the tracks that have been identified (15 from the 19 tracks is very good) without further comments, because I posted that before in the discussion thread. Of course, feel free to post your comments later.

The Answer Thread.

1. (2:49)

AKI TAKASE plays "FATS" WALLER

AKI TAKASE SEXTET

takase.jpg

Aki Takase p - Eugene Chadbourne vol, banj, g - Nils Wogram tb - Rudi Mahall bcl - Thomas Heberer tp - Paul Lovens dm.

Lookin'Good, but feelin'bad ( Lester A Santly-Thomas Fats Waller)

recorded Hamburg - 2-3 June, 2003 (Enja CD 9152)

Aki Takase plays Fats Waller

2. (2:02)

morgan-cd.jpg

FRANK MORGAN - A LOVESOME THING

FRANK MORGAN QUARTET

©Frank%20Morgan%2002.jpg

Frank Morgan as ss - George Cables p - David Williams b - Lewis Nash dm.

When You Wish Upon A Star (Harline-Washington-Porter)

Recorded New York City, 5th - 6th of September, 1990 ( Antilles 422.848 213)

FrankMorgan%20autograph.jpg

I heard Frank Morgan playing in one of his last concerts before he passed away a year ago. A very nice man with a great sound. Peace and Love he wrote above his autograph.

A Lovesome Thing | The concert | Pictures made during the concert | Frank Morgan ( 1933-2007)

3. (2:46)

ROBERT NORMANN - The definitive collection, vol. 5

ROBERT NORMANN Robert Normann g - Håkon Nilsen b - Per Nyhaug dm - John Svendsen vib - Bjørn Helberg rhythm guitar

Django (John Lewis)

Recorded NRK studio in Oslo (Norway) 1st of May 1989

30923.jpg

A great video was released with this TV stuff. You can see some fragments in the contribution Harry Lime Theme (scroll down)

Robert Normann - Sweet Sue | Ding-Dong-Dang | Smålåt

4.(3:53)

4180AAHPGKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

VINCE & BOLA

VINCE GUARALDI & BOLA SETE

Vince Guaraldi p - Bola Sete g - unknown b and dm

People ( Merrill-Styne)

Recorded 1966 live at the El Matador San Francisco

Vince Guaraldi and Bola Sete

5. (2:50)

hamilton-cdmusica.jpg

HAMILTON DE HOLANDA - Musica das Nuvens e do Chao

Hamilton de Holanda bandolim 10 cordas - Daniel Santiago g - André Vasconcellos b - Marcio Bahia dm

Samba Nova (Baden Powell)

hamiltondeholanda-danielsantiago-1.jpg

Hamilton De Holanda

Recorded Rio de Janeiro December 2003 and January 2004

Rest will follow later !!

Keep swinging

Durium

Keep (it) Swinging

Next ones ......

6. (2:10)

I GOT RHYTHM - various artists

Kicking Mule KM 132 ( = Sonet SNKF 125 / 106 (?))

1324.jpg

Ton Van Bergeyk g

Anno 1926 ( Oscar Aleman)

Recorded July 1976

Kopi%20af%20tvb.jpg

The Fingerpicking Wizard Still Kicking | Ton Van Bergeyk Discography

7. (4:53)

LEO SLAB QUINTETTE

Leo Slab v - Philippe Guignier (solo)g - Bernard Antherieu and Marc Roger g - Gilles Schlaf b

A Pretty Girtl Is Like A Melody

Recorded Marseille 23-25th of March, 2000

slab-2a.jpg

Leo Slab (1920 - 2007) (by Georg Lankester)

8. (3:48)

yfrancoiscd.jpg

YVES FRANCOIS

YVES FRANCOIS SEXTET

Yves Francois tp - John Gorman tb - Frank Jackson ts vo - Bud Johnson p - Jeff Lindahl b - Clay Grossman dm

Hot Harlem ( James P. Johnson)

Recorded september Chicago 1986

franzsaxshadow30s.jpg

This track was an hommage to the tenor sax player Franz Jackson, who passed away May 2006. One of his friends and student of Franz is trumpet player Yves Francois, who released some recordings he made with Franz in the 1980s. He told me his remembrances and his fascination for his music after Franz passed away: Franz Jackson Remembered-1 | Franz Jackson Remembered-2

9. ( 2:40)

NEPTUNE BAND OF ZIMBABWE

neptune.jpg

Trywell Siankope co - Cesar Stephan Fratatoni co - Daniel Siankope tb - Cesar Joseph Fratantoni cl - Sabina Siankope banj vo - Junior Siankope b - Japhet Siankope dm

Dippermouth Blues (King Oliver)

Recorded in Breda May 1984

Even the picture I could find of this exotic band suggests as if we are talking about a rare 1920s field recording from the swamps of New Orleans. But, no - this band recorded in the 1980s in Europe. The musicians are not from the USA, they are inhabitants of Zimbabwe (Africa) and their leader is Papa Cesar Fratantoni, an Argentine dentists, who lived and worked in Salisbury, Zimbabwe. Fratantoni has been one of the founders of the well known Portena Jazz Band, then one of the leading jazz bands in Argentina and a purist if he is playing jazz. He used the time that he was working as a dentist in Africa to study the primitive music cultures to find out about the roots of the jazz. He uses, if possible, authentic instruments - Cesar jr. plays on a card board trumpet, a primitive trumpet from the 19th century. And he tried to find unspoiled musicians, to get the most basic New Orleans sound he could make. The results of this was the Neptune Band of Zimbabwe.

I heard this band playing at the Oude Stijl Jazzfestival ( = Traditional Jazz Festival) in Breda in The Netherlands, a leading festival of traditional jazz in those days, and I still have the shivers when I hear the music. A great band - a great experience I loved to share with you!!

The Neptune Band of Zimbabwe

10. (4:05)

ANACHRONIC JAZZ BAND

Anachronic1a.jpg

Patrick Artero tp - Claude Gousset tb - Marc Richard cl as tp co, Dominique Vernhes cl as, Andre Villeger cl as ts ss, Philippe Baudoin p, Lionel Benhamou g banj, Gerard Gervois tu, Dominique Obadia dm. reeds ( rest unknown)

Salt Peanuts ( D.Gillespie - Kenny clarke)

Recorded at the Theatre du Ranelagh, Paris, November 1978.

The Anachronic Jazz Band |

Salt Peanuts

So far so good ..................

I'll be back with the second half later.

Keep swinging

Durium

9. ( 2:40)

NEPTUNE BAND OF ZIMBABWE

neptune.jpg

Trywell Siankope co - Cesar Stephan Fratatoni co - Daniel Siankope tb - Cesar Joseph Fratantoni cl - Sabina Siankope banj vo - Junior Siankope b - Japhet Siankope dm

Dippermouth Blues (King Oliver)

Recorded in Breda May 1984

Even the picture I could find of this exotic band suggests as if we are talking about a rare 1920s field recording from the swamps of New Orleans. But, no - this band recorded in the 1980s in Europe. The musicians are not from the USA, they are inhabitants of Zimbabwe (Africa) and their leader is Papa Cesar Fratantoni, an Argentine dentists, who lived and worked in Salisbury, Zimbabwe. Fratantoni has been one of the founders of the well known Portena Jazz Band, then one of the leading jazz bands in Argentina and a purist if he is playing jazz. He used the time that he was working as a dentist in Africa to study the primitive music cultures to find out about the roots of the jazz. He uses, if possible, authentic instruments - Cesar jr. plays on a card board trumpet, a primitive trumpet from the 19th century. And he tried to find unspoiled musicians, to get the most basic New Orleans sound he could make. The results of this was the Neptune Band of Zimbabwe.

I heard this band playing at the Oude Stijl Jazzfestival ( = Traditional Jazz Festival) in Breda in The Netherlands, a leading festival of traditional jazz in those days, and I still have the shivers when I hear the music. A great band - a great experience I loved to share with you!!

The Neptune Band of Zimbabwe

MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MG

Keep (it) Swinging

The rest of the best .......

11. (3:02)

31T6J5AVC8L._SL500_AA180_.jpg

CAN'T STOP PLAYING THAT BOOGIE WOOGIE

OSCAR PETERSON TRIO:

Oscar Peterson p - Bert Brown b - Frank Garlépy dm

The Sheik of Araby (Snyder-Smith-Wheeler)

Recorded Montreal the 30th of April 1945

I do have a copy of this track on the CD Can't Stop Playing That Boogie Woogie - Rare Classics From The Vaults ( JASMCD 2581), but I'm sure it's on other reissues too.

Oscar Peterson (1925-2007) | Oscar Peterson - The Vocal Styling | Oscar Peterson's Van Gogh Story

12. (4:05)

kansas-city.jpg

KANSAS CITY BAND or the HEY HEY CLUB ALL-STARS

f042.jpg

Don Byron cl - Cyrus Chestnut p - Ron Carter b - Christian McBride b

Solitude (Reprise) (Eddie De Lange - Duke Ellington - Irving Mills)

Recorded 11th of May, 1995

5129R21CSWL._SL500_AA240_.jpgThis album contains more music from this "jam-session".Robert Altmans Kansas City

13. (5:36)

uglybeauty-cd.jpg

UGLY BEAUTY

ROBERT JAN VERMEULEN QUARTET

Benjamin Herman as - Robert Jan Vermeulen p - Frans van der Hoeven b - Han Bennink dm

Kneebus ( Misha Mengelberg)

Recorded Amsterdam 1-2 maart 2003

Ugly Beauty

14. (7:40)

piet%20kuiters-hermans%20cd-1.jpg

PIET KUITERS KWARTET (featuring BEN HERMAN)

Piet Kuiters p - Ben(jamin) Herman as - Hans Ruikrok b - Ben Schröder dm

Crossing Time (p. Kuiters)

Recorded Amsterdam 11th of December 1993

Piet%20portrett%2001.jpg

Piet Kuiters is one of those almost forgotten piano players, but his colleagues remember him as a very gifted musician. He passed away in 2005. He made but few records, but the one which contains the selected track was recorded in the early 1990s with a young alto saxophone player Ben ( now Benjamin) Herman. benjaminherman08-02a.jpg

When I asked Benjamin about Piet he was surprised that he wasn't forgotten and wrote on the front of my record copy Ik mis je wel hoor, which means in English I really miss you. I got into contact with Piet's son, Django, now living in Oslo, Norway, who told me his remembrances to his father.

Piet Kuiters - A True Amsterdammer-1 | Piet Kuiters - A True Amsterdammer-2

15: ( 5:48)

marshall-cd.jpg

JOHN MARSHALL QUINTET

John Marshall tp flg - Ferdinand Povel ts - Tardo Hammer p - John Goldsby b - Doug sides dm

With A Song In My Heart ( Rogers)

Recorded 2-4 August 2000

©marshall-povell2.jpg

John Marshall is one of those American jazz musicians that live most of the time in Europe. Last year I heard him in concert with the Dutch tenor saxophone player Ferdinand POvel, both excellent skilled musicians on their instruments. I liked that concert very much and loved to share their music with you.

John Marshall - Theme of no Repeat | John Marshall-Ferdinand Povel European Quintet | Concert photos | John Marshall - Bopera House

That's for now.

The rest will be posted later.

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Keep (it) Swinging

The last ones .................

16. (6:13)

twobones-cd.jpg

TWOBONES 2007 - GROOVIN' BONES featuring Dado Moroni

TWOBONES

Paul Haag tb - Danilo Moccia tb - Dado Moroni p - Isla Eckinger b - Peter Schmidlin dm

Love Is Here To Stay ( George Gershwin)

Recorded live at the Salzfass in Brugg (Ch), 8th of June 2007

moroni2.jpg

Twobones 2007

17. (2:40)

612nTU9Tx-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

EST PLAYS MONK

Esbjörn Svensson Trio

Esbjörn Svensson p - Dan Berglund b - Magnus Öström dm

Evidence ( Monk)

Recorded January 1996

18: (2:40)

heather-cd.jpg

HEATHER SIMMONS - I'M OLD FASHIONED

Heather simmons vo - Ted Beament p - Roger Curphey b - Mart Cecil dm - Mike Piggott v

Looking At The World Through Rose-Colered Glasses

Recorded ca 2006

I'm Old Fashioned

19: ( 0:13)

ANIMAL CRACKERS

animal1.jpg

Animal Crackers ( Space SP-6 )

Etienne Francois co v f whistle - Reginald Gruetters cl as kazoo - Dick Turksma banj kazoo - Gijs Horstink tu - Herman Openneer washboard kazoo bells commends

The Way I Felt This Morning Was Exactly The Same As My Girl Fell From The 2nd Floor in Indiana Blues

Recorded Amsterdam 28th of October 1973

This "fun" band was complete unknown outside The Netherlands. They played traditional jazz with a smile and Dutch lyrics and I remember their concerts as small surprise parties. Well, this small track was the "encore" on their first album. I posted it because of the extreme long title used for the 13 second lenghtly tune. ) I deleted the introduction on the BFT # 61 so I own you the complete track:

The Way I Felt This Morning Was Exactly The Same As My Girl Fell From The 2nd Floor in Indiana Blues

Animal Crackers | Washboard Blues - Herman Openneer

Hope you liked my selection !! Of course you're invited to post your "Oooohs !!" and "Sh... , I should have known that ... :excited:

Keep Swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Interesting - I can see how most of these cuts fit into your "Something old, something new" theme, but damned if I can get that connection from the Vince Guaraldi.

Please put me out of my misery :D

MG

sete03.jpg

Well, for me the Brazilian guitar player Bola Sete was a great discovery. I saw him playing on the DVD with the Jazz Casual program for the very first time and became fascinated by his guitar playing, which sounded fresh and modern to me. That same feelings, impressions, although I know some of you find it too modern, too technical, I have with the Brazilian bandolim player Hamilton de Holanda. So, not Vince was the reason for me to insert his track, but Bola Sete.

Keep swinging

Durium

Interesting - I can see how most of these cuts fit into your "Something old, something new" theme, but damned if I can get that connection from the Vince Guaraldi.

MG

sete03.jpg

Well, for me the Brazilian guitar player Bola Sete was a great discovery. I saw him playing on the DVD with the Jazz Casual program for the very first time and became fascinated by his guitar playing, which sounded fresh and modern to me. That same feelings, impressions, although I know some of you find it too modern, too technical, I have with the Brazilian bandolim player Hamilton de Holanda. So, not Vince was the reason for me to insert his track, but Bola Sete.

Keep swinging

Durium

Ah, I see.

MG

MG

sete03.jpg

Keep swinging

Durium

Ah, I see.

MG

Hmm ... I had that Frank Morgan CD but sold it after a few years - somehow it didn't thrill me as spectacular enough to keep it.

I had listened to the E.S.T. plays Monk CD at my retailer and didn't like it then ... neither do I now.

re # 13: I wonder why I didn't recognize a Monk tune, and believe it or not, at first I thought it could be Dolphy with Han Bennink ...

That this bandolim player sound so much like Western swing and folk blue is quite a thing!

re # 13: I wonder why I didn't recognize a Monk tune, and believe it or not, at first I thought it could be Dolphy with Han Bennink ...

It isn't a Monk tune, although the cover of the album suggest that - it's the only track that was NOT composed by Monk but by Misha Mengelberg. So, your first thought about Dolphy and Bennink ( and Misha) wasn't so bad at all !! :rolleyes:

Keep swinging

Durium

Missed this thread a few days ago. And here I was wondering where the answers were! D'oh! :wacko:

As I suspected, I have a couple of these tracks on discs, at least the Frank Morgan and the Guaraldi/Bole Sete - neither of which I recognized. :(

There are a few albums that I wouldn't mind checking out more of in the future, but there's mostly a whole bunch of names that I've never heard before but are now on my radar. And that's one of my favorite parts of these BFTs: hearing unfamiliar artists and discovering new music. And for that, Durium, my thanks.

Missed this thread a few days ago. And here I was wondering where the answers were! D'oh! :wacko:

As I suspected, I have a couple of these tracks on discs, at least the Frank Morgan and the Guaraldi/Bole Sete - neither of which I recognized. :(

There are a few albums that I wouldn't mind checking out more of in the future, but there's mostly a whole bunch of names that I've never heard before but are now on my radar. And that's one of my favorite parts of these BFTs: hearing unfamiliar artists and discovering new music. And for that, Durium, my thanks.

You're welcome RDK. It's always great to learn new names, new music styles, to cross borders and re-find forgotten treasures in your collection.

Keep swinging

Durium

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

this is sergej francois speaking, son of etienne francois, member of the animal crackers. i would really like to make, publish a tribute to this amazing band but i can use some help. please let me know here or mail at sdfrancois@hotmail.com.

thanks sergej

Keep (it) Swinging

The last ones .................

16. (6:13)

twobones-cd.jpg

TWOBONES 2007 - GROOVIN' BONES featuring Dado Moroni

TWOBONES

Paul Haag tb - Danilo Moccia tb - Dado Moroni p - Isla Eckinger b - Peter Schmidlin dm

Love Is Here To Stay ( George Gershwin)

Recorded live at the Salzfass in Brugg (Ch), 8th of June 2007

moroni2.jpg

Twobones 2007

17. (2:40)

612nTU9Tx-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

EST PLAYS MONK

Esbjörn Svensson Trio

Esbjörn Svensson p - Dan Berglund b - Magnus Öström dm

Evidence ( Monk)

Recorded January 1996

18: (2:40)

heather-cd.jpg

HEATHER SIMMONS - I'M OLD FASHIONED

Heather simmons vo - Ted Beament p - Roger Curphey b - Mart Cecil dm - Mike Piggott v

Looking At The World Through Rose-Colered Glasses

Recorded ca 2006

I'm Old Fashioned

19: ( 0:13)

ANIMAL CRACKERS

animal1.jpg

Animal Crackers ( Space SP-6 )

Etienne Francois co v f whistle - Reginald Gruetters cl as kazoo - Dick Turksma banj kazoo - Gijs Horstink tu - Herman Openneer washboard kazoo bells commends

Recorded Amsterdam 28th of October 1973

This "fun" band was complete unknown outside The Netherlands. They played traditional jazz with a smile and Dutch lyrics and I remember their concerts as small surprise parties. Well, this small track was the "encore" on their first album. I posted it because of the extreme long title used for the 13 second lenghtly tune. ) I deleted the introduction on the BFT # 61 so I own you the complete track:

Animal Crackers | Washboard Blues - Herman Openneer

Hope you liked my selection !! Of course you're invited to post your "Oooohs !!" and "Sh... , I should have known that ... :excited:

Keep Swinging

Durium